• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My hd

kramer56

Recruit
Reaction score
Hey guys its been forever since I posted or even come here but spring is coming and I have been talking truck upgrades with people and I have a question for ya's.
I have a PPE Economy with live scan data and well its been flawless and it goes to 120hp increase, I think i want more. I tow a 32' 5th wheel camper and weighs about 11000lbs. I am wondering if there is a tuner out there that can offer more power but be safe for towing the load without messing around changing tunes and all that. I have towed with my ppe in hp mode or level 3.
I have a stock tranny with S&B intake and turbo back magnaflow exhaust.
What do you guys think i should do or try or should I keep what I have. Right now a guy wants to buy my economy tuner so i was thinking PPE hot or something. I do like the way PPE shifts but is there something better that can help or benefit me with more towing power without screwing shit up.

And Nick how the hell are ya down there in that hot ass heat?????

Its nice down here, but you already knew that...

If you're looking for more power, just go with EFI live. Its unlimited what you can do.

i am looking for power but safety as far as equipment goes. EFI i know nothing about so i want power and towing can they do both. I like black smoke too lol.
I guess i need to read up on the efi live stuff and see if maybe my brother will go for it on his 2001 dmax if he doesn't buy my ppe economy tuner from me.

I miss ya up here buddy.

I agree with Unit453, go efi live, it gives you unlimited options. I also strongly suggest some transmission upgrades and a torque converter. Even on a 120hp tune your trans is on borrowed time.

All you need is to buy EFI and have someone tune the ECM for you. Plenty of people can do that for you, including sponsors here.

Trust me man, I've learned my lesson when it comes to programmers. If I could do it all over again, I woulda gone with EFI from the start.

Make some good money plowing this year?

yeah i need to research the efi live guys. where is the best honest info about the thing.

And yes i made money but i had to pay that new plow to my cousin so by now no not much lol, 5400 right off the top so not left with much, and yeah i own a house and have a wife and 3 daughters so i guess i took a loss on the money end lol.

Give Tony (moonshine) at Ridgerunner diesel a call...he can tune for your specific needs...you won't look back...

Nick and Pepp are right EFI is the only way to go, you will save money in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna go to EFI eventually myself. I'm done with programmers. They've served their purpose but the functionality of EFI is the way to go. You can tune from mild to wild. Or you can have someone else here tune it for you or email you specific tunes, mileage, hot, tire shredding, tranny frying, or granny tunes and its easy as cake.

EFI all the way. I made the Switch a Month or 2 ago and I love it.

You have total control over the Truck, it's Infinitely adjustable, and you aren't set on any amount of Tunes.

how much do these normally cost, ya know for the tuner and the tunes. Anyone have any mileage numbers either towing or around town from what they were before the switch to efi. am wondering if it would be worth the money to switch. and what about the hp gains?

Call Tony as Pepp suggested. He can tune an ECM for you, and you won't have to mess with any of the programming yourself.

How do you like the ppe hot tuner and what level can ya tow with a stock tranny, just curious. Did you run the ppe on your stock tyranny

how much do these normally cost, ya know for the tuner and the tunes. Anyone have any mileage numbers either towing or around town from what they were before the switch to efi. am wondering if it would be worth the money to switch. and what about the hp gains?

They are around $700-800. Then you need a Laptop also to Load the Tunes into the Truck with. When Loading a Tune, it goes from the Laptop, to EFI Handheld, then to the Truck.

Like said before, EFI is Infinitely Adjustable. You can make Tunes specifically for Mileage, Power, Towing, whatever you want. HP Gains are however much you want. You can make a Tune that adds 5hp or 1000hp. It's all up to you.

Well...I haven't been able to keep my foot out of it since around Feb 19th when I got the moonshine...but when I used to run the tow tune that came with my initial purchase of EFI live...I was getting around 12-14 towing and 19-20 cruising empty...

Even then I had sort of a heavy foot...not near as much as now...

Now I just throttle up and smile:D

Back