• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Motor Swap? Or just swap the heads?

doughboy18718

Diesel Retard!
Reaction score
I tried to do a search for this but couldn't find anything.....

Will the heads from a 2000 6.5 fit a 94 6.5? My buddy bought my truck and is going to fix it. We may have a donor motor out of a 2000 K3500, but we're not sure what can be swapped between the two. I'd appreciate any info regarding what can and cannot be swapped. Thanks guys!

Pretty much everything will interchange except the ecm and if the 94 is a vin s the IP will interchange but not if it is a vin F

By now a 94 F engine was probably serviced with a new IP and chip that is compatable...

But just check the model or part numbers, part numer ending in 29 is the 5068 pump that is different. If so the ECM/E-PROM is not compatable.

the strange thing is even on my L56 S engine, they say there is a difference on 94's built prior to January 94, and when I ordered a chip with a code that said its for 94's built prior to Jan 94 like mine was, it didnt work right, because I think someone updated the E-PROM in the past with the newer 5521 pump, but I couldnt tell because it had a hypertech with no E-PROM code designation. Now I use a chip for post Jan 94 trucks with my 5521 pump and it works great.

If they are both truck engines, then yes the actual engines will interchange. The center turbo engines like those in a HUMMER and VAN use a different bolt pattern for the intake mounting on the heads, and some of them also were not tapped for the oil supply line in the front since the van's and hummer's fed the turbo oil from the rear of the engine. As for the IP there are only 2 out there. The 5521 and the 5068 that came on some of the early 2500, 3500's and the HD's. Not all 94's got the oddball pump either, but like stated above most of them have been replaced. GM just recently discontinued the 5068 as well. The only real major differences between the F and S engines is the EGR and the pre-cups in the heads.

Pretty much everything will interchange except the ecm and if the 94 is a vin s the IP will interchange but not if it is a vin F

How much difference is there in the ECM between the 94 and 2000? Anything specific we should know?

The 94/95 ecm's wll not interchange with 96- 2000 ecm's. 94/95 are OBD-1 whereas 96-2000 are OBD-11 Leo
Some say a certain # of 96's were also OBD-1​

Back