• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

low/reverse housing cracked and leaking, need help!!

dieselkidd04

Reaction score
Just recently had my allison go into limp mode due to loss of fluid, inspected and found that there was a crack in the low/reverse housing on the rear of the trans and it was spitting fluid everywhere, began teardown, removed housing, and planetary gearset, but now that im trying to re-install the housing it wont go all the way flush with the trans, something is binding,ive r&r both planetart gearsets and output shafts and also the friction and metal plates and found nothing misaligned im at a loss with this and idk if i should pull the trans or not.

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try turning the shaft(with vise grips gently locked on it)as you are putting the cover/housing on... do this all the way through the bolt tightening/torquing process...that should do it...:thumbsup:

PULL THE TRANS OUT ASAP!!!! DO NOT FORCE IT IN, YOU WILL DAMAGE IT!

One of the thrust washers has fallen down out of place because you pulled the rear cover off without it standing straight up and down. This lets the output shaft slide back and the rear thrust washer drops down. Mike L has said that even the best of em have a hard time swapping the rear cover without dropping that thrust washer. Once it drops down dissasembly is required to get it back into place without causing damage down the road.

idk if i should pull the trans or not.
I'm guessing he hasn't pulled it yet from the end of his post. I know Mike L has answered this one several times and always says to pull it when you need to replace that housing. It is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the parts from the C-4 & C-5 and get it re-aligned with it still in the truck. You would have a tough time removing that housing and gettin it back in even on a bench. You must have it straight up and down to replace that housing without chancing dropping that thrust washer internally between the intermediate shaft and the C3 hub. Chances are this repair will require almost complete disassembly to get it all lined back up correctly.

Don't know how I missed that...When he said teardown I saw that as transmission out and torn down...

well thanks guys i guess ill start pullin the trans then,hopefully i can get the truck up high enough to slide the trans out from under it, i had this problem when i did a clutch on my 04 zf-6, but hey i appreciate all the help.

Back