• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Might be a repost...supercharger?

From their advert:

Supercharging is the best way of getting more Torque and Power from the Chev 6.5 diesel engine.

Advantages over turbocharging
1. Easier Installation :nono: already have a turbo just need a better turbo ATT is bolt on :D
2. Less Underbonnet Heat :confused: based on what comparison 6.5 na vs. 6.5 turbo ?
3. Cylinder head is prone to stress cracks with turbocharger :confused: subjective claim IMO 212k crack free miles thus far on mine
4. Kit is available to suit left or right side Air cleaner
5. Suitable for marine applications

Boost is adjustable by changing the supercharger drive pulley size. Kit comes with 7psi pulley. Turbo makes this and then some

Basic Supercharger Install Kit - $4900 :eek::eek::eek:

Includes Custom manifold
Supercharger with snout and drive pulley
Rear Supercharger entry manifold (left or right available)

Needs idler pulley and drive belt to suit your application.
Rubber hose to your Air cleaner
Injector pump needs to be re-calibrated

Full Supercharger Kit (to suit engines with serpentine belt) - $5600 :eek::eek::eek: For that kind of $$$/work you could have twin turbos and be 150mph+ capable like Bill Heath

Basic kit plus modified mounting bracket for Air Conditioner compressor
Full installation instructions.

Needs Vacuum pump pulley machined (approx $60)
Rubber hose to your Air cleaner
Injector pump needs to be recalibrated

Advert looks like 2007 last update, is this a current advert ? if one had their own supercharger handy and the requisite fab skills it could be done I'm not sure the bang for buck would be there, Detroits I used to work on in my USNR Hatteras cabin cruiser was both turbo & supercharged rite around 500hp ea X2, but unlimited cooling water for the engines and inter and after coolers from both the turbo and the SC.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere the military hummers don't have turbo's and have a gear driven blower instead and mechanical injection too, or was I just dreaming it.

DD's were supercharged for a differnt reason. DD are 2 stroke crankcase scavanged engines and the blower is nessicary to push the air charge through the ports in the cyl. Remember DD's have no intake valves. A DD cannot run without a blower. a 6.5 is a 4 cycle engine so I don't see any gain. The turbos were added to give more boost to the 2 stroke DDs and it also quieted them down considerably. Any decent turbo is capable of producing more boost than a 6.5 can handle anyway.

I thought I read somewhere the military hummers don't have turbo's and have a gear driven blower instead and mechanical injection too, or was I just dreaming it.

civilian hummers have Centermount turbos. Not sure on Mil ones. I thought they were NA.

DD's were supercharged for a differnt reason. DD are 2 stroke crankcase scavanged engines and the blower is nessicary to push the air charge through the ports in the cyl. Remember DD's have no intake valves. A DD cannot run without a blower. a 6.5 is a 4 cycle engine so I don't see any gain. The turbos were added to give more boost to the 2 stroke DDs and it also quieted them down considerably. Any decent turbo is capable of producing more boost than a 6.5 can handle anyway.

I was already aware of this, My uncle has a '77 KW 925 with straight stacks a 8v-71 with full Jake,5+4 twin stick tranny in one of his winch trucks ( is the reason why I love these engines so). Also have a Cockshutt 1950 at the farm with a 4-53, have it screamin along at 2800 when in the field.

As for the going with the roots blower, if you get rid of the turbo out of the engine bay, it would get rid of some heat, wouldn't it?

The military has 6.2, 6.5 N/A, and 6.5 Turbo with the turbo mounted in the center like a duramax. The turbo is also a lot smaller than our turbos.

Back