• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mirrors - Power or not? Pictures

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
What, exactly, do I have here with this wiring? I am replacing my factory mirrors and when I took the covers off to do so tonight, I found these wire harnesses. Both are unhooked and both appear that they belong together. There is no switch inside the truck to allow me to adjust, though, if they were supposed to be power mirrors. I also have no rear defrost function, if they were to be heated to come on with that. This is in my 2001 GMC 2500HD.

(Calf picture is just for enjoyment - unrelated to real issue, here)DSC_0486.jpg DSC_0497.jpg DSC_0498.jpg

It was easier for the GM to install the mirrors with the wires, even for the non functional mirror option.
Get the harness and switch to hookum up.

Is there a "how to" on this that you're aware of? Not really what I had planned for, but I might be game to have power mirrors. I had purchased manual mirrors, but can sell them if needed.

I did a quick search and did not find anything in this forum about wiring in the mirrors.
It may even be possible that the harness plug connectors might be under the dash to do a plug and play, after the switch is installed. If so, then all You would need would be the harness from that point to the switch then to the mirrors.
There may already be connectors inside of the doors, if You have the panel{s} off, a quick peek would tell.
@BoostN
Did You auto salvage the harness for Your mirrors ?

No, the mirrors that are on it are what the original owner must have put on. By giving the VIN to the dealer, he said it came from the factory with towing mirrors. Maybe the original owner traded the towing mirrors for the paddle style. The harness that is in the door is what I assume to be present from the factory. Just seemed strange to see a harness up there and no switch to operate.

I’m pretty sure there is a “how to “ for the mirrors but I think it’s buried in a thread somewhere that has to do with truck upgrades. I feel sure I’ve read it but wouldn’t know the thread title or the thread o.p. Maybe lookup some post from @88gmctruck. I think I’ve seen stuff like this from him.

I never used to care about power mirrors, then with the hummer having them- I found how often I used them offroading. Now I would hate not having them.

I used to think- power versions- just more stuff to break. But really they kinda last forever —I would be amazed if 3 people on this entire forum have had mirror failures.

Need driver's / Left side electric mirror for a 1996 Suburban - or a good set of tow mirrors.

Where is the best place to buy one?

Does anybody have one to sell? or a good set of tow mirrors?

I am looking at this GM mirror for a left side mirror. I am guessing that it might be Made in the USA or at least NOT China
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VUR2C8/?tag=jhdiesel-20

I do not have a clue as to what to look at for extendable tow mirrors.

Any recommendations would be suggested. Is there anything made in the USA or Canada?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A friend went to the parts store over here and purchased a set of Dorman extendable mirrors for His 05 Chevy K2500.
I don't know what country of origin they came from though.
One of them busted when He tried to pivot it back, He took it back to BarQuest, I mean carquest, and they happily replaced it.

A friend went to the parts store over here and purchased a set of Dorman extendable mirrors for His 05 Chevy K2500.
I don't know what country of origin they came from though.
One of them busted when He tried to pivot it back, He took it back to BarQuest, I mean carquest, and they happily replaced it.
I've been to Barquest before. And aft6er all this power shopping today and over the weekend, I might just be going back!!!

I reallly really hate shopping. It seems as though it should be so easy, I just want a decent fuel tank, brakes and a mirror or mirrors. Forgot that I am still shopping for a trailer too.

It seems as though it is way to difficult.

Why is it when people advertise a trailer they have no idea what the GVW, tire size, axle rating or ball coupling size?

I had one guy telling me he had a really heavy duty 24' enclosed trailer. He did not know the answer to any of the questions. After he got my answers and asked me when I wanted to come look, I told him that I was not interested in a trailer that light duty for the money he was asking.

His trailer had 3500 lb axles and light duty 15" tires.

He got all pissy with me. Told him I really didn't care. For me it was to much money for that trailer. I wasn't trying to beat him up on price. I was just stating a fact.

I also told him if he had posted the info on the ad, I would never have wasted either of our time.

At a certain point I will get frustrated and just buy the next thing I look at.

When I was looking for a Stainless down pipe with a clamp on each end, everybody was trying to sell me an aluminized with a clamp to the turbo and a slip slide to the pipe. I had said repeatedly exactly what I wanted to buy.

Finally the next person I talked to said they had an aluminized with a clamp for each end. I said let me give you my information and waS DONE. I am getting close to that right now. LOL

I thought about gettting those,, but I don't tow anything other that my small 6x8 utility trailer. I have however just order these:

Part Name
QuantityPrice
Mirror
CV28EL
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500​
1.00$22.34
Mirror
CV28ER
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500​
1.00$24.48
Sub Total:
Shipping:
Handling:
Tax:
Core:
Discount:
Total$46.82
$8.33
$2.50
$3.04
$0.00
$7.02
$53.67​
The discount you see was provided by an app I have on my Google browser. Called Wikibuy it enters know codes and lookey there,, saved 7 bucks .

These are 2003 GMT800 body style power and heated mirrors going on my GMT400 95 burb in sig.

And with the help of this thread I'll have them wired up, and heated, which will be great in my lovely Michigan winters!
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/adding-heated-mirrors.21826/

Well those 03 mirrors would of looked cool, I didn't want to butcher things up to make them fit right.
I instead ordered 99 mirrors for my 95. But I got the headed units. I know this has been done before with tow mirrors, but haven't found a good thread on doing it this way. I'm gonna start a new thread with pic's and how and what I done, incase it can help someone in the future.

Back