• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Milling stock turbo to 4094 specs

SS FORCE

Reaction score
There is a local shop here in SLC that will take the stock turbo from our rigs and mill it out to the same spec as the 4094 and put a cast 6 blade inducer wheel in. This costs around $400 compared the upgraded turbo being around $2100. You can of course opt for a different inducer and cost goes up but this is their basic upgrade. Has anyone here heard of this? Done this? Or have any info or feedback from someone they know who has done this? Is it worth the $$$? If so Its going to be an upgrade before EFI Live but I don't want to spend money for something with little to no gain.

Hit me with your knowledge

I honestly have no knowledge of this kind of upgrade, but I do know a 4094 turbo upgrade REQUIRES tuning to make it work. many can't even get the 4094 to play nice with tuned trucks(LMM's throw underboost codes NOTORIOUSLY with the 4094 upgrade). Personnally I would ask over t durmaxdiesels as there are some top notch tuners and several turbo guys over there who know there stuff when it comes to this.

Thanks Ferm, I will check into that and update here. I have read on other sites that the Garret 4094 stage one will support up to 500 horse and if you decide you want more there is a stage 2 that supports more. Not trying to go too crazy here :confused: just to build everything to support what I want. This seemed like a much cheaper upgrade than buying the new turbo and would add flow benefits and lower egt's.

Anyway ill check into it and post back here what I find.

Thanks again

Stock turbos can support 500HP as is. The engine isn't the happiest, but they do it just fine. Several have made close to 600 on bascially stock LBZ's, but granted they tend to not last long there. I'm somewhere in the 400HP range at teh wheels, and is my limit. I can't afford to shorten my rods, or crack a piston, and don't want to push my luck with my crank, so I stay in this range. The trans does require work to live here, but the engine itself will live a decent life in this range, and doesn't require crazy mods to do it. I won't win any races(at least not at diesel events), but I hope she lives for several days to come at this level.

I dont want to go all out with mine either... Well who am I kidding of course I do. My old rig was a testament to that. But, that being said I am trying to dial it back and make myself a good long lasting truck with decent power. From what I have read about the 4094 they have a bigger inducer, not sure on the exhaust side, but benefits include increased flow, decreased drive pressure and egt's. Once tuned properly spool time seems to be almost identical with the stock turbo. You also get a different sound with the 4094 as its the 6 blade inducer. My thought were for the $400 it costs to upgrade I can help keep egt's down as well as drive pressure and enjoy some more turbo whistle like I had with the hx on the old 6.5

Stock turbos can support 500HP as is. The engine isn't the happiest, but they do it just fine. Several have made close to 600 on bascially stock LBZ's, but granted they tend to not last long there. I'm somewhere in the 400HP range at teh wheels, and is my limit. I can't afford to shorten my rods, or crack a piston, and don't want to push my luck with my crank, so I stay in this range. The trans does require work to live here, but the engine itself will live a decent life in this range, and doesn't require crazy mods to do it. I won't win any races(at least not at diesel events), but I hope she lives for several days to come at this level.

Just to be clear, Ferman makes it sound like the Frankenburban is not very fast in the 400hp range...lol I'm here to tell you it is fast! Especially for a heavy land ark. Lol Definitely makes you grin like a mule eatin briars when the long pedal is mashed....i think the only thing i could say was "holy crap!"

Just to be clear, Ferman makes it sound like the Frankenburban is not very fast in the 400hp range...lol I'm here to tell you it is fast! Especially for a heavy land ark. Lol Definitely makes you grin like a mule eatin briars when the long pedal is mashed....i think the only thing i could say was "holy crap!"
Many people say I'm full of it, and it's alot closer to 450-500. Should have rode in it before I tamed it down some. I used to have it so it was much more aggressive in how it fueled.

Sounds like I might need to take a ride in the burban if I'm ever out your way. Probably quicker than my rig with its current mods.

Sounds like I might need to take a ride in the burban if I'm ever out your way. Probably quicker than my rig with its current mods.
Getting a built trans makes a HUGE difference in how one pulls. The stokc converters are GARBAGE to say teh least. Mine felt like noght and day difference on a stock tune after I built it and put in a good converter that actually couples before 2K RPM's.

Back