• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

my 6.2 build up

1twisted1

Reaction score
Well here goes nothing!!! Got the 6.2 that I'll be putting in the burban, it's a jasper reman that was bought in Oct of 2000 ( so say's Jasper, Call to get info on the motor) got the complete motor with wiring harness for firewall forward for $750.

The block has the casting Number 14022660 & FO12 so I won't know if I have got A good deal until I drop the Pan. Because from what I've read these where the worst castings:confused:is this correct?????Can someone decode the year for me please.

Tore into it little today, took off all the accessories and there brackets. Removed the Intake and all the fuel lines so I could get a look under the valve covers

Heads have Casting Number 14077162 & what I believe is an E with 258

Have included some pics, so let me know what ya think? And by the way if you're ever considering buying one of those garden carts for your wife, Id go with the yellow one form Lowe's doubles nicely as a engine cart!!! this will be the second motor that I've unloaded in front of the house and dragged back with the wife's cart!!:27:):h

Have also included pictures of the A-team turbo and what is comes with when you buy it from slim. :thumbsup:

Will update this post as I get farther into the project which will include dropping the oil pan and checking for cracks, if none installing a stud girdle, removing the heads,installing ARP head studs, new head and intake gaskets and full install the A-Team onto the 6.2. Keep a look out for new posts will be taking pictures and including how to's.

Attachments

• DSCN1553.jpg
    DSCN1553.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1556.jpg
    DSCN1556.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1557.jpg
    DSCN1557.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1564.jpg
    DSCN1564.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1565.jpg
    DSCN1565.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1571.jpg
    DSCN1571.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1569.jpg
    DSCN1569.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1568.jpg
    DSCN1568.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1566.jpg
    DSCN1566.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1583.jpg
    DSCN1583.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Date code info on rear of block behind where a distributor for a gasser is located.A series of 6 #s.The rockers are the later style stamped(after 87 I believe) One thing you MUST check before installing your new find..pull the rockers off shafts and check every sq inch of the shafts for cracks.While apart,also check the hole where the rocker pivots on the shaft to make sure holes in rocker not egged.(where shaft goes thru) bottom sides get worn,and nows the time to fix it if needed.You know if something is wrong,it will be under the turbo every time cause its hardest to get to.

I strip all the ductile iron(cast) rockers out of early 6.2s and save them.They use a metal spring for alignment instead of nylon buttons,the shafts seem harder and much better design I feel.I will post a pic tonite of one.I stripped the stamped out and installed the cast ones in my 6.5.The old 6.2s,gotta love them.I had a burb that was a mobile office that idled 10-12 hrs/day with the a/c on for years.But the body was ready to fall off when I gave up on her,sorta like the ex wife....

Last edited:
Can anybody help with the block & heads casting numbers?? & date codes??

Block is 6.2l cast June 01, 1982
Heads also 6.2 diesel cast May 25, 1988

First letter of date code is month, A=January B=February, etc.
next two digits, are day of the month
last digit is last number of a particular year

Don't know good or bad, block would be very early 6.2 block.

THANK-YOU chickenhunter!!!!!! Now I know what I'm dealing with, like I said it's a Jasper Reman out of a 87 van that was bought in 2000 so it could have been any number of years..

You have what is considered one of the better blocks available.You also did well as the heads are late castings(same thread count as 6.5 turbo on the injectors and correct height also) you actually scored a turbo ready setup as those injectors wont hit the manifold on the pass side.I will snap a pic of those ductile rockers,Im headin to the garage now.Will check rocker inventory also.Did it come with starter bracket??Do not run it without one(thats how I got parts motors,starter pads broken)

not the best pics..I have seen a few crack right at the bolt.This motor had 212K and a odd noise for several thousand miles before I found this shaft cracked.The pic of the old style rocker shows how much heavier the old style is over the stamped...the wear on the bearing inside the rocker(yep,a bearing) oils thru a slot from the pushrod..showing wear..but not bad for 212 K..and the shaft and spring setup,instead of nylon buttons.I wouldnt bother rounding up a set unless yours are worn...sorry,I dont have enough to make a complete set right now. Tired

Attachments

• shaft rkr 006.jpg
    shaft rkr 006.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 41
  • shaft rkr 005.jpg
    shaft rkr 005.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 40
  • shaft rkr 004.jpg
    shaft rkr 004.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 43
  • shaft rkr 001.jpg
    shaft rkr 001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 43
UPDATE

This must be my week!!!:cheers2::biglaugh: Came home to find that my 6.5T parts( upper/Lower intake & exhaust manifolds) that I bought off EBAY had arrived. And to my surprise they where actually NOS Parts like stated.. This has to the best deal of the year!!!!! $237.00 for all of it shipped to my door!:D Take A look.

Attachments

• DSCN1584.jpg
    DSCN1584.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1585.jpg
    DSCN1585.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1594.jpg
    DSCN1594.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1591.jpg
    DSCN1591.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1590.jpg
    DSCN1590.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1593.jpg
    DSCN1593.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1592.jpg
    DSCN1592.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 29
Stamped rockers replaced cast in '86, this was to eliminate the problems associated with premature wear in the bushing in the previous cast versions.

UPDATE

This must be my week!!!:cheers2::biglaugh: Came home to find that my 6.5T parts( upper/Lower intake & exhaust manifolds) that I bought off EBAY had arrived. And to my surprise they where actually NOS Parts like stated.. This has to the best deal of the year!!!!! $237.00 for all of it shipped to my door!:D Take A look.

Nice! so clean :thumbsup:

UPDATE!!!!!

Have ordered APR Head Studs,Melling High Flow Oil Pump & Full gasket kit for the rebuild should be in this week.

Also received the Function 7 one-piece billet T3/T4 Turbo Oil Drain Flange with a male -10 AN (JIC) flare fitting machined directly onto the flange for my ATT & the Turbo Adapter Flange that allows me to bolt a T3 turbocharger to a T4 manifold -or- a T4 turbocharger to a T3 manifold. Going to see if this gives me any more room between the turbo and the motor.

Got the heads and oil pan off today!!

Everything looks great!!! See pics below.

Now I have a question What piston did the 6.2 come with stock? After dropping the pan
I noticed that the pistons in this motor are Mahle and are white in color? Any Ideas???

More to come this week

Attachments

• DSCN1647.jpg
    DSCN1647.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1649.jpg
    DSCN1649.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN1644.jpg
    DSCN1644.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1586.jpg