• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

maxxTORQUE article on the A Team Turbo

Hmm, I've read these accounts before somewheres... :)

Asthma attack is a very good description of an OEM setup.

I refer to my GM3 as 'the Cork'.. :D

Good article but I would make one change. I saw he said that 17psi was the limit by the 6.2L military precups. Those are the precups I am running right now and just ran 21psi through it this weekend with no problem. And before you ask, no it didn't shit out a head gasket. You can definitely have more than 17psi

17 PSI is the limit of the OEM MAP sensor. Could have had more boost than the sensor reads. Must have been too cheap to run a real boost gauge... :rolleyes5: And I am getting 21 steady and 23 PSI peak during a shift with the current setup and a HX40II - never really measured the ATT on it yet.

this says a lot

Example of Savings

Running the A Team Turbo over the GM3 stock turbo resulted in a savings of nearly $85 per day based on 550-mile days. This means that we paid off our $1,500 investment for the turbo, tune and full exhaust in just under 10,000 miles or 18 days of driving.
Daily Drive on the GM3 Stock Turbo at 7.5 MPG
73.33 GAL / $302.86 per day

Daily Drive on the A Team Turbo at 10.4 MPG
52.88 GAL / $218.41 per day

If that is true the thing pays for itself if you use your truck that way...

also if they used some newer better built tunes, they would be praising the turbo even more

Last edited:
I have spiked 21psi on my A-Team. It usually consistently runs 18-20psi during wide open throttle. My boost gauge is a 0-30psi gauge so it's pretty accurate. It is nice having a mechanical motor. As soon as I get head studs, fuel is going to the max. Will probably add water injection at some point too.

I have spiked 21psi on my A-Team. It usually consistently runs 18-20psi during wide open throttle. My boost gauge is a 0-30psi gauge so it's pretty accurate. It is nice having a mechanical motor. As soon as I get head studs, fuel is going to the max. Will probably add water injection at some point too.

I really like the sounds of that! Maybe you will switch pre cups at the same time? Should really boost power

Eh, maybe. I will see how far these can go but if I end up ripping the heads off to do studs, then I will do the ol switcheroo. But, back on topic. that is a lot of money saved. Just by switching turbos. Glad to know money well spent

When I posted years ago gaining 2 mpg with mine even @ 75mph avg speed range 440 miles up from 385 with the GM-8 & 26 gal tank topped off to sputtering out of fuel, measured on same run GA to MS measured same trip 16x a month for nearly 2 years I was told it could not happen, then to add in my burb @ 70 mph avg gaining 3 mpg when I put the ATT on it; it is nice to see someone else with appreciable mpg gains as well.

When I posted years ago gaining 2 mpg with mine even @ 75mph avg speed range 440 miles up from 385 with the GM-8 & 26 gal tank topped off to sputtering out of fuel, measured on same run GA to MS measured same trip 16x a month for nearly 2 years I was told it could not happen, then to add in my burb @ 70 mph avg gaining 3 mpg when I put the ATT on it; it is nice to see someone else with appreciable mpg gains as well.

You forgot about me, I see.:hihi: I got at least 2 mpg increase with mine also. I would never go back to my original turbo.

Leo (NVW) and Ed (Eddzed) both have ATT installed, and have done well in terms of both pulling and fuel mileage. Well, Ed has. Leo's wife hasn't let him drive his much, until lately :D

Leo (NVW) and Ed (Eddzed) both have ATT installed, and have done well in terms of both pulling and fuel mileage. Well, Ed has. Leo's wife hasn't let him drive his much, until lately :D
I would say that is quite an accurate statement from my point of view. On our vacation last month I was quite surprised by just how far I was able to go before needing to top off the tank. One issue I did have is my water injection was not spraying on the way out of town. Had to drive up some of those hills real slow, Talking like 25 mph on the Coquihalla, Don't know what the issue was but on the return trip I had spray and the truck sure as %&(# pulled on the hills home. I don't think I went up any hill at less than 50 mph. My wife also has been building a rock garden so I told her to load it up this time around. This also included what I'd say was an extra 150 lbs of large rocks and 8 pails of gravel. I'll tell you that Adams lake has about the best skipping rocks for water of anywhere I know. Almost all are flat and circular.

I've had mine since Dec. of 08, I also picked up a couple mpg. I have lost some of it since I put the deck on my truck as it now weighs a lot more, it could also be the change in driving habits as it's a work truck. I haven't had it on a long trip since.

I just read the Maxx Torque article. I've been trying to keep up with what you've been doing and that was a great replay of what you've gone through.

I do have a slight hijack, needing some info about a comment from the article.

You made one comment that I'd like some additional info on. "Just enough grade and wind to keep the engine at peak torque with the throttle floored and the TCC override switch on. (I do not recommend a TCC override switch with a factory converter.)" I do have the TCC mod, which I don't very often use, and I'm currently feeling what I think is a slight slip of the torque converter when it locks up while towing about my 5-6K pound travel trailer. This has me concerned that I will be looking at needing to find a torque converter eventually. What TC did you get to work with your towing?

Don

Back