• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Missy and DaHoooley, the SAGA continues

Old Cat yellow (Darker shade) not the really light new color.

I am just tired of the Black on engines. The yellow does show oil seeps more, but, what the heck.

The last go round saw so little use that most of the stuff is fairly clean yet, and will require only a light touch up coat of yellow to make it look great again.

At presnet the block is still Black as it left the Navistar Machine shop..

Just as soon as I get the pan and the timing cover back on and before I turn it right side up to install the heads, I will shoot some fresh Yellow on it..

Gawd its gonna be great to have my truck back. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Once the truck is back running, then its off to begin anew on the 85 Blazer project once again.

Missy

Update
Got after it again this morning before breakfast (my best working hour) and bolted on the timing cover, the ballancer and then the oil pump.

The pan is all on and tightened down too.

Very pleased with the size and finish on the new crank from scat. The woodruff keys went in perfectly and the crank gear and the ballancer went on with ZERO issues.

Just have to get an oil filter today and then I can go ahead and install the filter adapter and filter.

At this point the little creature and be flipped upright and the lifters and such can go in.

Just need some head gaskets is all, to be able to finish it up. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ always seems to be the issue ya know.

With any luck at all an no further glitches ;) the Ol DaHooooley can run again before rain flies.

Just a tad concerned having had the electronics dead and cold for over a year.

The stuff should all come back up, but ya never know.

Will try to get some piccy's this wweekend and post them.

Missy

Meh if the hood was on the truck all that time, shouldn't be an issue with bum electrics. Hopefully the mices didn't chew up stuff.

It's been a yeaRR? My how flime ties.

The hood has been on all the time and the mice have been well policed up by the Cat that lives in the area.

Just time spent sitting worries me though.

Missy

Update
Well here it is, Sunday eavening at the ranch.

Got to work on the little beast earlier today and got some good licks in on the project.

Got the lifters all primed with tranny oil and stuffed in and that stuff all buttoned up.
Installed the heads and did the torque manuever on them. Soo the top end is on.

Squirted some yellow paint at it too. :D

This block has ALL METRIC fasteners as opposed to the old blocks that still retained the 3/8 theaded bolts on the bell housing and the motor mounts.

Got 6 fresh 10mm X 1.5 bolts to fasten the mount shells onto the block today. The Bellhousing bolts with the stud tops are going to have to come from MA General.

I will jump on that issue come Tuesday morning.

There is very lttle difference is size between the old 3/8 bolts and the 10mm but they are not interchangable.

There are at least two spots that must have the stud top bolts in the bellhousing to fasten other things. One important item is the heat shield that lays in over the starter solenoid.

Sooooo, its looking good so far. Tomorrow I will jump onto getting the rockers and pushrods back on and depending, possibly go for giving the oil pump a spin and prime the system up.

Its likely going to take a few days to scare up the needed bolts for the bell housing.

Started looking over all the labeled zip lock baggys with parts. Really all comes back quickly this way. All the stuff is right there and ready to go right back on. Just grab a bag and whatever I need will be right there for me to use.

Even after a year the stuff all jars my memory just enough that its as though it happened yesterday.

Well headed down to the store late this afternoon and we decided to get a carpet shampoo Gizmo and do the carpet in the house. Gawd I HATE DOING carpet cleaning, but we got throguh that too.

I am still needing an injector return line KIT so will have to scare one up.
When I took the engine down last fall I got a tad rough on the little hoses :eek:

All for now troops.

No, pix yet, will try to get some soon. ITS YELLOW "AGAIN" :D

Update Monday 9/5/11

Well it was a fruitful day here on the project.
Got another handfull of stuff bolted back on.
The crank pulley, water pump, turbo oil drain cover on the block, all the pushrods and rockers.
A few more little goodies and some more cat yellow sprayed on it.

Ordered some of the good fuel injector return hose from an online seller that I have used before. (I trashed the stuff that was on there when I ripped the engine apart)

Still snooping for the metric bellhousing bolts, Ma General may be the only source right off.

Missy

Stopped off at the Ma General store this morning and the great parts guy there was able to scare up the metric bell housing bolts and the crank dowel for me.

Coming from the Reno parts warehouse and be here Thursday
I will post the part numbers so that others in need won't have to hunt for them.

Missy

Just got my small fuel return line this morning. Bought it off ebay from BADGER DIESEL
nice long length of line with the two end caps to the door for just under $20.

Line is made in Germany and is the good push lock stuff with the fabric covering too.

Missy

The Joyfull Update
Got after the beastie this morning with the intent of getting some real work done.
Got the injection pump all on and buttoned down (Timing marks aligned)
then moved on to getting some oul into the thing and running the oil pump to get oil all the way through the engine and up to all the rockers.

