• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

my g80 14bolt ff 10.5 carrier diff went south need to replace pic & sound

hereismylife

formerly j k auto
Reaction score
Well I need to replace my carrier since it did not like being in my truck:mad2:. I am looking for a better stout carrier that can hold up to my truck.What are my options here?
14bolt ff 10.5

thanks

Here is a pic of what happened. Also it is stuck in posi mode:mad2:

Also hear is what it sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBL6rGPXcHE

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 18
The TRUETRAC is pretty nice, also a stout piece. I put one in a 9.5" awhile back and it works well. The only downside to it is going through turns, if you get on the throttle very hard it WILL lock and push you straight. After a few miles of driving it you get used to it though and it's not a big deal. The other drawback to them is for extreme offroaders, it will not lock if one tire comes off the ground.

Well I do not know if they actually have the true trac for the 10.5 still looking.

I did find out that the g80 I have is a 3 pinion locker. Here I thought it was a limited slip.

With that in mind I know I do want a locker but something like what I have but I don''t think I want a Detroit locker because it seems like it has/makes alto of noise....... It just keeps going down hilll.......:mad2:

Don't know that they are that noisy. My brother had one in his Mustang and I had one in my Toyota and I didn't notice much noise. The occasional clunk when it locked but that was all.

detroit locker all the way. It is cheaper in the full floater also. But maybe not if you need a carrier also. You may be able to find a good carrier at a junk yard. I got a 10.5 ff for my sub for 125.00. It was cheaper to buy the whole axle(10.5) and swap out my 9.5 sf.

Yea I am finding out it is not easy to find the open carrier. I can get new but a used one pita it is:mad2::eek:

Anyhow I do think I am going to go with the detriot like said before because it should hold and not break also I should not hear any noise over the diesel:thumbsup::D

How much is this piece worth the way it is?. I was told you need a install kit put it in. I thought all you have to do is pull the guts out and put just this piece in?

Attachments

• 3ef1_1.JPG
    3ef1_1.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 8
the install kit covers you when you are replacing gears. If you are just going to pop in the detroit, you should be fine. All you would be replacing is the diff guts. But you need an open carrier. That would usually involve bearings, races, etc. the install kit is usually pretty cheap for those axles, iirc.

Well I can get this peice by it self but I guess I need the install kit to.... Back to seeing what I can do to get this fixed.

thanks

Back