• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Multi-stage PCM

Outch. Didn't wanna stir the pot, I was just enquiring, especially about OBD-2....

Not a problem, Al, just regular link maintenance, following the same rules that have been around forever.

As far as I know, KOJO was also building a multi-stage chip, like Buddy's. I am not sure if he was only doing OBD-I chips, or if he was reflashing OBD-II PRMs, as well.

Patrick at Walking-J (a site vendor you can link to) used to carry KOJO tunes, but I don't see them listed there anymore.

(I don't know if that means he isn't carrying them or if KOJO quit making them). It might be worth sending Patrick a PM to see if he can clarify for us.

Jim

Patrick at Walking-J (a site vendor you can link to) used to carry KOJO tunes, but I don't see them listed there anymore.

(I don't know if that means he isn't carrying them or if KOJO quit making them). It might be worth sending Patrick a PM to see if he can clarify for us.

Jim

I still do obd1 and obd2 flashes and patrick has told me he has some problems with store webpages, which he promised to fix (i dont know when)

Hi, KOJO! Thanks for chiming in and clearing that up for me... I hate giving out the wrong information!

will switchable OBD2 tunes be offered in the future?

I'd be interested in that.

Although a purchase would be a fair ways off.

Here's the flash chip on a OBDII board for those are wondering why it's not quite so easy:

DSC03998flashchip.jpg

Pins all around and embedded in compound. Not an easy proposition to remove or install a header. I would think on an OBDI you remove the chip from the holder, pop in an adapter (moates sells similar things) and you're good to go for multi programs.

Then there's the matter of the hardware construction and integration with the OBDII architecture.

As I understand it, OBDII has more tables in it's program than OBDI, which is might issue with storage on add on chips.

Doable, but not easy....

Would an OBD-1 PCM work on an OBD-2 truck, at least on a 1996 OBD-2 which hasn't the ON-Star system and the variable orifice power steering?

Nope.

You'd have to at least repin the wiring harness to run an OBDI PCM in and OBDII truck.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if the two PCM's evne use the same harness connectors...

Yup, that's what I was wondering too. If we can match OBD-2 harness and OBD-1 PCM, we may be able to tweak the chip on the OBD-1 PCM and have it matching multi-tune OBD-2

Well, no.

Your truck would be OBDI then.

The OBDI and OBDII PCM's share no internally "swappable" components.

OBDI has a removable flash chip. That's how they are getting away with multiple tunes. The remove the stock chip, install an "adapter" that emulates the chip and drop the new programs on the "emulator". They just have multiple programs on the emulator and a dsp switch. As I mentioned, you can see similar setups at Moates.net

OBDII is soldered right to the board and won't accept any of the readily available emulator chips. It will all have to be custom built.....

Yup, that's it ak.

I don't know what are the differences, pros and cons OBD-2 vs OBD-1

I know that from 1997 and upwards, they added ON Star navigation and EVO steering, and, other than that, I don't know what OBD-2 brings more than OBD-1, except a may be more complete interface for scanners.

I drove OBD-1 and OBD-2 trucks, I don't see drastics improvement from OBD-1 to OBD-2

So, retrofitting an OBD-1 ECM in a 1996+ truck will transform it back in a OBD-1 truck, but will allow it to access 6 levels of power?

Just a guess, but a good one... I doubt you can change from one to the other without serious adaptation. For example-you can do the TCC mod in OBDI trucks, but the tranny solenoids in OBDII trucks will burnout without PWM control... another would be the high-idle mod... in one, you run a ground. In the other, you run power.

There are a lot of wires behind that PCM,and there are a lot of things connected to them.

Just a guess, but I think it might be more complex than it may appear.

Back