• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

manual transmission on early 90"s diesel truck

nick94

Reaction score
what is the difference between a manual transmission from a gas to a diesel? would the diesel engine transmission work on a gas engine?

what is the difference between a manual transmission from a gas to a diesel? would the diesel engine transmission work on a gas engine?

I have a 90 GMC C1500 SWB stepside currently with 4.3 V-6 with the 5 speed manual GETRAG transmission, planning on mating it to a 6.5 turbo engine, spent time with Bill Heath on the subject and he said he ran similarly set up without any issues, and said it was a "fun truck".

The transmission itself should be good to go. A clutch/pressure plate/flywheel would be the only thing thats different

I ran the Getrag 5 speed in the 1989 C2500 for about 800,000 miles. I replaced 2 clutches. The OEM blew a spring at about 80,000 miles. That is when I removed the 4 speed and installed the 5 speed Getrag I had to have something made for the tail to work with the drive shaft. Didn't cost much. Just delayed me of a couple of days.

That truck ran 8900 lbs or more almost every day of it's life.

I changed the 2nd clutch at 6 or 700,000 miles. The clutch was working but the throw out bearing was shot. I drove the whole week as it went out on me Monday morning about 4:30 or so when I was heading out. I needed to be there and didn't have time to reload everything.

I liked the way that Getrag shifted a whole bunch better than the NV4500's I've driven. I can't imagine driving one of these for a week without a clutch.

I think putting that Getrag in was one of the best things I ever did for the 89. It saved a lot of revolutions on the 2 engines I had in it.

The Getrag was never touched other than the occasional oil change. I ran Amsoil and Pensoil full synthetic in it 75w90 or similar in it.

I ran the Getrag 5 speed in the 1989 C2500 for about 800,000 miles. I replaced 2 clutches. The OEM blew a spring at about 80,000 miles. That is when I removed the 4 speed and installed the 5 speed Getrag I had to have something made for the tail to work with the drive shaft. Didn't cost much. Just delayed me of a couple of days.

That truck ran 8900 lbs or more almost every day of it's life.

I changed the 2nd clutch at 6 or 700,000 miles. The clutch was working but the throw out bearing was shot. I drove the whole week as it went out on me Monday morning about 4:30 or so when I was heading out. I needed to be there and didn't have time to reload everything.

I liked the way that Getrag shifted a whole bunch better than the NV4500's I've driven. I can't imagine driving one of these for a week without a clutch.

I think putting that Getrag in was one of the best things I ever did for the 89. It saved a lot of revolutions on the 2 engines I had in it.

The Getrag was never touched other than the occasional oil change. I ran Amsoil and Pensoil full synthetic in it 75w90 or similar in it.

This is old post I resurrected going thru stuff I've missed while I was MIA..tell me more on your GETRAG swap...I recently just installed a reman Getrag in the 90 C1500, was going to look for a NV4500 for the 6.5 install I plan on doing in the 90 for a unique vehicle to have for "Cruising the Coast" we have here annually https://cruisinthecoast.com/

Thinking 1990 C1500 stepside short box std cab, with a dual turbo maybe 6.5 in it, (the original engine pulled from my K1500) before the "project engine" was installed, vs. the 4.3 with light truck and the 3.08 10 bolt rear it ought to be interesting though I don't know how well it would hold up the rear is sort of tired after all these years so maybe find me a 14 both SF for it.

This is old post I resurrected going thru stuff I've missed while I was MIA..tell me more on your GETRAG swap...I recently just installed a reman Getrag in the 90 C1500, was going to look for a NV4500 for the 6.5 install I plan on doing in the 90 for a unique vehicle to have for "Cruising the Coast" we have here annually https://cruisinthecoast.com/

Thinking 1990 C1500 stepside short box std cab, with a dual turbo maybe 6.5 in it, (the original engine pulled from my K1500) before the "project engine" was installed, vs. the 4.3 with light truck and the 3.08 10 bolt rear it ought to be interesting though I don't know how well it would hold up the rear is sort of tired after all these years so maybe find me a 14 both SF for it.
Mine was in a1989 heavy C2500 6.2 diesel - I installed a 6.5 in about year 2000. that came with a granny 4 speed. It was a very easy swap. The truck weighed about 8900 lbs every day of it's long life.

The Getrag shifted like A dream. Ran it for about 700,000 problem free miles.

That truck weighed about 8900 lbs every day of it's life. Had a rack, side boxes and a gang box in the back. All loaded. And usually a pallet jack, drywall cart, 2 wheel cart and work cart.

It was a very easy swap. So easy I don't remember any issues. Seems that even the line to the slave cylinder worked out

Back