• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Cummins Conversion

Z79outlaw

Its tougher in Wisconsin
Reaction score
Dont know where else to put this, but this truck will definetly be my hot rod (even if it wont be that fast) when its done, but today I went to a little east of Findlay, Ohio bout 6-7 hours 1 way and got my motor, a 96 12v Cummins motor came out of an auto so its the 180 HP version complete with all the wiring, accesories, engine mounts and just about everything else I need for the conversion, but I think its the last time I take tollway's anywhere, what a pain in the arse, not to mention I paid 21.50 to get through 1 toll, the 20 musta stuck to the 1, all in all the trip back sucked but at least I got my motor now, I'll post some pics of it later if the rain quits otherwise it'll be tommorow.

Still need to source a intercooler, (not sure whether to use a D-max one or a P-stroke one yet) a NV4500 to cummins bellhousing, and then I'll start fabbing everything up. It will probably be a few weeks out yet, before I start, but I'll use this thread to show progess of the Dually to SRW conversion too.

Here is some pics of the new powerplant, looking at it I've got alot of research to do yet on what everything on this motor is and how it functions, but it'll all be worth it, my goal is to have it at the Harrisville Bratfest truck pulls on Labor day, thats a ways off, but the sooner the better, I'll be working on it every chance I get once I get the bellhousing, the only thing that is going to interfere is the little one is going to be born in about 3-4 weeks here but thats a good thing.

Attachments

• 102_0064 (Large).jpg
    102_0064 (Large).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 102_0065 (Large).jpg
    102_0065 (Large).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 102_0066 (Large).jpg
    102_0066 (Large).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 95
i love the sound of the cummins. i cant wait to see a cummins GM. keep us posted.

I was just looking at my engine today and doing research on it and was looking all day for the fuel shut off soleniod, and now I am thinkin that what I've been thinkin today was a kickdown cable of sorts now appears to be a manual fuel shut off here are the pics, I'll leave it like this until I get the motor in then once I have a another truck to look at I can change it to wahts supposed to be there. Anyone have any pics of how it is supposed to look?

Attachments

• 102_0067 (Large).jpg
    102_0067 (Large).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 102_0068 (Large).JPG
    102_0068 (Large).JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 66
I have a 94 12V sitting in our shop but the selenion is gone :incazzato:. Get yourself some pre-fab'd mounts and things will go a lot faster. We spent way too long making a crossmember. CrewCab59 over on DP sells them.

I thought about it but I'm going to go with the factory 94-98 mounts its going to be alot easier it looks like I'm just going to have to hang the motor where I want it and weld some 3/8 plate in there to tie into the factory mounts and reinforce them once I get them welded good, like on these pictures I sourced from Dieselpowermag

Attachments

• 0604dp_cummins_engine_swap_14_z.jpg
    0604dp_cummins_engine_swap_14_z.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 0604dp_cummins_engine_swap_13_z.jpg
    0604dp_cummins_engine_swap_13_z.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 79
If I had used 2nd gen mounts it would have helped. For $250 I figured pre-made mounts would save some time. Those are very simple looking,be easy to make with a CNC cutter or regular Plasma cutter.

Well I would've liked to of got alot more done this past weekend but really I didnt make any progess at all, (Tomah Tractor Pulls and budwieser)other than to shear off the break away bolt into the injection pump, oh well 3 bolts will hold it fine yet. Stripped most of the garbage off the motor I dont need. I did manage to grind a #100 fuel plate for it, but I took a little to much off and I'm gunna have to weld some material back on it. But I dont get everything else I needed deliverd this weekend. Just waiting to find a Bellhousing yet, and maybe I'll order a clutch this week. I've got to make some calls and see if I cant get someone to seperate the exhaust housing from the center section of the turbo, so I can finish re-building it.

This weekend the plan is to tab the KDP on the motor, replace the power steering pump, with the new hyrdoboost pump, finish rebuilding the turbo. And the motor will be ready for transplant. If things go smoothly maybe I'll get the box off and install the 3" body lift, and get the new rims mounted on the new 33's. No pic's this week, I'll get some next week, if I get a chance to work on it.

