• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

mig welding with propane??

No, all I've ever heard used is Inert gases. I don't know what would be the result of propane burning in the weld zone.

Propane with a mig welder would result in a nice fireball out the mig torch. Teh whole purpose is to use an inert shielding gas to create a protective field and to blow away impurities from the weld. Propane would just ignite as soon as teh arc was struck and make a fireball. Bad idea to me to even think of trying this as propane isn't something to mess around with.

I've heard of propane and oxygen for a cutting/ heating setup, and gas welding but the inert shielding needed to keep atmosphere from contaminating the weld pool has to remain neutral

Having been a welder for over 40 yrs, the inert gas is supposed to protect the weld from that atmosphere and the only thing I see you getting with the propane is a "Darwin award"!! Dont do it!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmm interesting. I have a muy bien welder co. Welder at home that may be worth trying with this just to see what happens...30ft remote pull line or better of course though haha

ya iv never heard of that but it dose make a much better fuel gas for a cutting torch, as apposed to Acetaline, it makes a much cleaner cut. That is what we always used on the burntable for cutting 1in plus matterial, the plasma did any thing less than that.

Back