• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Manual Shift Connection Option for the 4L80E?

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
here's an excerpt from the PDF:
2.2.8 Manual Shift Connection (Optional) – C8
The TCU is configured such that it's possible to have fully manual upshifts and downshifts at the flick of a
switch like a bump stick. This works by first activating the manual mode with one switch to Terminal C.
Once activated, the transmission can be bumped up (Terminal B) or down (Terminal C) through the
forward gears via an On-Off-On momentary rocker switch.
The default connections are to be made as follows:
• Terminal A (red wire) - momentary +12 volts for bump down
• Terminal B (yellow wire) - momentary +12 volts for bump up
• Terminal C (blue wire) - +12 volts to activate manual mode
Note: These can be changed to momentary grounds within the software.
Caution: Be aware that serious engine damage could occur due to over-revving if downshifts are made at
too high of vehicle speed. The TCU cannot override your input while in the manual mode.
here is the full PDF:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_...ransmissionControllerKitInstallationGuide.pdf

if this is possible, any way to explain it in layman's terms?

LMAO.....:rof:

My reply last night was just after a quick look, saw all the tech in it, but never started to go in depth. I have a couple of pumps on the table here now, will deal with them, then will read the whole article. We can then discuss it, and I am sure that others will chime in (bonus of these forums) and together we all will be able to figure something out. :thumbsup:

Will be keeping a eye on this one. For some reason I can't open the pdf file.
Would be intersting to know if this bypasses the pressure valve and makes shifs at full line pressure. That would lower clutch pack slip, lower temp, and wear.

Would be intersting to know if this bypasses the pressure valve and makes shifs at full line pressure. That would lower clutch pack slip, lower temp, and wear.
it appears this is part of a package from GM Performance:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_...rMaticConnectCruiseControllerinstructions.pdf
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Extras/sema2011/connect-cruise-crate-powertrain-systems.jsp
https://www.google.com/search?q=GMP...u&sa=X&ei=iQRJT9faH4GKsgKQtvHqCA&ved=0CH4QrQQ
http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3647
might be a pipe dream......

Higher pressure sucks power and heats the fluid. If you have slipping - in a few seconds of major slipping the clutches are too hot to hold anymore and the trans burns up. High pressure shifts are hard on hard parts like input shafts, sprags etc. Kinda a trade off.

Ok, for ~$1,100 we can add paddle shifting which is a neat feature. Question is, what benefit does this kit bring to an OBDII system that an ECM tune and manually shifting the lever cannot do for a bunch less $$$? Or did I just answer my own question . . .?

Got feedback about the OBDII programming where the possibility of ECM doing per-gear TCC lock-up (as the Supermatic programming looks like it allows) when using the gear selector might or might not work well as this pushes the creativity boundaries for programmers. Recommendation was to beef up the brakes rather than try to use engine braking under 47 MPH and let the ghost go.

Starting to think the best way to get the 4L80E to act like a stick is to drop in a stick . . .

I have done the switches twice now. First with the old 93 manual pump truck. Employee had messed up when dropping last 6.2 in. Exhaust leak burnt up wiring which ran the 4L80E. It was an old work truck and I was stuck 200 miles from home with trailer on. I knew how to wire it so I spent $5 on 2 rocker switches. And got me home. Drove it for a year like that until last January when the motor chunked again. Junked the truck to raise quick cash to buy a 98 5-speed truck! For the trans! Also had a good 6.5 in it! $600!

The 5-speed is for the 01 gas convert that I drive every day. Thats right I have an 01 with an DB2, turboed 6.5( formerly a 6.0 gas!)! I tried everything(I knew) to fool the newer ecm into believing it could shift the 4l80e. Its a 4wd. I got the speedo working and some other stuff but just couldn't do it. I wired it for switches and run it hard every day. Truck weighs 10k with the trailer empty. Hauled a 580 SuperE extendahoe last week! With my dually down I will continue to drive it this way. Gotta have a truck and not ready to convert to 5 yet!

