• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

manual glow plug over ride question

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
i'm doing a manual glow plug over ride setup that uses a relay and a pushbutton for the low side of the relay. i found the relay below in my garage.

attachment.php

the photo is also used for size comparison against the soda can.

it was the relay for a starter on a tractor with a 20hp v-twin OHV engine. can i use this relay for my over ride? i plan on using 4 awg(it was lying around) for the high side of the relay. 10 amp fuse for the low side and i have a maxi fuse holder for the high side but i'm unsure if a 50 amp fuse will be enough. thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 77
That will work....you are jumping the current GP relay...this is just used as the jumper....

Get a fusable link - They are Very Slow Blow Fuses, and for good reason. At the very low resistance that the glow circuit sees there is quite a kick when you first apply the juice.
Also; I get 104 Amps (continuous - not looking at the initial surge) for 8 1 Ohm glow plugs. (.125 Ohms at 13 Volts = 104 Amps)

Why not just manipulate the coil side of the controller? All of the safety wiring (links) are already in place.

cancel this. spoke with Bill heath on everything from the Bonneville truck(very impressiv BTW) to the tests on duraterms. Bill said that as he crossed the line at the salt flats it was so quiet in the truck that he had the factory radio on and heard his speed(153 MPH) over the AM band the announcer was broadcasting on.

Anyways, after 44 hours of testing they had to abort the test on the glow plugs as the staff wanted to go home for the weekend. sending my HP4 out next week for an "upgrade" to the GL4 courtesy of Bill himself. :D Bill Heath is a great guy. Words can't describe the customer service he and his staff provide. Thanks again Bill. You'll be seeing more from me as soon as i can afford it.

Last edited:
x2 about Bill, Ian and all the other Heath staff. Great people and great service:thumbsup:.

What testing are you referring to? Are they testing extended glow times with the Duraterms?

cancel this. spoke with Bill heath on everything form the Bonneville truck to the tests on duraterms. after 44 hours of testing they had to abort the test on the glow plugs as the staff wanted to go home for the weekend. sending my HP4 out next week for an "upgrade" to the GL4 courtesy of Bill himself. :D Bill Heath is a great guy. Words can't describe the customer service he and his staff provide. Thanks again Bill. You'll be seeing more from me as soon as i can afford it.

x2 about Bill, Ian and all the other Heath staff. Great people and great service:thumbsup:.

What testing are you referring to? Are they testing extended glow times with the Duraterms?

from what i was told they have a cut away of a cylinder head so they can view the glow plug at work. they test them in a controlled environment so each glow plug gets the same voltage, etc, etc. i'm not sure of all the brands tested but i know the bosch duraterms were "on" for a total of 44 hours before the test was aborted as the staff didn't want to leave it on while they were gone for the weekend. those glows that ran for 44 hours are now in Bill Heath's truck and the 44 hours of on time didn't hurt them one bit. now thats impressive. :D

Last edited:
Back