• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Modified 6.2 turbo diesel

Since Diesel Depot will sell them for $12 each I will not be so afraid to modify them,I think I have a good plan on how to do it, if it works it will probably be the first one.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14654&stc=1&d=1276405012 Charge pressure fuel is taken from the bottom and at full throttle the solenoid opens and then goes directly to the plungers,bypassing the metering valve. With my big 1/2 inch plunger pump this made a huge difference,but I'm not so sure if it helps on the four plunger. I don't think it flows enough,or the charge pump is kinda maxed already. I also think it makes the motor surge at idle,because the plungers might suck a little fuel from the hose even when the solenoid is closed. I was able to rev to 4500 rpms,with a stock governor,so it must work somewhat. Got one head gasket off,none of the studs were leaking,had orange silicone on the threads.

Attachments

• Picture 2010.jpg
    Picture 2010.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 24
Sounds good. If he don't want to cut them I could maybe give cutting a try. Gasket Works USA won't answer their phone,and their voice mailbox is full,they did return one email though.

I think any realatively easy give in hose would mimic an air leak as in the ability of the charge pressure to compress/expand more volume of fuel than expected and/or screws with the fast cyclic pressure differentials causing surging fuel metering issues.

Same material we are using I recently found out in high pressure steam turbine valves and components for their ability to take heat and resist high pressure steam erosion wear

Stellite is also the material used for most cyl head valve seat inserts.

Used pretty extensively for valve seats of all sorts... including ultra-high vacuum valves, where heat tolerance is less an issue than reliability.

I think any realatively easy give in hose would mimic an air leak as in the ability of the charge pressure to compress/expand more volume of fuel than expected and/or screws with the fast cyclic pressure differentials causing surging fuel metering issues.

I was originally going to use steel tubing,that would be better,also the solenoid is too far from the inlet hole,but the intake is kinda in the way to mount it on the side of the pump,could maybe put it on top though,also I made a weird fitting that goes from 5/16 bolt thread to 1/4 inch pipe. I might leave the whole setup off when I get it running again,and maybe try a booster pump on the normal inlet only at full throttle,and have a gauge for charge pressure and another for actual plunger fill chamber pressure,I suspect they are not the same, since I think the metering valve is a major restriction,but is not easy to get past this because pretty much any changes here affect driveability,and idle. A locked governor is about the best fix that I tried,makes a fairly huge difference in high rpm fueling.

Just going thru your thread again, to get some more information. Find something else, (understand a little more I hope), each time I read through it. If you have time, (and pics if available), explain a little more about your "locked governor". How does this affect street-ability?
As always, thanks for so openly sharing your info.....jim.

By the way, our .370" plungers are on the way....

With an auto trans you would never know it. With a stick shift,you have to be careful in the lower gears. The DB pumps govern themselves with no governor. Simply because the plungers can't fill at higher rpms. This is whole problem,getting the plungers filled.

We have been looking at the internal fuel passages thinking that there may be flow resistance here with more fuel flow, with the .370" plunger. Have never had a head from a .370" plunger pump in hand to be able to measure internal passages.

Your full flow by-pass of the metering valve that you used with your .500" pump might be a way to have more fuel on demand.

Been searching all your threads, what is it that you did exactly to lock your governor?

The .370 pump had bigger charge holes in the rotor,and a bigger delivery valve. I JB welded the end cap on the governor spring,so it can't compress.

Hey you might call Ken over at Dps Performance. They are mounting Db4 pumps on Ford 6.9/7.3 trucks. Right now he is producing a 150cc pump that is pretty reliable as a daily driver. He also has a few 180cc pumps out too iirc. NMB2s idi had enough fuel to make 292/614 with the 150cc pump on an engine with 18.5 compression. I think he might have got a lil bit more power per cc of fuel with higher compression but like you stated earlier 6.2 turbo lower compression is less stress on an engine even if it might produce less power per cc of fuel and on top of that he made good power with an old engine.

It spun the center three mains. This happened to me twice now. Too much cyl psi and rpms will bend connecting rods,spin mains,and blow head gaskets,even with studs and orings.

It spun the center three mains. This happened to me twice now. Too much cyl psi and rpms will bend connecting rods,spin mains,and blow head gaskets,even with studs and orings.

Would more oil pressure keep it from spinning the mains? I feel like the oil film is getting squished right out causing the mains to spin, or am I way off?

Back