My point is the trans seems to hold up fine shifting this way. I would love to make a paddle shift for it! I run the converter by switch as well. With the cost of even the cheapest controller being what it is( 550 or 650 from TTS vendor was the cheapest I found) I will keep flippin my 2 switches!

I am gonna read that pdf and see if I can setup something cleaner for mine! Thanks for posting!

Higher pressure sucks power and heats the fluid. If you have slipping - in a few seconds of major slipping the clutches are too hot to hold anymore and the trans burns up. High pressure shifts are hard on hard parts like input shafts, sprags etc. Kinda a trade off.

When done properly it is better for the transmission. But, you can't just drop in a shift kit an go an expect everything to be ok. Best way is to get a properly built valvebody with modified valves an springs, then things work so much more smoothly an last much longer.

I have done the switches twice now. First with the old 93 manual pump truck. Employee had messed up when dropping last 6.2 in. Exhaust leak burnt up wiring which ran the 4L80E. It was an old work truck and I was stuck 200 miles from home with trailer on. I knew how to wire it so I spent $5 on 2 rocker switches. And got me home. Drove it for a year like that until last January when the motor chunked again. Junked the truck to raise quick cash to buy a 98 5-speed truck! For the trans! Also had a good 6.5 in it! $600!

The 5-speed is for the 01 gas convert that I drive every day. Thats right I have an 01 with an DB2, turboed 6.5( formerly a 6.0 gas!)! I tried everything(I knew) to fool the newer ecm into believing it could shift the 4l80e. Its a 4wd. I got the speedo working and some other stuff but just couldn't do it. I wired it for switches and run it hard every day. Truck weighs 10k with the trailer empty. Hauled a 580 SuperE extendahoe last week! With my dually down I will continue to drive it this way. Gotta have a truck and not ready to convert to 5 yet!

My point is the trans seems to hold up fine shifting this way. I would love to make a paddle shift for it! I run the converter by switch as well. With the cost of even the cheapest controller being what it is( 550 or 650 from TTS vendor was the cheapest I found) I will keep flippin my 2 switches!

I am gonna read that pdf and see if I can setup something cleaner for mine! Thanks for posting!

pics of this rig? this sounds like the one you need to fix up!

Ok, for ~$1,100 we can add paddle shifting which is a neat feature. Question is, what benefit does this kit bring to an OBDII system that an ECM tune and manually shifting the lever cannot do for a bunch less $$$? Or did I just answer my own question . . .?

Sorry if this is redundant but much cheaper solution than $1000
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/index.html

Why not piece together a 06 and newer Dmax shift lever and use it to control the trans instead of a toggle, maybe you can use the town haul button for tcc. That's how I would try it.

If you are still around...I would like your help on this "hard wire", I can't find diagrams or explanitive guides to complete this....PLEASE HELP!

here's an excerpt from the PDF:
2.2.8 Manual Shift Connection (Optional) – C8
The TCU is configured such that it's possible to have fully manual upshifts and downshifts at the flick of a
switch like a bump stick. This works by first activating the manual mode with one switch to Terminal C.
Once activated, the transmission can be bumped up (Terminal B) or down (Terminal C) through the
forward gears via an On-Off-On momentary rocker switch.
The default connections are to be made as follows:
• Terminal A (red wire) - momentary +12 volts for bump down
• Terminal B (yellow wire) - momentary +12 volts for bump up
• Terminal C (blue wire) - +12 volts to activate manual mode
Note: These can be changed to momentary grounds within the software.
Caution: Be aware that serious engine damage could occur due to over-revving if downshifts are made at
too high of vehicle speed. The TCU cannot override your input while in the manual mode.
here is the full PDF:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_...ransmissionControllerKitInstallationGuide.pdf

i have not looked any further into this since posting. i recently purchased a TCI EZ-TCU and am pleased so far. it was at least 500 less than the supermatic.
be warned: running a 4L80E under high line pressures will cause premature failure. under normal operation, high pressures are seen only during acceleration, not constantly.
looks like the old link is gone. here's a new one:
http://www.extremeautomatics.com/assets/pdf/gmSuperMatic.pdf

Last edited:
Back