• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

maxxTORQUE article on the A Team Turbo

The A-team turbo is a solid dependable turbo that compliments our trucks and has been proven to stand the test of time. There is no mechanical waste gate to adjust or fail. I think War Wagon has pretty much showed what kind of fuel savings can be had with the A-team turbo. I also believe he has experience with a few other turbo designs, and is probably one of the few people that has documented in detail, what he has found. Nice article?

Have ~1,000 miles experience with the ATT and am noticing that I get the same seat of the pants power for less boost. Had too many other items changed (IP, injectors, ECM reflash, and fluids) when the ATT was installed, so cannot truly gauge which item(s) are most effecting economy let alone only have two fills on the tank at this point.

Heath reflashed my ECM last week to change shift / throttle settings and account for the ATT. Burb seems more quiet with the reflash but far too early to tell about effects on economy.

what about a disk brake upgrade to the rear?

The feedback I keep getting is to stick with drums on my 8600# setup as they are better for towing. Got recent feedback that there are pads out there which are rated to grab harder as they get hotter; also upgrading the front discs to a 1Ton setup is helpful.

Have ~1,000 miles experience with the ATT and am noticing that I get the same seat of the pants power for less boost. Had too many other items changed (IP, injectors, ECM reflash, and fluids) when the ATT was installed, so cannot truly gauge which item(s) are most effecting economy let alone only have two fills on the tank at this point.

Heath reflashed my ECM last week to change shift / throttle settings and account for the ATT. Burb seems more quiet with the reflash but far too early to tell about effects on economy.

The feedback I keep getting is to stick with drums on my 8600# setup as they are better for towing. Got recent feedback that there are pads out there which are rated to grab harder as they get hotter; also upgrading the front discs to a 1Ton setup is helpful.

I tried items in order and more power comes from each and every upgrade. The MPG is due to the turbo swap alone as my MPG stayed the same loaded with the factory turbo while my MPH up hills went up. Injectors may affect MPG. Exhaust, turbo master, more fuel did not affect MPG just MPH.

Brakes on burbs need an updated proportioning valve. Also the TSB says new shoes. $100 set of rear shoes and you should stop well. Adjust them at each oil change. 8600# burbs are 1 ton brakes and mine had 13" x 3.5" shoes that even without the updated proportioning valve were near the rivets at 190K.

So I got my chip back from Bill. I have driven it some, I was hoping it would clean up low end smoke but i think it might have mad it a little worse. Flat footed it rolles coal for a bit then cleans up to a light gray haze, and my EGT will keep climing I let off at 1200. Rolling down the highway, if I get on it even a little I see black doller bills coming out the pipe. I'm not happy that I have to send it back again because the forgot to set it up for EGR delete so my check engine light is on with a code 44 and 45. I might have him tone it down a bit while he has it. According to the G-Tech, I picked up almost a full second 0-60 at 9.2sec

So I got my chip back from Bill. I have driven it some, I was hoping it would clean up low end smoke but i think it might have mad it a little worse. Flat footed it rolles coal for a bit then cleans up to a light gray haze, and my EGT will keep climing I let off at 1200. Rolling down the highway, if I get on it even a little I see black doller bills coming out the pipe. I'm not happy that I have to send it back again because the forgot to set it up for EGR delete so my check engine light is on with a code 44 and 45. I might have him tone it down a bit while he has it. According to the G-Tech, I picked up almost a full second 0-60 at 9.2sec

PM sent

if you read this thread http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...rcare-smog-test-with-best-numbers-in-10-years I did our two year smog test and the opacity dropped from 4.58 down to 1.71 this time around. The only change in the engine was the ATT swap. Aside from oil, fuel and air filters nothing else has changed. Since the pollution levels have dropped one can assume mileage goes up. I am guessing the engine became more efficient as a result of the ATT.

Sweet numbers.

How long have you driven it? It seemed to take mine about 2 weeks or longer for the smoke to chill out some. But then again I only drive 1.6 miles to get to my shop. I still get smoke when I want too. I don't know if I just got used to driving it, but I really don't get smoke now unless I want it too. When I first installed it though, I thought for sure I was going to send it back because of how bad it smoked. How is the power? Mine is like a totally different truck. I love it. But there are spots where it could be leaned out some I think. But I could get my GM 8 to smoke too if I wanted.

I have taken the ATT to 1550 EGT. :firedevil: EGT is one of many measurements, but, nothing to be scared of. ECT, timing, and other factors determine what EGT hurts things.

I have taken the ATT to 1550 EGT. :firedevil: EGT is one of many measurements, but, nothing to be scared of. ECT, timing, and other factors determine what EGT hurts things.

oh... I was always told that 1000 to 1200 is all we want to put the top of the pistons through?

You are going to be fine at 1200* if it is brief. I have had my EGT's up to 1200* for a while before. On my old motor. Which next week is getting tore apart so I can tell you guys if any damage had occurred.

oh... I was always told that 1000 to 1200 is all we want to put the top of the pistons through?

Pistons are an aluminum alloy with a different melting point than pure aluminum, have a coating of carbon on them, and can see 2800 degrees F or more on the power stroke. 6.5pistons have a ceramic coating, but, my 6.2 pistons seeing EGT abuse do not. 2800 F degrees is what you want to stay below as NOx formation is high at or above these temperatures. No EGR vin F who knows what peak EGT can be esp tuned. The compression stroke takes 0 PSI air to 300+ psi. It is around 1000 degrees from this. Add fuel, 6+ psi of boost... Say 14 PSI at over 300 degrees and what do you suppose the combustion peak temperature is? The EGT probe is reading say 30 PSI after the 21:1 compression TDC to BDC power stroke expansion is over. So it is cooler air going out the exhaust valve than peak combustion temperature. Or the charge can still be burning when the exhaust valve opens.

How long this temp stays in the engine by timing, exhaust, oil temp, altitude, etc. are all factors.

I sustained 1550 for over a minute, WOT, climbing a grade, at altitude, and pulling a trailer. It was a light haze at that EGT. Buddy was sitting next to me. I was calling out EGT's and he was watching for smoke or watching numbers on the laptop to tweak the tune. We did turn the turbo blanket black on the inside where it contacts the turbo. I regularly run 1350 EGT for extended time without issues from the stock GM3 to the HX40II. All have had a 4" exhaust and one has a 4" kitty.

IMO peg the gauge EGT's damage glow plugs first as I have seen funny looking glow plug casing surface texture with the GM3 and high EGT's. The 1995 that had the 1550 sustained still has working glow plugs over a year later.

The EGT myth may be from over advanced timing or other things. I haven't seen and engine melt down from EGT alone and quit frankly I have tried. Shock cooling from a radiator cap blowing off with oil failure, yes. Failed injector, yes. EGT alone killing something on a 6.5, No.

Your mileage may vary and I pull the engines I blow up myself with help sometimes. :sifone:

It would increase the lag even more. I'm all set with that. I'm working on a quick spool valve now. Just pondering what metals to use foe shaft and bushings.

I hit 1250 with my ATT* and tune last night climbing a hill.. Tune is for a 5521 pump and runs like a champ on my 5068 pump.

*by "my", I mean Paveltolz's. Mines on order.

Back