• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'mornin', gents

95Suburban6.5

Reaction score
Older guy here who has a harder time gittin' over/under my vehicles than I used to so I'm more likely to pay some young buck to do things under the hood nowadays. As the name suggests, got an old '95 Suburban K1500 with a 6.5, around 230k on the odometer. It is a "heavy half-ton" with 8-lug axles. My son found me an '06 F250 King Ranch crewcab which I bought with a mind to replace the Suburban, Even though the Ford was like new inside and out and had been bullet-proofed, etc, I didn't like it....rode like a buckboard compared to the Suburban not to mention not nearly enough room to stretch out in the back and the factory lift of the 4WD is just right for be to slide into without bending over of hopping up...something that I appreciate more and more as I get more and more aches and pains. So I passed the Ford on to him and decided to put a few grand into the Suburban to keep her dependable and as efficient as possible for highway haulin'...nothing real heavy, maybe the occasional 20' car hauler or boat. I just had the front end rebuilt and did the 4" exhaust thing (sounds real nice with just a hint of turbo whine making it through the muffler). Gonna keep my eye open for a deal on a later model air cleaner setup and maybe look for a deal on a little bigger turbo (not lookin' to drag race or pull sleds though).

Welcome to The Truck Stop! Pictures are always appreciated. You've come to the right place for the 6.5 world.

Welcome.
There is a ton to learn here for things to keep it running good.
With that mileage, depending what has been done already, there is some help gonna be needed soon.
I would be super worried about the oil cooler lines and the harmonic balancer &belt pulley at this point because both should be failing soon and both are engine killers.

Depending if you use fuel additive and stay on top of fuel pressure the injection pump is probably getting there too, but just demands a tow truck and not a tow truck followed by entire engine.

Speaking of tow truck- many don’t know there is sometimes free or usually really low cost tow service from their car insurance. Worth lookin into before ya need it.

Welcome to the forum.. the guys on here are a life saver. Definitely best place for 6.5 advice... And don't underrate age..age brings wisdom..(and better parking spaces😂) and I agree completely with what everyone has said so far, but with 1 addendum.. insurance towing can be helpful if you're close to home..but AAA is the best damn 100 bucks you can spend..had to have my crew cab dually brought home on a roll bed twice in 2weeks cause of busted ball joints..both times I was quite a ways from home 50-60 miles I think...AAA came and got it both times no prob...if I'd had to pay those tows out of pocket it would have cost hundreds each time.. especially when they have to get the front of the truck up off the ground first..it's a God send.

Welcome.
There is a ton to learn here for things to keep it running good.
With that mileage, depending what has been done already, there is some help gonna be needed soon.
I would be super worried about the oil cooler lines and the harmonic balancer &belt pulley at this point because both should be failing soon and both are engine killers.

Depending if you use fuel additive and stay on top of fuel pressure the injection pump is probably getting there too, but just demands a tow truck and not a tow truck followed by entire engine.

Speaking of tow truck- many don’t know there is sometimes free or usually really low cost tow service from their car insurance. Worth lookin into before ya need it.
My insurance company has tow and other services insurance included, I have never used that service, I still pay AAA and have used them on several occasions. Even one time my step son locked the keys in his truck setting in front of my house. AAA was happy to send over a lock smith and get it opened up.

Back