• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

muffler or straight pipe?

WhitetailAddict

Recruit
Reaction score
How many of you put an aftermarket exhaust system on your truck and put a muffler on it? I am curious because mine has a 4" Bullydog system that was on it when I got it and has a muffler in it. I am thinking of cutting it out, due to it being welded in, and replacing it with a straight pipe. I just don't want too much more cab noise when cruising down the highway. Does anybody notice a difference in that area from the muffler to a straight pipe?

I hava an MBRP turbo back it originaly had a muffler now it is strait piped and I love it even more. I did not get any more cab noise strait piped that with a muffler untill you open it up. It is not that bad.

I agree with psyco66!

I bought a MBRP turbo back exhaust and when I put it on I put the muffler on started in reved the engine shut it off and did it with the muffler off. What a difference! I never even put the muffler on and never will. You can notice a little more "drown" if your pulling a loaded trailer with 5k+. But turning up the stereo pretty much takes care of it!! Take it off.. You wont be sorry! :cornut:

no muffler here. i haven't had one since about 3 days after i bought my truck.

come to think of it.... i don't think a vehicle i own has a muffler...

mufflers restrict exhaust flow, less restriction = quicker spool up of your charger, and lower egts. To hell with the noise, as the old adage says, if its too loud, your too old!

Mbrp here too. I looked through what they call a muffler and it looks like a straight pipe with baffles in it. I kept mine in, it sounds good but I wish it was a little louder, hmmm.:biggrin5:

I've been straight piped for going on 2 years. I do not have any issues with noise in the cab, but I am thinking about putting the muffler back on and even turning the baffles forward. With my modified VVT vanes, and with a driveway that is at the bottom of a steep valley, I think my neighbors will appreciate it.

Plus, I just don't want to continue to draw that much attention to myself for all kinds of reasons...

Relatively smokeless tuning and quiet exhaust is what it's going to take to keep the party rolling IMHO...

Judgenot, order a muffler delete pipe from MBRP, it's like $30, The sound difference between the baffled muffler and the delete pipe is significant. Make the call yourself and you can swap back and forth between them.

I have an MBRP and I left the muffler on my truck... partly b/c a straight piped 7.3 sounds kinda "clacky"... the muffler helps keep that to a minimum...

but on a 6.0, straight piped is the only way to go! It all depends on the truck I guess..

Sorry for highjacking....
Has anyone cut out the muffler on the stock system? I'm not ready to buy the 4" exhaust. Is there any mileage, or HP gained? Should I just wait and do a straight piped 4" exhaust?

Sorry for highjacking....
Has anyone cut out the muffler on the stock system? I'm not ready to buy the 4" exhaust. Is there any mileage, or HP gained? Should I just wait and do a straight piped 4" exhaust?

I know several people that removed their muffler and resonator/catalytic converter (depending on where your truck was made) and it does improve performance and mileage and lower egts. But It is no substitute for a big turbo back.

i ditched the muffler on the stock exhaust within two days of having the truck. i didn't think it made any difference other than sound. i've never noticed any HP gains or mileage with an exhaust, but with every modification i've done, i think my right foot gets heavier for some reason...

Some food for thought:

Loud exhausts and black smoke attract the wrath of the politician and they will continue to pass laws further restricting our ability to modify our vehicles and/or ban them from certain areas all together. Ultimately we ALL lose.

Yes, I was young and stupid many years ago and I have also seen first hand how the tree-huggers and their political puppets have strangled our sport and our lives in general.

Our ability to drive on public land has already been severely restricted due to the actions of some idiots that can't respect what we have. Louder exhausts and more smoke, will do the same for diesels, unless we start being more responsible.

We can still make plenty of power from our trucks without laying out a black smoke screen or blowing out our neighbor's ear drums. I get more satisfaction from quietly blowing away the idiots in their rice burning POS shoeboxes with the fart can for exhaust, without attracting attention to myself with lots of noise and smoke. There have been more than one occasion where the other guy got pulled over because they attracted attention from the cops, while I quietly drove away. A little discretion and diplomacy will go a long way towards preserving what we have.

End of rant.

I agree with that to a point Ray. I don't think all noise and smoke is bad, I think we need to use it responsibly. Don't blow smoke just because you can, and don't run a straight piped truck wide open through a residential neighborhood at 3am. I do believe the general swing of the sport is heading this way, somebody needs to tell the cumminGs guys though...lol.
I live in a rural area, not alot of law enforcement so I may not see the impact of loud exhaust and smoky tunes like some do.

Back