• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My 2005 Yukon XL

Messed around with the ole parasitic draw test finally. I am drawing over 2.5A in resting state on the "Radio" fuse. I need to find out what is on that circuit. I do have radio issues, bose amp doesn't work. I checked the amp fuse, replaced the amp, changed the sub, and still nothing. The radio works. But no bass at all. Also the door chime is very faint.
20240316_170016.jpg
20240316_170036.jpg

For now I pulled the fuse, we will do a test this week and leave it off the charger. Any chance one of you have a radio circuit wiring diagram for 03-06GM w/bose? Thanks!

Last edited:
Change out the Bose head unit (radio). It sounds like you have a short somewhere in the preamp circuit, or the switching circuit that powers up the sub woofer amp, that is adding to the normal key off draw of the radio head unit's memory. The fact that you're not getting a sub amp turning on and powering up, nor sound from the subwoofer, after replacing both of those and the fuse for the sub amp points to the switching circuit being the culprit.

Not sure how much of a deal it is to get to the head unit main connector, but I would try disconnecting it and plug the fuse back in and see. that will verify if the head unit is the issue or there is something else on that circuit causing a draw.

Though I have never done the test using a digital meter, I have always used a test light looking at how bright or dim the bulb is. the ECM will always pull some, and can kill a battery if left sitting for a couple weeks. my Dodge ram will kill the battery flat in two weeks if I don't disconnect it.

Change out the Bose head unit (radio). It sounds like you have a short somewhere in the preamp circuit, or the switching circuit that powers up the sub woofer amp, that is adding to the normal key off draw of the radio head unit's memory. The fact that you're not getting a sub amp turning on and powering up, nor sound from the subwoofer, after replacing both of those and the fuse for the sub amp points to the switching circuit being the culprit.
I agree, wish I could just get a JY unit on the cheap. But the stupid pass lock requires the dealer to unlock the vins.

Ive been meaning to replace the head unit, but it's a big cost. To make the remaining system operate correct (bose, steering controls, and rear entertainment) you need several wiring harnesses. The cheapest I can do it for is $250. I'm gonna try to find some schematics and pull this fuse for a few weeks to ensure this is it.
Not sure how much of a deal it is to get to the head unit main connector, but I would try disconnecting it and plug the fuse back in and see. that will verify if the head unit is the issue or there is something else on that circuit causing a draw.

Though I have never done the test using a digital meter, I have always used a test light looking at how bright or dim the bulb is. the ECM will always pull some, and can kill a battery if left sitting for a couple weeks. my Dodge ram will kill the battery flat in two weeks if I don't disconnect it.
I jave been thinking about this. Issue is I need to rip the dash apart and pull the head unit to access the pigtail. It's definitely the next step as I know sometimes other items may be on the radio circuit.

Finally determined I had a battery issue. Assuming a cell was going bad. So far so good, I purchased 2-batteries for my future secondary install once I get the mounting plate finished. Old battery was dated 2018.
20240325_140147.jpg

I did get a cheaper lower CCA battery only 600 when it had an 800 in it knowing I was doubling up the batteries. Really just doing the dual for capacity sake when running the plow.
20240325_135452.jpg

Back