• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical pump conversion

I like it. I think getting a 'kit' mainstream would be a good thing. These pumps seem way less picky about fuel to everything else. I have 80k on my IP and always thinkin about it.

Actually, seems really cheap considering it comes w/ 8 new marine injectors too.

Watch out for that ebay vendor. I bought injectors that were fine, but I also bought an IP that turned out to be bad. He did replace it, but I had to do all the labor and thats quite a job. The replacement IP he sent lasted for 10K miles only. I took that pump (4911) to a local Stanadyne shop here. They told me it still had the old style head and rotor Not the new upgraded one that I paid for.
Buyer beware.

why do that ? The DS4 pumps are fine once you do the PMD relocate. That's like buying a truck with fuel injection then ripping it off and putting a carb on it. JMO.
The DB2's were no winners either. I changed a few of them. There is a plastic gear that goes in them IIRC.

why do that ? The DS4 pumps are fine once you do the PMD relocate. That's like buying a truck with fuel injection then ripping it off and putting a carb on it. JMO.
The DB2's were no winners either. I changed a few of them. There is a plastic gear that goes in them IIRC.

This is true, but they seem alot pickier about fuel type (bio/ multi), I think this is the same reason the military still uses them. More tolerable.

As far as comparing it to fuel injection vs carberation, it still is fuel injection, just a more mechanical method. Not sure if I agree with that example.

The OP.

The kit you linked is a great combination of parts. But, like said earlier, it is of the upmost imprtance that a rebuilder uses OEM+most current parts. I have not dealt with "hector" but i have asked questions. His answers simply danced around my original question. He doesn't seem like a stand-up honest guy.

Go with a company that has a better reputation. Peninsular has treated me well when it comes to the 6.5L Diesel engine.

BTW, i converted my 1994 6.5L with Electronic IP to mechanical and put it into a 1994 Camaro. if you have any questions about the conversion, i would be glad to help.

Cody

This is true, but they seem alot pickier about fuel type (bio/ multi), I think this is the same reason the military still uses them. More tolerable.

As far as comparing it to fuel injection vs carberation, it still is fuel injection, just a more mechanical method. Not sure if I agree with that example.

Was basically just trying to say what's the point of going backwards..:D

Remember the DS4 is drive by wire. Putting a mech pump on is the easy part. You now have to deal with throttle pedal conversion, trans shifting, accesories such as cruise. I believe(Goldsberg , where are U ?) that the DS4 also puts out more fuel but I am not an expert on that spec. Although I have never done one I would assume elimintaing the PMD would cause trans shift issues as well. Not sure on that but I would think...

The DB2 IP id far more trouble free than the DS4 pump.

IFFFFFFF the DS is working properly (Key word IFFFFFFFF) they are great.

The DB series can build just as much power and will do it without the worry of some electronics going south and leaving you SOL.

The throttle cable is no sweat. The knockout is in the firewall and the older cable and brackets will do the job.

The issue is the controls for the 4L80 tranny. Got a 4,5 or 6 speed, no sweat. Just do the R7R on the IP, time the thing and go. The ses light can easily be ignored or removed.

This is done all the time. The auto conversion is dicey. The best option is a stand alone controler.

$$$$$$$$$ more and I am not sure its a better setup.

The DB2 IP is a fine pump but this is only part of the issue.

A DS4 with all the updates and a DTECH PMD thats remote
mounted will work sweet.

All wiring needs to be in good shape and then things work well.

Filter your fuel to 2 microns and stay away from the Bio crap and other strange concoctions and the thing will be just fine.

I know, you can run bio stuff but the odds are much greater in having issues with fuel that is not clear and that can leave residue behind.

A DS4 used with a power chip can provide 90mm of fuel under full power.
This is enough to make all the HP that a 6.5 truck cooling system can deal with anyway.

The issue in our trucks is generally not making the power, its keeping the engine from melting while we do it.

MGW

Last edited:
Well, this I can say Look at my photo alblum. I have owned and replaced more DB2s than DS4. As was said clean fuel and a remote PMD and the DS4 works just fine. The DB2s don't like Ultra low sulfur either. They didn't even like low sulfur. Let's just say I could swap a db2 in about 3 1/2 hrs flat. I don't see any major advantage to swapping backwards not to mention you still didnt adress cruise control. That would take some fancy wiring to make drive by wire PCM work a vac controlled Cruise setup not to mention most of us can the vac pumps. Another point of view is this, If you were looking to buy a truck and someone butched in a mech pump when the truck should have elect would you buy it ? I wouldn't. BTW the IP in my 95 has 174k on it. The one in my 2000 was replaced at 20k probably due to PMD and the truck now has 178k. Both my trucks have orking cruise. Matter of fact I did an extensive write up over at DP on how easy it is to add cruise to a truck with a DS4 that doesn't have cruise.

The DB2 IP id far more trouble free than the DS4 pump.

I gotta disagree with that one. How many DB2s have you had ?(I'm asking not being sarcastic) I have owned way more 6.2s and the DB2 was usually only good for 100k. The pump shop I used on LI did a high volume of DB2s. I personally don't think they were that great. The ones on the 6.9s of that era wern't a whole lot better. Did a few of them too.

Just passing on my experience with them. I had more 6.2s than 6.5s. I think my original point was it's alot of moeny and work to go backwards for something that based on my experience of owning and working on both really wasn't that much better. Money is better spent elsewhere IMHO.

I just thought it was interesting that someone put a kit together. I know others have done it and posted about it here and on the place and page. Makes you wonder if people come on these sites and take others ideas and run with them ala Steaksauce.
If someone wanted to do a mechanical conversion to a 4 piston DB2 that had been tweeked and a bigger turbo, that might make an interesting swap for a play truck or something like Rafedials Camaro. At least it would be fun as long as everything held together.

In a situtation like the Camaro, Mech is better, easier.If I ever build my dream truck(69-72 chevy blazer) with a diesel it would be a 6.2 or 6.5/ mech and turbo.

Aces -

For what it's worth, I think that your assessment of DB2 longevity is about right. The factory DB2 on my (previous truck) '92 6.5 turbo lasted 110K before it developed the "no hot start" condition.

The stinker is that when replaced (by a reputable pump shop in Indiana), the replacement only went another 63K miles and was leaking!

They (DB2's) were Hell when they were Well (and seldom sick)! I guess for me its a trade-off, but I do hold my breath sometimes when I go WOT on the DS4...):h

Regards,

I'm glad somebody somebody asked the question, I was wondering myself.
Guess I won't be wondering anymore I am leaving well enough alone.

Back