• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My CDR experiment

All it's doing is using the vacuum between the air filter and turbo inlet to draw off the crankcase vapors. The vapors are condensed back into a liquid and drained back into the oil pan via the 'provent'.

It's a VENT.

The amount of liquid (oil) varies depending on the condition of your engine (ring seal)...

Last edited:
All it's doing is using the vacuum between the air filter and turbo inlet to draw off the crankcase vapors. The vapors are condensed back into a liquid and drained back into the oil pan via the 'provent'.

It's a VENT.

The amount of liquid (oil) varies depending on the condition of you engine (ring seal)...

Not quite, the crank case vapors go trough the provent,where the oil is condensed/held back by a medium/filter and drains back to the pan,the oil free vapors pass on to the turbo/intake

I got a 93 grand am with a quad 4 SOC engine.
It came factory with a kind of crankcase oil seperator.Square black plasic box located dr side top front engine.

mebby some of you should pick one of these things up at a wrecker,cut it open and see what it looks like inside,might give some idea's to try :agreed:
I'm not about to cut mine open(little to pricy).;)
No quad 4's at my wrecker left.:nonod:

The source of vacuum is the area between the air filter and turbo right?

Edit: as far as the 'provent'
The provent is just replacing the CDR, CC vapor traject is the same altough a little longer cause of the piping.
The most vac is drawn close to the turbo vane wheel where the small rubber elbow from the CDR terminates at the turbo .Further to the airfilter vac becomes almost non existent.
I was able to draw only 1 HG vac just after the filter and only a blip for a sec at WOT.(a dirty filter will draw more vac plus as a result more oil pull over from the CDR.

My high mileage 238k motor has lots of blowby and I'm sucking about 1 gallon of oil thru my CDR between oil changes.

Holy cow, a gallon, is that in 3000 miles? Have you tried 20W-50 diesel oil, like the Castrol, or Amsoil synthetic, maybe Ashton can give you a really good deal for a trial? I wonder if that would help and how it would affect oil pressure. What oil do you use now and your oil pressure? Of course Im sure when its cold out its not really an option.

In the winter I'm running 5-40 syn,in the summer 15-40 dino. I usually go 5k on my oil changes most of my driving is hwy miles. The last few k miles my oil pressure has dropped a tad. Hot I'm running about 35 idle 45 cruising on the factory guage.

My 95 and 93 both run a hair over 40 hot and neither use too much oil but those are squirter blocks. 45 isn't bad i dont think, but your oil eating problem is no joking matter.

Holy cow, a gallon, is that in 3000 miles? Have you tried 20W-50 diesel oil, like the Castrol, or Amsoil synthetic, maybe Ashton can give you a really good deal for a trial? I wonder if that would help and how it would affect oil pressure. What oil do you use now and your oil pressure? Of course Im sure when its cold out its not really an option.
The 95 in my sig was using almost twice that before i vented to the road,now it uses about 1/2 a gallon between changes.I use 15w40 in it but the truck sleeps in the garage so no cold start problems
Synthetic oil makes oil consuption worse in my experience plus it lowers oil press.

Synthetic oil makes oil consuption worse in my experience plus it lowers oil press.

I think that the lighter oils makes the consumption worse, less resistance to vaporization and will separate easier to get sucked out. Thats why I believe even though its synthetic, the Amsoil 20W-50 would reduce consumption and blowby, because it will always be heavier weight. Just not good for cold months.

So I put my adjustable CDR on today. Drove into town stopping every couple of miles to adjust it. It did exactly what I was hoping for. It lowered the vacuum pretty much straight across the board. It took a total of 7 full turns against the spring to get it where I wanted it. End result is that while driving moderately the vacuum is around-.65". At WOT it actually goes down a little to about -.3" indicating the diaphram is trying to close under high vacuum situations. Before the vacuum was pretty much linear with the boost and engine rpm now it really doesn't matter too much what speed I'm driving at the vacuum stays about -.65" and changes as I increase or decrease throttle pressure. Varies from about -.3" to -.9". The proof is still in the pudding so to speak as far as oil consumption. I can't help but believe it will make some difference.

Back