• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mpg difference between 2wd & 4wd?

stricker76

Reaction score
Still trying to find a truck, but now thinking a 4wd would be handy in the winter up here. But depending on the drop in mpg, might not be worth it for me. Tried searching but all i can find is differences between engines not 2wd & 4wd.

There is only a 1-2 mpg difference between a 4wd and 2wd, presumably due to the weight difference. I would wager that you will see that in all generations of the Duramax engine.

The 4wds seem to hold their value a bit better, and I cannot think of a single time that I was driving a 4wd and wished that I had a 2wd instead.

4wds do require a hair bit more maintenance (diff and front axle fluids), but it is worth it to me.

I agree with Bud. I've seen 22 and some change cruising at 70 mph. This is out of a 4 wheel drive. I've also seen 2wd trucks that dont even get close to that. None of these trucks are the same.

Where are you located at?

As what Bud said, the 4x4 is a lot easier to sell. I would never own a truck like this in 2wd.

I wouldn't let mileage stop me. Not much difference.

I agree with everyone else and say just get the 4wd. I never have, nor ever will own a 2wd truck, but thats just me. 4wd holds its value longer and will come in handy even when you think you may never need it. The 1-2mpg difference/a little bit more maintenance is all that you will have to deal with

Well, looks like its 2wd for me. Can't find any decent 4wd in my price range. I drove a 4wd truck last winter and the only times i used it was doing things i never should have been doing LOL. I can buy a newer lower mileage truck in 2wd, which is worth it more for me. Thanks guys.

2wd?? Whats that?):h

It was all I could afford at the time since I paid cash on the spot and found a truck that was 2+ yrs old with only 7800 miles on it. I have owned the thing now since 05 and just turned it over to 35K.

It is all I need for a truck in my book

I will NEVER understand buying a 2wd truck. I think I paid a total of $1000 extra for my dodge when it was brand new. I can think of a ton of times when friends of mine with 2wd trucks have said, "I wish I had a 4wd", but I've never heard anyone with a 4x4 say "man I wish this thing was 2wd". I may suffer a 2 mpg deficit with the 4wd, but I can't imagine owning a 2wd truck personally. I do get snow where I live, but it didn't really influence my decision.
Scott

I will NEVER understand buying a 2wd truck. I think I paid a total of $1000 extra for my dodge when it was brand new. I can think of a ton of times when friends of mine with 2wd trucks have said, "I wish I had a 4wd", but I've never heard anyone with a 4x4 say "man I wish this thing was 2wd". I may suffer a 2 mpg deficit with the 4wd, but I can't imagine owning a 2wd truck personally. I do get snow where I live, but it didn't really influence my decision.
Scott

I chuckled when I read your response but I have 2WD and I like it. I live in Colorado where the winters are snowy and never felt I needed the extra traction either. IF it is too bad outside, I stay home because enough other people who think they have the world by the balls and wont get stuck are out on the road causing enough problems. I like mine and those with 4WD like theres but I am glad there is a choice.:thumbsup:

If it wasn't for my 4x4 last night, I wouldn't of made it to my best friends brother to pull him out of a ditch. It was only 8 degrees last night. Wrecker couldn't even get to him because it was so slick!

Your right, not everyone has a need. It's a choice really, but I'm not going to risk needing it and not having it.

I will never own one of these trucks without 4 wheel drive. The Duramax engine is so heavy that if you are unloaded you will get stuck on wet grass. Any loss in fuel economy, if at all, is worth it when you consider the increased resale value, added safety of 4 wheel drive in inclement weather and the added utility.

Just try pulling a boat out from a slimy boat ramp while only using 2-wheel drive. You'll be lucky if you can get the truck out by itself, let alone while pulling out a 10,000 lb center-console boat & trailer. Even a 2,500 lb skiff can be problematic with a 2-wheel drive truck.

I've had many instances when I had to kick it into 4WD just to drive over an ice bump on my driveway when it is icy.

If it wasn't for my 4x4 last night, I wouldn't of made it to my best friends brother to pull him out of a ditch. It was only 8 degrees last night. Wrecker couldn't even get to him because it was so slick!

Your right, not everyone has a need. It's a choice really, but I'm not going to risk needing it and not having it.

That's crap, I could have made it. Would have taken a while though!:D

That's crap, I could have made it. Would have taken a while though!:D
Hill + Solid Ice = :yikes:

I should of brought my camera. Nothing like all 4, a straight pipe, and a slippery surface.. :D

cough cough pump rub cough cough :)

True there is not much of a difference in MPG, but IMHO, calling a friend to pull you out on that rare occasion you get stuck, and pay them with a case of beverage and possibly fuel is cheaper than dealing with pump rub, and all the nightmares 4wd creates for ease and cost of maintenance (filter adapters, where the stream of oil falls from motor, more u-joints, etc.

If it is bad enough, I stay home! :) If I have to go out, I make sure there is a tow strap and some tire chains in the crossbox! :)

Couldn't ever see having a 3/4 2WD truck, TBH. Where we live there is always a field to drive through, or a back road to explore. 4WD is almost a necessity in MN, IMO.

Theres only two reasons i can think of to not buy a 4wd duramax.

1. Your less likely to turn it into a pulling truck and never drive it again (see below)

2. If you do pull it and have a moderate lift, the front driveshaft wont hit the NSBU switch and kick you into nuetral

3. If you do pull it you dont have to worry about supporting every aspect of the front end only to still blow it up (like me)

4. It kinda robs fuel economy.

Personally id get 4x4 no matter what. Only time i can see getting 2wd is if you never leave major highways.

The pump rub is an issue on pre emissions trucks. But can be fixed with a $45 plate, some sealant, a gasket and about 1.5 hours worth of time.

These trucks do get stuck on just about anything when in 2wd. The motor weighs about 1150 assembled and the trans weighs 330lbs dry. With fluid its about 375lbs. So thats a lot of weight thats mostly proportioned to the front. Ive gotten stuck on a moderate slope with wet grass.

The front diff isnt heavy, one guy can lift it out even me and im just a tall lanky guy. id say its 80lbs. The t case is about 60lbs id say. Theres all of 2 quarts of 75w90 Sythetic in the front end and about 2 quarts of ATF in the T case. With the long service interval on both of these parts your not going to break the bank and with less than 200lbs of additional equipment the fuel economy wont hurt much. There may be a bit of rolling resistance but not much.

Back