I will njot run a new engine until I prime them good and make sure all the rockers have oil to them.

I will always do this prior to installing the valve covers.

Lack of oil on a couple for any real time can ruin the rockers and shafts really quick.

I installed a jumper hose on the two cooler ports and then ran the pump with a modified oil pump drive /vaucum pump .
Only took about a minute of running the pump with the drill motor to get oil to all the rockers.

Been back at it and got the valve covers all cleaned up and reisntalled on the engine.

Just need to let the silicone gooooooooooooop cure and then I can go ahead and finish tightening the valve cover bolts and then install all the little brackets for the fuel lines and injector shields etc.

Next will come the fuel lines, injectors and finally the intake manifold.

Maybe in another week I can stuff it back in the truck.

Missy

OH YEAH BUDDY

Will get a few piccy's of the little yellow critter here soon.

Coming down to the wire here really soon. End of the tunnel in sight now.

About all thats left to go back on is the Injectors, injector lines, the intake manifold and a few little odds and ends.

I always wait to install the exhaust manifolds and the turbo and stuff until th engine is in the chassis and bolted up to the tranny.

leaving that last bit of stuff off makes getting that sucker back in the truck a bunch easier.

Currently the front wheels are off the rig so getting into things in over the A arms is really easy.

Things are still very clean in the engine bay as I steamed it all out last time and cleaned and policed everything up really well.

Just a matter of dropping the beast in there and hooking it all back up.

Will try and snap a few piccy's soon and get them posted.

Missy

Just got my small fuel return line this morning. Bought it off ebay from BADGER DIESEL
nice long length of line with the two end caps to the door for just under $20.

Line is made in Germany and is the good push lock stuff with the fabric covering too.

Missy

thats the guy that did my injectors and IP he is a really nice guy i was trying to get him to become a supporting vendor. dont think he ever did tho.

Fast service on the fuel line for sure.

Hope to get the last of the stuff on the engine this week. Pretty busy so not sure, but definately by this weekend.

Good friend will come over and help me stuff the beast back into the chassis.

I can do it alone, but its far easier with two people. Saves the headache of having to crawl in and out and up and down while getting the tranny ligned up ya know.

More soon.

Missy

UPDATE

Got back at the beastie this morning and its all ready to go back in the truck. :D

I had to get the injectors, lines, intake and a handfull of tidbits back on, but after bolting the oil cooler lines back on, the sucker is all ready to drop back in the chassis.

My thoughts are to plan for next weekend and drop the engine in on Saturday morning, get the hood back on while I have a helping hand and then finish it up pretty much on Sunday.

If all goes well it should ready for a startup after that.

I have yet to get my digital camera back home, but will do it this week and take some piccy's before the beast goes back in.

The only tid bit left is to install the block heater . That takes only a few minutes to install.

I thought I had a new one but I didn't, and I am not going to try and reuse the one thats in the other block. :(

Missy

Sounds good, Robyn!

A tiny suggestion? This is a great time to do the dual Block Heater mod... put in 1x600w and 1x1000w on the other side... when it's chilly, use the 600. When it's cold, use the 1000. When the brass monkey clinks, use 'em both.

Just a little Alberta trick for ya... :D

Jim

Unless Missy plans to move to the east side of the state (like John Day/Burns area) I don't think anything as drastic as the 1000 watt extra heater is needed.

I've only once seen temps even close to that low here on the wet side of the state. That was back I think in 1972. I was working in Grants Pass (south western OR) at the time and the official low was -4* F at the city water intake on the Rogue River. At my parents place, where I live now, it did get to -14* F (I don't think it was the official temp though). It did really snow then! Honest, it did! It stayed on the ground for over a week and the patches of ice from the snow was around for over two weeks.

That was a very unusual year here in western Oregon. A normal year will have a few days, maybe as much as a week, of temps down to the very frigid upper teens, usually at night only. And IF we do get any snow it is very sloppy and is usually gone within a few hours, that is if it even sticks. What we get here is RAIN!! Speaking of which, it's raining now at this very moment. First rain we've had since July.

Don

LOL, I've been on the High Desert in the winter, and I see what you're saying, Don.

I wish my winters were a little bit warmer, but...

I kind of feel the same way about Air Conditioning; I only really need it on a few days of the year, but it sure is nice on those days!

I just figured now was probably about the best time to consider that sort of thing, while it's out and empty. I forget you guys are so near the ocean.

The nice thing about a dual block-heater setup like this is you don't have to use it unless you need it; it's all about which plugs you plug in.

Back