• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Michelin LTX A/T2 vs M/S2

HoytBows

Reaction score
I have read everything I can find on these tires and at the end of the day im not sure which to pull the trigger on. I am leaing to the AT2 w/ the 60k mile warranty. The MS2s have a 70k mile warranty and are $100 bucks less for the set, but they look like grandpa tires. Anybody have any experience with these tires on their dmax?

Got 30k on my at2's and 2 blew seriously twisting the bed of the dmax.

Never again!

I am running Hankooks and replacing those w/ coopers as the need arises

Funny you should mention these Chad. Guy I work with just went with the MS2s for his 1500 Ram and another set on his son's 2500 8.1 Burb. He said they work pretty much as good as the Cooper ATs he had before on a snowy day but he noticed they don't look very aggressive. If it was me I'd want a bit better tread as they wore than those. I have the MS2s in 20" on the wife's Tahoe but that has traction control so It doesn't really count. Got about 35k on 'em and they definitely have a long way to go. Not sure what I'll do next but since I'm pissed at BFG, it isn't likely be KOs again...

And WTH is a 'grandpa tire'?!:p

Well I got Copper Discoverer ATPs on now. 35k and they are almost gone, and they howl pretty good and dont ride all that well. Other than that they hooked up good, just didnt last and were loud.

I was about ready to try the BFGs again but the KO2. And was considering the Hankook Dynapro ATMs.

The punk kid in me still wants swampers, but thr older I get the more I want something that goes down the road real nice and lasts forever!

My dad has 20k on his cooper at3's and the easily have 2/3 left. That's on a '13 dodge 2500 hemi 4x4.

Like I said hankooks are now made in Korea, otherwise I like them.

Have cooper st maxx on my dmax 5k and still look good.

The Goodyear duratrac is still a contender but I don't like the Goodyear store locally

I have the MS's, and they are pretty good. They are not an offroad or even all terrain type tire though, pretty much best suited for the street. I will say the newer MS2's are NOT wearing half as good as the older MS's. I have over 50K on my MS's, and still have a good amount of tread left, and my uncle had close to 120K on his on his 05 3500 SRW before they were done. He put on a set of the newer MS's, and at 80K they were down to cords in the tires. That and the ride wasn't as good.

So far I have put about 2k on them loaded. They look good.

I'm not sure why but my 20" tires seem to last abnormally long (80k w/ a solid 50% loaded). My stock 245/75s never did that.

Have run both the Michelin A/T's and M/S's and buying which one will depend on how you are going to use them.

I had the Michelin A/T's (Load E) about 5 years ago and sold them to a friend after just 9K miles and bought Michelin M/S's. The A/T's were too squishy for my taste (~7,500# curb weight), took a 10% hit in fuel mileage (compared to the M/S's), tore up my yard, flicked stones at the trailer, and could hear them above the DI diesel clatter. If the use is more off-road, or a good bit of off-road, these will make a nice tire and they are tow capable.

If the primary driving is on-road, the M/S's are nice and are off-road capable; just adjust pressures and driving styles for differences in surfaces. Running my M/S's at 80psi and the 3/4 ton suspension makes the trucks respond like a sports car.

Prior to the Michelin's, I had Firestone M/S's and they worked just fine even when I had to plow the front bumper through 20" of snow.

Am now running Michelin M/S's on the Burb and my to rig and love them.

Running MS2 on a '06 dmax 2WD. Street only with 75% highway. 93,000 mi on first set. 2nd set on the truck is at 67,000 min and I'm down to around 25%+/-.

Live in central Florida and heavy rain is the challenge. During the summer we usually have a thunderstorm in the afternoon, and they can be real gully washers, and on the highway, they leave puddles of standing water on wear stacks with standing water. At 70-80 mph, hitting a puddle that could have over 1" of water in it can get exciting - MS2's channel water away and resist hydro-planning better, much better, than any other tire I've tried. That's why I use them. The long mileage is a nice bonus. Sorry, I can't give any feedback on that white stuff, I think they call it snow, we don't have any of that down here in Florida.

Like the name. I shot Hoyt recurves for several years in competition.

Running MS2 on a '06 dmax 2WD. Street only with 75% highway. 93,000 mi on first set. 2nd set on the truck is at 67,000 min and I'm down to around 25%+/-.

Live in central Florida and heavy rain is the challenge. During the summer we usually have a thunderstorm in the afternoon, and they can be real gully washers, and on the highway, they leave puddles of standing water on wear stacks with standing water. At 70-80 mph, hitting a puddle that could have over 1" of water in it can get exciting - MS2's channel water away and resist hydro-planning better, much better, than any other tire I've tried. That's why I use them. The long mileage is a nice bonus. Sorry, I can't give any feedback on that white stuff, I think they call it snow, we don't have any of that down here in Florida.

Like the name. I shot Hoyt recurves for several years in competition.
I liked the origanal MS better myself. I tried both back to back, and when new the older MS I felt was a bit better. I do think the MS2 was quieter, but my uncle I sold them to just didn't get the treadlife out of them that he got out of his old MS's. Have to figure out which tire to go with next. I don't drive my BURB enough anymore to justify buying MICHELINS. My current set is dry rotting and starting leak down every month or so, but still have good tread left. Time to go out and burn em off, and replace em with something new.

I've run MS's on a Durango and now MS2's on a Tahoe. They are amazing tires, to me the best snow tire short of a dedicated snow tire, plus dead quiet and smooth. The long life makes the big price tag actually pretty competitive with lower priced tires when you factor in the miles.

Lower price point - I know some people don't like to hear the word Mastercraft, and I was really skeptical myself, but my sister is running them on a 1/2 ton truck and a guy I work with put them on his plow truck, both are extremely happy with them. Doubt they will last very long, but was surprised how well they handled and the snow traction was impressive. I would consider them for a vehicle that only ran 10-15,000 miles a year.

Back