Got a little progress done today, got the motor all prepped and ready to go in the truck minus blocking off the coolant lines that ran to the old transmission heat exchanger. Got the power steering pump removed and converted the it to a hydroboost system and got the KDP (killer dowel pin) tabbed, it wasnt sticking out at all, oh well cheap insurance. Got the truck hauled to the shop i'm going to doing the conversion at. My garage was to small and I didnt have a welder. Hopefully tommorow the 3" body lift can go in, and the 6.5 can come out. Maybe with any luck I can get the motor mocked up and start fabbing the mounts. The son is going to be born on monday, so I dont know how much I'll be able to get done this week hopefully, he'll be a sleeper and I can get this all done by the end of the week. More to follow

Attachments

• 102_0072 (Large).JPG
    102_0072 (Large).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 52
  • 102_0075 (Large).jpg
    102_0075 (Large).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 53
Had the last week off work, but spent most of the time in the hospital, with the old lady and my new born son Brayden, has all his toes and fingers, healthy, sleeps all day, eats all night, couldnt ask for much more, but I got a chance to work on it Friday and Saturday, made a good amount of progress.

I got all the wires cut and labeled, and ones I'll need to make my stock gauge cluster work with the Cummins engine set aside. Cut and modified the core support to fit the Cummins radiator, still waiting for the intercooler so I can modify the core to make that work. Pulled the engine, trans, and transfer case out of the truck. And installed the 3 inch body lift but neglected to install it on the box, because I'm going to SRW it anyway. I set the motor in but I found out the motor mounts I was going to use will interfere with the IFS differential brackets and stock 6.5 motor mount pads. So I'll have to make up some custom motor mounts to tie the cummins engine in to the 6.5 motor mounts.

Im back at work this week and wont make it back to my truck until friday, but this coming weekends goals are fab up the motor mounts, drop in the engine. Move the transmission X-member back as well as the torsion bar bracket. Install the SBC 3850 DD clutch, input shaft, and hopefully make up the rest of the driveline, and send the driveshaft out to get lengthed and shortend. Then I can have the next weekend to concentrate on wiring, plumbing, and making the Intercooler fit.

Here are some pics, first one is the g/f and our son. And the last pics of this truck ever with the 6.5

Attachments

• 102_0117 (Large).jpg
    102_0117 (Large).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 102_0116 (Large).jpg
    102_0116 (Large).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 102_0107 (Large).JPG
    102_0107 (Large).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 102_0102 (Large).JPG
    102_0102 (Large).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 102_0094 (Large).jpg
    102_0094 (Large).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 38
3" body lift installed in the cab, 6.5 removal pics, and out of the truck, and front shot of the trans and tiny little 1-1/4" input shaft the new 1-3/8" input just dwarfs it in every dimension.

Attachments

• 102_0127 (Large).jpg
    102_0127 (Large).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 102_0126 (Large).jpg
    102_0126 (Large).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 102_0123 (Large).jpg
    102_0123 (Large).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 102_0122 (Large).jpg
    102_0122 (Large).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 102_0119 (Large).jpg
    102_0119 (Large).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 72
Just some pics of the trans out of the truck and a couple of the motor set in the engine bay, but as I stated before I couldnt get it where its final position will be due to the height and interference of the motor mounts.

Attachments

• 102_0130 (Large).jpg
    102_0130 (Large).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 102_0132 (Large).jpg
    102_0132 (Large).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 102_0134 (Large).jpg
    102_0134 (Large).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 102_0137 (Large).jpg
    102_0137 (Large).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 54
  • 102_0139 (Large).jpg
    102_0139 (Large).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 54
One the best parts of all of this is going to be just proving all the people wrong around here that say it cant be done, or I cant do it. Well I told them they can all check out the Chevy Cummins at the Labor Day truck pulls up by us. I wish I wasnt 2.5 hours away from it so I could be working on it every night after work. Its gunna take alot of work but, good things there alot of good guys out on the net making it easier for me, by giving me pointers on what they did with the Cummins conversions.

I plan on pulling it at 10-15 brush pulls a year around here, main goal to begin with is just get it driving and all the bugs worked out, I know where I want to end up with power which is about 600-650 on #2 with a single 2.6" turbo by the time I take it out of winter storage for next year.

So the remainder of this year will likely be just some mild bolt on's and I'll go a little crazy over the winter. I wont be anywhere near the limits of the 3850 DD this year, but I figure might as well just get the clutch right the first time.

Im gunna leave it stock with the exception of a custom #100 type fuel plate for a few weeks, but mod it until the stock turbo and injectors max out for this year, then the turbo, injectors, and o-rings or fire rings during the winter.

Back