• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lost reverse 4L80E

3500 dually

Reaction score
Ok, I need some advise please, I got home and was backing into the drive than I heard a big pop and now I have no reverse. I have foward gears still, including low gear. The transmission has been shifting good have strong shifts into all gears. I have been servicing the transmission every 30,oooo miles like clock work. The fluid is still blood red and the truck had no warning lights. This is on a 1995 c3500 crew cab dually with 6.5 turbo diesel. Any help would be appreciated, just fustrated right now since I just install one of Leroy's new PMD relocator and was going to install my new guage pod and guages week end. Thanks David :mad2:

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you either cracked the reverse piston or broke the reverse band anchor off. Both of which are fairly common problems on early 4L80E's due to pressure spike problems that were corrected in later units.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like you either cracked the reverse piston or broke the reverse band anchor off. Both of which are fairly common problems on early 4L80E's due to pressure spike problems that were corrected in later units.

Does this make it a full rebuild or can you just replace those two parts?

You can definately just replace the broke parts ,but while you are in there an you see anything else questionable ... replace it!!

Does this make it a full rebuild or can you just replace those two parts?

Basically a full rebuild since it has to come out to fix it. Also put in a TRANSGO shift kit so it doesn't happen again as it address's the pressure spike problem in reverse that plagues these.

Ok I got my truck running again, found out it was the reverse band that broke. The ear of the reverse band where the pin goes broke off, everything else look good. Put all new clutches in along with both bands and a new converter. Doing a transmission service every 30k pays off because all the insides look real good for having 164k except the broken band. Thanks for all the input.

Ok I got my truck running again, found out it was the reverse band that broke. The ear of the reverse band where the pin goes broke off, everything else look good. Put all new clutches in along with both bands and a new converter. Doing a transmission service every 30k pays off because all the insides look real good for having 164k except the broken band. Thanks for all the input.

Make sure and put the TRANSGO shift kit in so it doesn't break your new band. The pressure spike in reverse is what caused your problem to begin with, and will happen again if you don't address it.

Where is the best place to purchase the transgo kit? Oh yea I got my new guages install now also. Thanks for the much needed advise THEFERMANATOR.

I don't know of a good online resource, I buy mine from my local tranny shop as he cuts me a deal for buying my parts from him. The best time to do it is with the trans out as that is the only time you can drill the pump housing to improve teh torque converter fluid coupling. I would go with the TRANSGO HD2 if it was mine.

Back