• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making A Come-back

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Been a few years since I've been active on the forum since selling the 6.5. Dabbled in the gasser half ton pickup market for 2 years and am looking to get back into a diesel. Been looking heavily into the 6.0L rig.

I know everyone is going to try and steer me away but I've had some friends with them and after some reliability mods just like the 6.5 they are a good engine. Playing over on powerstroke.org trying to pickup a Scangauge or Edge Insight CS monitor to check deltas, injector oil pump pressures and FICM functionality.

Look forward to coming back aboard without spark plugs.

12166264_985547184843551_1588499134_n.jpg
And you just thought having a 6.5L was bad:D. I know many say they can be good engines, but even bulletproofed I still hear of problems with them. Far to many for me to have one when I can have a DURAMAX for simliar money. Wish you the best of luck in your search for a good one. And we don't care if you aint got a truck, your welcome around here regardless.

Haha, thanks Ferm.

I do miss the 6.5, and no doubt IMHO is the cheapest diesel to own/operate/maintain.
I've been adopted into a hardcore family of "ford-ians", I've come to find out when I drive a Ford my life is much easier:blackeye:.
I now get a car allowance with my job and spend a lot of time travelling. Looking for a nicely equipped Lariat preferably, maybe a King Ranch. (I honestly like the jump-seat better than the console).

Haha, thanks Ferm.

I do miss the 6.5, and no doubt IMHO is the cheapest diesel to own/operate/maintain.
I've been adopted into a hardcore family of "ford-ians", I've come to find out when I drive a Ford my life is much easier:blackeye:.
I now get a car allowance with my job and spend a lot of time travelling. Looking for a nicely equipped Lariat preferably, maybe a King Ranch. (I honestly like the jump-seat better than the console).
My deepest condolences to be adopted into a FORDIAN family. Guess they all can't be perfect. Maybe you should consider a 7.3L so you don't have to get teh heated tailgate so your hands don't get cold pushing it out of the road. Or at least get a dog so you have somebody to keep you company while you're waiting for the tow truck. And be prepared for the meme's to begin pouring in if you get a 6 leaker.

Haha,

That's a good one! I'm feeling the love!
I would like a 7.3, but they are rediculous my prices with insane miles.

I've been considering a 2011 F250 with a 6.2 gasser but they are still $30K plus and I refuse to spend that much on a truck.

Most pre-emmision diesels worth the powder to blow them to hell are going for top dollar. 5.9's have the same high price and are fairly expensive to repair if they don't live up to the 1 million mile reputation...

Start with a pre-blown engine in a cheap project and go from there.

Well, have looked at a few trucks up here. Ranging from the 7.3L, 6.0L to the 6.4L Diesels and have yet to find a truck that isn't a complete rot box for insane money. Yesterday i found a 2009 f250 Lariat that im going to test drive Saturday. Not sure about the 5.4L in such a large truck the pictures look darn clean. It came from WV and is just South of the NY Borders (2.75 Hrs From Me). Steering wheel is a little worn on top from a cover, small dent in Drivers rear box next to bumper and some scratches on Passenger rear Flare.

1_zps6ixambj9.jpg

4_zpsp0ztalwy.jpg

11_zpsb7a6nnt0.jpg

36_zps8niveyny.jpg

31_zpshempkl1i.jpg

35_zpsgaect3zq.jpg

28_zpsd8uh0jug.jpg

For that kind of money look in rust free places and buy a plane ticket and drive it back. With clearance prices you should even consider a brand new 2015.

Most romantic trouble questions involving "the truck or me" result in keeping the truck. So you should really get what you want.

For that kind of money look in rust free places and buy a plane ticket and drive it back. With clearance prices you should even consider a brand new 2015.

Most romantic trouble questions involving "the truck or me" result in keeping the truck. So you should really get what you want.

I would love to do that, but i need to get out form under my 2011 F150 that i owe 10K on. So i need a dealer for the trade aspect.
My next issue would be missing work, i have no vacation yet. Need to be here for a year first.
The main reason im getting a different truck is work. Im traveling now with multiple guys and an extended cab is just too cramped.

The 5.4L in a 3/4 ton SUPERDUTY is pretty gutless IMO. Unless your towing, why don't you find another F-150 but with the bigger cab?

The 5.4L in a 3/4 ton SUPERDUTY is pretty gutless IMO. Unless your towing, why don't you find another F-150 but with the bigger cab?

Just something about the f150's. Put a feather in the back and they squat bad. Had a little1K in the bed of my truck and it was a scary 4 hour ride home. The front end was in the air and the steering felt very strange. Really just like to have a more capable truck.

Not sure why you have to bear the brunt of the cost related to transporting people? Carpooling?

My work pays me monthly for a car allowance as well as fuel associated with travelling to jobs. Being on the management side of the spectrum and newer to the company results in me driving most of the time. Which is ok with me as id rather drive than ride.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 2009 F250. It is in extremely good shape. Got them down about 3K. With coming out positive on my 2011 i got this ride for 14K.

Runs excellent, drives good at the moment. It needs tires badly. They pass inspection but are not winter worthy in my book. Tried to get the dealer to install, but they refused, so i just asked for more money off the price allowing me to put tires on it that i want.

Will prolly start a build thread to document it.
It came with a 3 month/3k mile complete power train warranty for free. I opted out of an extended.

I would love to do that, but i need to get out form under my 2011 F150 that i owe 10K on. So i need a dealer for the trade aspect.
My next issue would be missing work, i have no vacation yet. Need to be here for a year first.
The main reason im getting a different truck is work. Im traveling now with multiple guys and an extended cab is just too cramped.

If money is an issue, find a low mileage 6.5 crew cab. Do the upgrades and make payments to the bank until you have cash back. Or take them up on one of them there 0% loans.

Forget all that. I posted before I got to the end of the thread.

Give that thing an oil bath. I've been doing it for years. Seems to work pretty good at slowing down the rust

Back