• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My first deisel. In need of '83 6.2 l knowlege.

Cowboy 7

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. Lookin' for some info. What would cause no exhaust on one bank of my '83 6.2 l ? Thnx fer yer help in advance.

Welcome to The Truck Stop, Cowboy 7, you have come to the right place. Some of these guys will chime in soon, there are great group of guys that will help you.

EPR stuck shut? Or closed due to cold engine. Assuming driver's side in question...

Gonna check it out in the mornin'. Reckon I can just pull vacuum to check it? Been ponderin' deletein' California emissions but not sure how to. Would like to leave it in place for the future (if I ever need it again). Suggestions? Thnx, any help is appreciated.

More details plz.

What side is not blowing exhaust? Does it do it when hot?

The EPR on the driver's side manifold is used for warm up and EGR pressure. This is from a rusty memory of our 1988 6.2.

It shuts with vac applied.

Collapsed pipe is also possible.

More details plz.

What side is not blowing exhaust? Does it do it when hot?

The EPR on the driver's side manifold is used for warm up and EGR pressure. This is from a rusty memory of our 1988 6.2.

It shuts with vac applied.

Collapsed pipe is also possible.
Passenger side ain't blowin' exhaust. Still didn't blow at runnin' temperature. Would like to just delete emissions, but don't know how. Been told it's easy.

Passenger side exhaust ain't heatin' up,I can hold my hand to it.
Talked to an 'ol boy,he said it sounded like the injector pump might be goin' out. (Just a shot in the dark) I dumped in some injector cleaner,let it run a spell. I did get "some" exhaust " not much",enough to at least "warm up" exhaust pipe,it did not get "hot" like the driver's side. Gonna put some more fuel in and let'er run. Maybe with any luck it will clear up some more. 'Ol boy said to rebuild the pump it would be at least $700.00! Lemme know what ya think. Thnx for yer time and help.

What are we working on? Van, truck, burb? New to you? Run good? Smoke? Pics? Any work done to the engine?

The intake for EGR allows exhaust to flow between heads. So the EPR may be on passinger side. It's at the manifold to pipe connection.

Diesels don't put much heat out at idle.

A clogged muffler or collapsed internally pipe is possible.

It's possible it lost some rockers or wiped the cam. Again, how does it run?

In this modem era throwing parts at like an IP is not wise. The IP will either fire all 8 OR None!

Get a video of it running and onto YouTube, then put a link to it here.
I cannot imagine one of these engines running on 4 cylinders.

Removing EPA required stuff can create issue as mentioned above, but removing to test and repair is ok, so long as uncy sam kiows you are putting it back on before driving on public roads...

What are we working on? Van, truck, burb? New to you? Run good? Smoke? Pics? Any work done to the engine?

The intake for EGR allows exhaust to flow between heads. So the EPR may be on passinger side. It's at the manifold to pipe connection.

Diesels don't put much heat out at idle.

A clogged muffler or collapsed internally pipe is possible.

It's possible it lost some rockers or wiped the cam. Again, how does it run?

In this modem era throwing parts at like an IP is not wise. The IP will either fire all 8 OR None!
She's a '83 Chevy G20 6.2 l Detroit.116,000 original mile camper van.I'm the second owner. Ain't had'er too long. She sat a spell before I got'er,so I've been replacin' all the things that go bad from sittin' and the problems that pop up(like this one). Done all the filters and mechanical lift pump. Vacuum lines, belts. She was runnin' fine until two days ago when I started 'er up that mornin' with this problem. She's not makin' any unusual noises,no valve noise no knocks. Just no exhaust on passenger side and runs doggy. Need more information lemme know.

Vans are different setups. Pics of engine, esp the manifolds. With vac line replacement... Maybe you got it right and it now works with a stuck vac switch. Maybe you crossed some hoses and are putting 100% vaccum to the EPR.

Can you confirm a vacuum power device on the manifold?

G20 is a 3/4 ton and may not have an EGR or EPR. can you confirm if there is a gold EGR valve under the air cleaner lid?

Vans are different setups. Pics of engine, esp the manifolds. With vac line replacement... Maybe you got it right and it now works with a stuck vac switch. Maybe you crossed some hoses and are putting 100% vaccum to the EPR.

Can you confirm a vacuum power device on the manifold?

G20 is a 3/4 ton and may not have an EGR or EPR. can you confirm if there is a gold EGR valve under the air cleaner lid?
Yep there's EGR under aircleaner. When I did vacuum lines, I took one off and immediately replaced it with a new one.(one at a time) It has been runnin' very wellthis way for awhile. Until two mornin' s ago. Ya got me thinkin'bout the muffler thing,I don't know how old they are, they look OK on the outside, but...the way she's runnin' kinda reminds me when I had a bad cat on another car I had.

0900c1528007b782.jpg
Just for reference of EPR IMO is stuck. Possible on both or just driver/passinger side. 1983 I don't know. 1988 had a Command Control Computer to run EGR and EPR. Hard to find anything about them. Do you have a service engine soon lamp?

Back