• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Missy goes full retro

OH yeah.
As this Morphed truck takes shape, it definately needs a visor on the front.

I love the look of a visor, yessssssssssss :smile5:

A chunk of mainline railroad Iron would be a nice touch for the front bumper too.

For those close encounters of the worst kind :eek: ):h

Missy

Look at all these post our little 6.2 section is missing. so how come you didn't come join us????:sad:

J/K 6.2, 6.5 we're all old school.:thumbsup:
the voices made me type it ):h

You really want to go retro....find a trailblazer light bar for it. Ohh would I love to find one of those again. dumb ass I ma , sold mine like 6 yrs ago. They no longer make them.
That dual stick thing sounds neat. As I start to remember the shifters on the 203s did jam so good way to go.

Twin stick on the 203 is really popular w/ the 4x4 crowd, it allows you to shift the F/R diffs independently; also if you happen to have a 205 laying around you can mate the 203 and the 205 for a doubler..

Check out http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ for anything 4x4 related, but fair warning they're not as friendly as DTR ... BUT Tech they do have..

The doublers are all the rage with the crawler folks.
The thing that got me going on the dual stick deal was sort of two fold.

(One) I dont have a shifter for the 203 I bought.
(Two) the POS 203 shifters were just that a real POS

I could buy a dual stick unit but will likley make my own.

I want the shifters to snake up through the hole in the floor and then swing across the hump and then up.

Two little pistol grip shift handles will look way cool

The handle closest to the driver will control the LOCK function so a simple flip of the handle locks the system up to a 50/50 split and then if the range selector is needed then the other "Johnson Bar" can be messed with.

The factory went with the funky shifter because at the time they were just starting to cater to the "I dont want to get my hands dirty crowd" "Oh, turn in the hubs" EEEEEEW "I can't do that, they are dirty"

For most driving other than wheeling the full time mode will do fine.

Missy, you're like a fresh breeze passing through the pickle party.... LOL....

I really like reading your posts, and your love of the 6.5/6.2 is second to none.

Thank you for sharing with us as always RObyn...

I just love a challenge.

Keeping a 6.2/6.5 going is not hard but far too many folks are scared of them anymore.

My latest abortion should be a sweetheart once finished.

I always appreciate the compliments.

Missy

Stock GM 10 Bolt units (1500 series 4x4)

Just going to be a toy so its not gonna be an issue.

Would be cool to have a 12 bolt outback though.

For a daily driver thats not likely to see much if any serious off roading the 10 bolt units will hold up fine.

MGW

Missy just hatched a scathingly brilliant Idea

The project is gonna get a twin stick shifter. Ok now, whats gonna look way kewl on top of the twins sticks??????

Well, two pistol grip shift handles Yes?? No??

Missy gonna use two pistol grips off AR-15/M16 rifles

Just happen to have some extras in the drawer here at the shop. :D

These little handles are thin and can be placed fairly close together and still allow for access without issue.

Just a though :thumbsup:

Missy

I simply can't afford to buy all the little do dad goodie yum yums that I can either machine or fabricate myself.

The shifter setup is priced at $185 and I can make the thing for probably about $25 or so $$

I wont skimp on things like the suspension.

I want a good 6" lift kit with positive arch springs up front, the add a leaf in the rear and the blocks.

KIt has the new U bolts and all the other hardware including the modified steering arm to keep things happy.

Wont even bother to try and build all this stuff. Far too much work.

The kewl little idea for the shifter handles just popped into mind.

These sort of things make it a genuine CUSTOM job.

Still looking for a set of the old Full time front hub slugs and caps

Missy

The doublers are all the rage with the crawler folks.
The thing that got me going on the dual stick deal was sort of two fold.

(One) I dont have a shifter for the 203 I bought.
(Two) the POS 203 shifters were just that a real POS

I could buy a dual stick unit but will likley make my own.

I want the shifters to snake up through the hole in the floor and then swing across the hump and then up.

Two little pistol grip shift handles will look way cool

The handle closest to the driver will control the LOCK function so a simple flip of the handle locks the system up to a 50/50 split and then if the range selector is needed then the other "Johnson Bar" can be messed with.

The factory went with the funky shifter because at the time they were just starting to cater to the "I dont want to get my hands dirty crowd" "Oh, turn in the hubs" EEEEEEW "I can't do that, they are dirty"

For most driving other than wheeling the full time mode will do fine.

Right on, I cant remember if you'll have to mod the shift rails on it like a 205 for the twinstick.

No mods needed

The 203 uses the outer shift arm to control the H-N-L function and the inner arm controls the differential locking sleave assembly.

There is no connection between the two.

The original factory shifter did it all with some fancy MONKEY motion and a few internal parts.

This kept it all neat and tidy on one stick.

The inner workings on the 205 are quite different in their layout.

The differential lock on the 203 is in the back of the box and the H-N-L is up front.

The only reason that the factory did not use two stick was of course esthetics and probably cost.

The times were changing and the push to make trucks look and feel less like trucks was well under way. :wtf:

The auto hubs came out in the early 80's (YUK) and things have been changing every since. :eek:

My Daughter and Son inlaws 99 GMC just has a little knob on the dash for 4x4.

I keep telling the Kid that this (Pointing and the little electric knob) is NOT 4 wheeling. ):h

I am going to wait till I get things a little farther along and then I can fabricate the new "Twins" to that they will fit right through the original hole in the floor of the 91.

There are twin stick boots available cheap and then all I will need is a nice bezel to hold it to the floor.

I dont want to have to "HACK" the floor and the carpet all up. :eek

The 205 rails can be mod'd to allow the twins and If I remember right they can even be setup to run Front wheel only ???????? :confused:

MGW

Back