• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Cummins Conversion

That does look good. I tought you were desribing my build :D when you were talking about the motor mounts and firewall.....
I have a 1 ton dually crew cab 4x4 that I put a Cummins in. Has the 4L80e trans.

Nick
i am thinking doing this swap too, but I have a few ?????
It would be going in a 94 K3500 4x4.
1. Did you have to go with the body lift or is that something you wanted to do anyway??

2. Are you able to run the belt drive fan on it or did you go electric??

3. Where there any firewall mods??

All I can think of right know.

Joe

Nick
i am thinking doing this swap too, but I have a few ?????
It would be going in a 94 K3500 4x4.
1. Did you have to go with the body lift or is that something you wanted to do anyway??
You dont have to, it makes it alot easier, though, I did it to fit bigger tires without a lift, basically so I could run 33's with the torsion key bolts completey removed and no rubbing or 35's and some rubbing. And to keep the CV angles in check for pulling.

2. Are you able to run the belt drive fan on it or did you go electric??

Depends on if you make your own mounts or buy premade mounts, from say Autoworld. I have only a few hours of fab work into my mounts, but it was important to me to be able to run a mechanical fan if I choose to, If I ever hit a deer that I could keep the radiator out of the engine/fan. That also being said, I had to locate a fan assembly off of the first gen Dodge Cummins, there about 1.5"-2" shorter than the 2nd gen unit. So it gave me about 2+" inches of clearence between the radiator and the than, as opposed to .5" with the 2nd gen fan.

The only other issue I can think of regarding engine mounts is clearence for the transfer case by the torsion bar bracket. You can move it back about 3/4" - 1" max, and still have the bars in the lower A-arms. Im still debating whether or not that is the best route to go, I still have at least a .5" inch of the torsion bar in the lower A-arm yet. I think its a better idea than cutting the bracket clearencing it for the transfer case and then bracing it. Kind of hard to imagine what I'm talking about without actually getting there, but its not as bad as it sounds.

3. Where there any firewall mods??

There was a 1/2" on the firewall right at the trans tunnel, that I pounded flat, I could of got away without touching it, but it was sharp, and I didnt want to risk any clearence issues. If you dont run a body lift, I've heard that you may have to massage the tunnel, but I cannot confirm this.

All I can think of right know.

Joe

You got any other questions just ask or shoot me a PM and I can give you a call. Somtimes its alot easier to explain on the phone, I know when I was getting all the pieces together to start the conversion, I had headaches just thinking about it, but its really easy once you get the ball rolling.

Back