• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking to do a gear swap what axles do i have ?

It's a GM Corporate 14 bolt 10.5"

You don't need to know exactly what that is because any gear vendor will.

How much lube dose each axle hold ?
dose the rear need the the additive ?

Mikey

Swapping from 4.10 gears to 4.56 gears will gain you 271 rpm on the highway, not a huge gain for the cost to do it.

Well first off thanks for the info ! On the lube...

Second of all the 4.56s extra 271rpm will be plenty I think considering right now 65 = 3000rpm in third gear so now it'll be reving 3271rpm at 65mph !
How much higher you want me to run it ?

My transmission Guy Dose not recommend towing in 4th gear until i do some of the folowing cooling system upgrades.

1. HD trans cooler. i am to swap my 11x6x2 cooler for the 13x7-3/4x2 cooler.
2. Get the Cooling Transmission pan.
3. Upgrade to synthetic AFT and high end filter.

He is the one who suggested the lower gearing as it would make the truck run free, he then went on to explain that by running free he ment make the truck easier for the transmission and engine to move. he then in turn said this will now make any power adders more effective as less power will going to the operation the truck leave more power in surplus for carrying extra load or simply moving empty truck quicker.

Mikey

Last edited:
Well first off thanks for the info ! On the lube...

Second of all the 4.56s extra 271rpm will be plenty I think considering right now 65 = 3000rpm in third gear so now it'll be reving 3271rpm at 65mph !
How much higher you want me to run it ?

My transmission Guy Dose not recommend towing in 4th gear until i do some of the folowing cooling system upgrades.

1. HD trans cooler. i am to swap my 11x6x2 cooler for the 13x7-3/4x2 cooler.
2. Get the Cooling Transmission pan.
3. Upgrade to synthetic AFT and high end filter.

He is the one who suggested the lower gearing as it would make the truck run free, he then went on to explain that by running free he ment make the truck easier for the transmission and engine to move. he then in turn said this will now make any power adders more effective as less power will going to the operation the truck leave more power in surplus for carrying extra load or simply moving empty truck quicker.

Mikey

I am not saying to run at that high of an RPM, that is not good for the enging no matter who says it. It will run hotter, the oil temps will be much hotter and the lifespan of the engine will be cut down. Not to mention all the extra fuel your burning.
Well it looks like your set on driving like that so I will just add that I run a Mag Hytec trans pan and I never seen a reduction is fluid temp. The better cooler is worth doing though.
I don't think the pan is a total waste as the added fluid capacity, 4 more quarts is worth it to me. I had been running synthetic as well, 1st M1 and then Transdyne. Temps were always consistant between the dex 6, M1 and the Transdyne.

Yea well i ain't telling you to do it to your truck. . .

I'm going to regearing my Rig Upgrading my trans cooling system.
along a pillar mounted gauge pod for Transtemp and engine oil temp gauges along with a few other goodies.

Mike

it will either work out great or it'll be the same just fast get up slower cruising speed. . .
Worst case it sucks then i throw th2"-2.5" lift under it slap on a set of 19.5's which then brings my 4.56's right back to 4.10's. . .

and then...

Build it up the way every one else dose i guess. . .

Mikey

Back