• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

M816 wrecker

Yes, I got to see the 'Dirty Hooker' myself today and I have to say I'm even more impressed with Red's drive and desires not only for this truck but, life's goals. You're a good man and you've got my respect. This project sounded big and impressive on the forum but, up close and in person...pics don't do it all justice.

Thank you, lots more coming up with the truck especially with the bed now off the chassis. Maybe start on that camper build in the fall. Lookin forward to hanging out more often

Yes, I got to see the 'Dirty Hooker' myself today and I have to say I'm even more impressed with Red's drive and desires not only for this truck but, life's goals. You're a good man and you've got my respect. This project sounded big and impressive on the forum but, up close and in person...pics don't do it all justice.

Amen! This is "heavy" work requiring more than manpower to move things or work on stuff.

Thank you, lots more coming up with the truck especially with the bed now off the chassis. Maybe start on that camper build in the fall. Lookin forward to hanging out more often
What kind of camper do You have ? I just restored My 1976 homemade camper, I had a lot of fun taking it down to the trailer frame and building it back up from there.

IMG_3264.jpg

What kind of camper do You have ? I just restored My 1976 homemade camper, I had a lot of fun taking it down to the trailer frame and building it back up from there.

View attachment 51415

It's not a camper yet but planning to build it into one. The reason for making the m816 wrecker bed removable is for different beds as wanted/need, and a camper is one of those that's in the plans. Kinda like those Unicats and Earthroamer expedition vehicles.

Picked up this trailer for $2 at auction back in August. Using it for storage until the wrecker bed, 5th wheel tractor bed, and the 4bd1t swap projects are done. Then I'll start with the camper build. The trailer is light enough that the pickup can pull it, just can't activate the air brakes on it.

IMG_20170831_100022500.jpg IMG_20170831_100203372.jpg IMG_20170831_103840848_HDR.jpg IMG_20170831_103851122.jpg

Amen! This is "heavy" work requiring more than manpower to move things or work on stuff.

Heavy stuff does have it's benefits though. More space to work on stuff (can sit upright when under the truck), and with it being as heavy as it is you're kinda forced to find ways to 'work smarter not harder'. Like the inboard brake drums/hubs, they weigh over 160 lbs each. Could strain and pick them up by hand, but I just use a come along hahaha. (pic of early setup using a ratchet strap, same concept).

IMG_20170525_140507712_HDR.jpg

Make a tire dolly with attachment for brake drum- I bought a super single dolly like the one in pic and weded on couple tabs for brackets that hold drum. One of best semi tools I ever made. Sold it for $150 and used single tire dolly(for my hummer) when i got out. Use bigger tires like drum dolly for dirt work when needed and easier leverage.
5DBAA9E4-6E88-48AC-906D-9A0E3738D377.png
9659BEA5-6FBF-4EB9-8C20-965E84D94374.png
01E091B6-CE06-439B-9C06-A5D6296B13A1.png

Old drums makes good grinder/vice stands too.
I use a piece of 3/8ths or 1/2 inch flat, drill holes in it to match several of the lug holes in the drum, weld My pipe stand onto the flat then boltum down. Works good for the small stuff I have in the garage anyway.

I've gotta keep my setup mobile for the next few years at least until I get my own place, so rough terrain workable stuff is best for me.

Stuffed in some lumber between the chassis and the bed sub frame, then lowered the manual outriggers for the last time. Drove the wrecker forward and used the bed winch on the pickup to pull all 4 outriggers off of the truck permanently.

IMG_20180114_135145850_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180114_135312241.jpg

IMG_20180114_141311623.jpg

Then did the measurements for the winch that will be used to load/unload the beds and starting cutting out the front section of the bed to make space for it.

IMG_20180114_160824345.jpg

Got some use out of the wrecker today. Reattached the bed and it's PTO components last week. Weight wise the wrecker could have handled the entire 20ft container by itself but I don't have a spreader bar that wide and the crane doesn't go high enough for that. So the forklift was used at the other end. Everything went smooth with the unloading.

IMG_20180702_152933041_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180702_152943709_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180702_153653647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180702_154241288_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180702_154245282_TOP.jpg

IMG_20180702_154302366.jpg

IMG_20180702_155441419.jpg

This was the one hickup in the whole thing, backing up a wagon trailer haha. So rather than spend awhile learning how to do it decided to disconnect it from his truck and just use the wrecker to make it turn.

IMG_20180702_160529156.jpg

Got some use out of the wrecker today. Reattached the bed and it's PTO components last week. Weight wise the wrecker could have handled the entire 20ft container by itself but I don't have a spreader bar that wide and the crane doesn't go high enough for that. So the forklift was used at the other end. Everything went smooth with the unloading.

View attachment 53291

View attachment 53292

View attachment 53293

View attachment 53294

View attachment 53295

View attachment 53296

View attachment 53297

This was the one hickup in the whole thing, backing up a wagon trailer haha. So rather than spend awhile learning how to do it decided to disconnect it from his truck and just use the wrecker to make it turn.

View attachment 53298

Great work Red, who is your helper in the picture, I think he has me beat on the beard and the hair.:)

Great work Red, who is your helper in the picture, I think he has me beat on the beard and the hair.:)

Haha That's my friend Josh. His property. Last year he bought that trailer with the container welded to it with plans to eventually take it off the trailer and use it for storage. And we finally got around to it hahahaha. Going to do the same thing to the white box trailer in a few weeks when the ground gets leveled out along that fence line.

Moving CONEX's like that is what the 20T Tactical Crane is for. My old unit in Desert Shield/Storm had four of them, they unloaded and moved hundreds of them a day filled with rations for the 500,000 Allied troops deployed over there. You need to find a surplus crane to go with your wrecker.

Actually he wants that gone, so if you really want it shoot an offer and I'll pass it along.
The wifey said no more cars, I said but honey, its only fifteen hundred miles from here and would cost hardly a thing to retrieve. She still hung with NO ! :CRAP:

Moving CONEX's like that is what the 20T Tactical Crane is for. My old unit in Desert Shield/Storm had four of them, they unloaded and moved hundreds of them a day filled with rations for the 500,000 Allied troops deployed over there. You need to find a surplus crane to go with your wrecker.

About that, a friend of mine is buying the wrecker soon. I'm downsizing the number of vehicles and trying to set things up so that when I move in a few years, can move everything in 1 trip.

Considering either a 16-18ft gooseneck with winch/tail roller behind the pickup or maybe a M812 bridge truck which has a hydraulically lifted A frame on the back of it

The wifey said no more cars, I said but honey, its only fifteen hundred miles from here and would cost hardly a thing to retrieve. She still hung with NO ! :CRAP:

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.......... Probably a good thing I aint married yet hahaha

Back