• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MPG gauge

Well if some computer savvy guy could relate fuel mm3 to mph they could come up with a formula to give mpg.

Not sure if you're referring to the old vacuum 'fuel miser' gauge or are you talking about a flow meter?

I had one of those Stewart Warner vac/fuel miser gauges in my old 78 Ford F150 Ranger XLT w/ 400m engine (back when the Ranger was still a full size truck). It would get 18 mpg on the highway.

I use my boost gauge the same way - more boost= more fuel.....less boost = less fuel. When running back and forth to work (empty) I don't let the boost get over 5 psi. I'm averaging a little over 20 mpg.

A flow meter as above is the only thing that world work. Except for the fuel return from the injectors and the IP being a 'leak' back to the tank. You could monitor both.

Boost is a good indicator of load.

The computers do not have a provision to calculate this or drive a gauge or display. Some programmers may have this option on the 'newer' trucks. Not gonna do my 93...

OBD2 is easily done, but OBD1 would require a rather expensive FLOWSCAN meter to hooked in to monitor the feed and return lines for fuel actually used. OBD2 can be done with a simple guage that plugs into the data port.

http://www.scangauge.com/

For Scangauge
So what happened on OBD2 trucks between 96 and 98? For 96/97 it specifically says does not work on GM diesel.

Cheers
Nobby

I've also heard mixed results on putting a Scanguage on a 6.5... Might be worth a try though, but I'm not sure if it'd work with your '95.

Back