• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LP fixed.. Now stalling problem

Thanks to all:thumbsup: Got the tank.Tomorrow have day off and I'll be dropping tank ,checking sock and replacing tank with new. I will also blow out both the feed and return line just in case.
I ordered a LP for a 93 K3500 diesel like Doc suggested. and will try to troubleshoot the existing LP, hopefully ,or at least narrow it down to the engine compartment.
I also bought a new coolant temp sensor ( figured couldn't hurt to exchange)

I spoke with a good friend of mine who worked at a local GMC dealership as their diesel mechanic for over 12yrs. He's still a mechanic just not there. He has repaired alot of these trucks/6.5 engines and is going to try and diagnose it tomorrow night. ( hopefully I don't need a new IP) . I am painting the tank with rubberized undercoat tonight in preparation for tommorow....

Wish me luck :idea:

Ok here's an update and hopefully the last post on this .:rolleyes5:

Dropped old tank from truck and realized it's a 32gal not 25 like I bought.. Doh

The tank was in great shape . The mechanic who installed the sending unit made sure and sprayed it with undercoating before he mounted it..

I removed the sending unit and it was super clean not blockage and the interior of the tank was spotless without any rust or other debris. :thumbsup:

So I decided to put the 32 back in place, after cleaning and fixing a few small holes in the filler neck.. I tell you removing/replacing a fuel tank is definitely more work than you think, ( but you all Know that)

I checked the lines and actually let the fuel run out of the supply line after I removed both ends of the LP and before I took the tank down.. To make sure there wasn't a blockage. and it ran fine .

When I replaced the LP. I noticed a small puddle under the engine block. At first I thought it was oil but closer invest. it was diesel.

Well remember when I said the fuel filter was hissing earlier. It appeared the filter wasn't on all the way or damaged. I bought a new one and replaced it .

So I believe I get the DUMMY OF THE YEAR prize:mad2::mad2:. I believe it was sucking air the entire time and think that's what was causing the OS malfunction (Air bubbles) and the LP symptoms .

I let it idol for approx 15mins and drove for another 10 ,It's been running noticeably better and so far so good . However I wouldn't count my chickens until a few days of symptom free driving..

Again thanks to everyone for their wisdom and suggestions.. Next on to tackle the injectors..

The filter manager shouldnt be hissing, are you sure the filter is clocked correctly and its seated down right, and the petcock on the top of it is closed?

It is common not to notice that the filter is actually keyed and needs to be clocked correctly. This is what I suspected when you said it was hissing.

It is common not to notice that the filter is actually keyed and needs to be clocked correctly. This is what I suspected when you said it was hissing.

I know Now :mad2: Thanks for your patience .. Sometimes I'm a little slow in comprehending:confused:

Hopefully this will do it..:thumbsup:

It still wouldn't hurt to monitor your fuel pressure. With good pressure from the LP, The IP should not suck air into the system at the fuel manager.

It still wouldn't hurt to monitor your fuel pressure. With good pressure from the LP, The IP should not suck air into the system at the fuel manager.

That's a good point, Oilburner. I would think he'd have Diesel pouring everywhere like I did when I didn't tighten down my bleeder enough!

So I believe I get the DUMMY OF THE YEAR prize:mad2::mad2:

At least you got the earliest award in the year. Plenty of time for someone like me to take it from ya.):h I chased a problem for a month only to find it was something equally as simple. It's called learning. At least you KNOW what the issue was rather than throwing parts at it and then not being really sure what the problem was and if it is really solved. In the mean time I'm happy for you and you're having found the cause.

Back