• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Manual Shift Connection Option for the 4L80E?

i have a spare 6.5 in the shop but i made room for that. reminds me that i need to strip it bare and mothball it.

those are indeed good instructions. i had read that at one time. let us know how it holds up.

This is exactly what I am after.my wife has stage three cancer and its 30 mile trip twice a week.my speedometer went wacky one night.every time I started it it would peg then go normal while driving I drove home and next day I had no 3-4 gears only first and second and no speedometer. I replaced speed sensor and nothing.I can't keep making the trip back and forth in second and wife can't miss chemo.I don't have the money to have it figured out or play guess and check on parts.wondering if I can cut wires at plug and temporary do a switch until I figure it out.spent night in rig last night because the fuel is killing me.don't have fuel to get home today because I changed speed sensor instead.hungry and cold.any help on this issue and we would be ever greatful
I have done the switches twice now. First with the old 93 manual pump truck. Employee had messed up when dropping last 6.2 in. Exhaust leak burnt up wiring which ran the 4L80E. It was an old work truck and I was stuck 200 miles from home with trailer on. I knew how to wire it so I spent $5 on 2 rocker switches. And got me home. Drove it for a year like that until last January when the motor chunked again. Junked the truck to raise quick cash to buy a 98 5-speed truck! For the trans! Also had a good 6.5 in it! $600!

The 5-speed is for the 01 gas convert that I drive every day. Thats right I have an 01 with an DB2, turboed 6.5( formerly a 6.0 gas!)! I tried everything(I knew) to fool the newer ecm into believing it could shift the 4l80e. Its a 4wd. I got the speedo working and some other stuff but just couldn't do it. I wired it for switches and run it hard every day. Truck weighs 10k with the trailer empty. Hauled a 580 SuperE extendahoe last week! With my dually down I will continue to drive it this way. Gotta have a truck and not ready to convert to 5 yet!

My point is the trans seems to hold up fine shifting this way. I would love to make a paddle shift for it! I run the converter by switch as well. With the cost of even the cheapest controller being what it is( 550 or 650 from TTS vendor was the cheapest I found) I will keep flippin my 2 switches!

I am gonna read that pdf and see if I can setup something cleaner for mine! Thanks for posting!

Back