• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical Lift Pump Questions

Koots

Don't Mind Me
Reaction score
Is the 6.2L mechanical lift pump specific to the 6.2L or can i use a gasoline pump without an issue?

I ask because i live in Labrador, where i can barely get new parts for this old of a truck, let alone an old diesel and if i can find parts it takes more than a week to get here. So i was wondering if i could just go with something else for the time being.

Just put an electric one on and be done with it. The Mech ones suck anyway. it will start better with electric. You need about 7 psi. A stock electric fuel pump for a later 6.5TD works very well. as for the hole where the mech pump is you can just leave the mech pump in place disconnected or make a block off plate. A gasser block off plate might even work.

I didn't know i could disconnect the pump. that is a good option until i can get a proper block off plate. I saw one on summit that has a fitting built in, perfect for a turbo oil return. it will do me good until i can get a new one wired in place. Thanks!

X2 on electric lift pump, then just get a plate off a 6.5 in junk yard that is were the 6.5 turbo oui return is and you can plug it off now, and then use for turbo later if you decide to add a turbo to it

Have no fear about leaving the old Mech LP in place until then. Some will say you can't but all of mine have been that way for years without issue.

I didn't know i could disconnect the pump. that is a good option until i can get a proper block off plate. I saw one on summit that has a fitting built in, perfect for a turbo oil return. it will do me good until i can get a new one wired in place. Thanks!

dont worry koots, when i send your j-code, i have a turbo oil return plate i can throw in with it.....

Back