• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Modifying the Cruise Control

Dan Hunter

Truck Terrorist
Reaction score
I've always wished when I was crawling around the ranch and the truck is bouncing about in 4WD low that I could set the cruise control so my bouncing foot wasn't wildly varying input to the APP.

Is this it possible to modify the system so it can be set at speeds below 25 mph?

I haven't seen the obdI tuning tables, Dan, but that would be where it's done.. In the ECM. Fermanator might know.

Thanks for the reply, buddy. Been a while. I'm wondering if, short of a flash, one could slip a potentiometer in somewhere to lie to the ecm essentially telling it you were doing 26 mph when you were really only doing 5 mph...that kind of thing. Frankly, I don't know why this isn't an option for farmers...a button...that kind of thing though I know farmers that use a manual transmission in 4WD low, get it idling forward, and then get out and into the bed throwing off hay bales as they go.

I wouldn't bet on it, Dan. IIRC, The PCM gets its speed feed from the DRAC, and messing with that would be pretty difficult, not to mention that it would have other consequences.

i think that, if there is an easy way to do it, you'll find it in the tuning tables. Like I said, Ferm know a ton more than I do about that. You might also give Bill Heath a call... He thinks about weird ideas like that, maybe he has some thoughts on the matter.

Good luck with it!

Never done that! Lol

I do that to pull irrigation systems out. Stick the 95 in 4lo and 1st with my 1100 rpm setting and walk to the center controls.

Buddy made me a setting that idles high for special purposes like that.

You're not too far from me Dan, I was in Enid earlier today and lived there 4 yrs.

We may have been closer than you think. I spent much of the day at my ranch three miles north of Longdale.

Crap. No easy answer. Hey, maybe I can get SteakSauce to make me one....

I've never seen how low you can go in cruise? but offhand it seems like you could fool it by ajusting the speed sensor/drac. or having a second one ready to plug in?
You would have to experiment and find the lowest speed cruise will work at. The new modified speed may still be to high for what your doing?
if your getting out of the truck add a remote kill switch to the engine, just in case.

We may have been closer than you think. I spent much of the day at my ranch three miles north of Longdale.

Crap. No easy answer. Hey, maybe I can get SteakSauce to make me one....

My farm is about 15 miles west down the River black top. I sold hay to a guy right in that area...

Modifying the speed sensor reading to fool it into thinking your going faster would result in an immediate limp mode of the trans with a gear ratio error code. I know some OLD cruise control systems used to work at 0 on up because my grandmothers old 75 LINCOLN would work leaving a redlight as my mom used to drive it that way. They stopped it because at slow speeds the cruise tended to be a little to radical and aggressive at controling the vehicle speed. I just looked in tunerpro at SLIMS tune, and it says minumum vehicle speed for the cruise to hold is 20, but I believe the other setting says it must be above 25 before it will engage. i don't know if these portions of the definition file are mapped out correctly or not as I have no way to check them. So if they are mapped correctly, one could lower them down. Have you tried hooking up the fast idle to it? I know my 95 would engage fast idle in gear. You could get it going in say 2nd, and turn the fast idle on to hold a higher speed.

Well, this weekend I noted it takes about 1300 rpm to move upslope and about 1450 rpm to maintain my desired speed so a fast idle won't support my needs. Oh well.

Might look into running a second throttle cable to a hand lever and locating it on your dash or shifter. Many people with rock crawling rigs with a manual transmission do that so they can change rpm while in tough situations.

Back