• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking to do a gear swap what axles do i have ?

M123KT-450

Reaction score
How do i find out what axles i have in my 95 2500 4x4 i'm looking into swapping the stock gears what ever they maybe to 4.56s. . .

They list a few 14 bolt rear ends so i need to know what i got in the rear and what i got in the front so i can match them up right. ..

Mike

Are you asking if you have a full floater or semi floater rear? Knowing that will also tell you your ring gear size. 9.5 or 10.5 IIRC

I haven't a clue what you just siad. . . please explain i'm not so smart ?

Mikey

Can you post pictures of you diff cover and you rear tire with no center cap? Do you have full floater shafts like a big truck? ....Is there a shaft with 8 bolts sticking threw the center of your rear rims? Im not good at explaining stuff :eek:

full float axle; the axle does not "see" any weight you put in your truck, it's all on the tube. Stronger setup

semi float axle; the axle sees some of the weight.

Easiest way to tell is to pull the hubcap off a back tire. If the center hub is flush with the tire rim then it's a semi-floating. If the center hub sticks out a couple inches then it's full floating.

its dark out now but i can take some photos of both axles tomorrow yes the axle dose pop threw the rim like the big trucks. . .

didn't all the 3/4 ton+ trucks do that ? . . . I'm guessing not or you wouldn't have asked. . .

Mikey

I was flipping threw my photos just and i found these 2:

Mikey

Attachments

• mikeys photos 557.jpg
    mikeys photos 557.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 20
  • mikeys photos 558.jpg
    mikeys photos 558.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 19
I forgot i took those 2 photos a while back as folks didn't believe i had 7.50-16 tires on my truck. . .
I'll get you a better set of photos tho its dark out now so it'll have to wait till tomorrow. . .

Mikey

its dark out now but i can take some photos of both axles tomorrow yes the axle dose pop threw the rim like the big trucks. . .

didn't all the 3/4 ton+ trucks do that ? . . . I'm guessing not or you wouldn't have asked. . .

Mikey

Not all 2500 have the FF, but yes that is. Should be a 14bolt with a 10.5 ring gear... but hopefully someone else will second my thinking :thumbsup:

Your rear cover should look like this: (full floater)
SS850584.jpg

and not like this: (semi floater 14 bolt)
100_0632.jpg

Sorry for the pics, just what I found on photo bucket at work

Front Axle:

Mikey

Attachments

• mikeys photos 076.jpg
    mikeys photos 076.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4
  • mikeys photos 075.jpg
    mikeys photos 075.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 3
  • mikeys photos 074.jpg
    mikeys photos 074.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4
  • mikeys photos 073.jpg
    mikeys photos 073.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
  • mikeys photos 072.jpg
    mikeys photos 072.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3
Rear axle:

Mikey

Attachments

• mikeys photos 077.jpg
    mikeys photos 077.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
  • mikeys photos 078.jpg
    mikeys photos 078.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
  • mikeys photos 079.jpg
    mikeys photos 079.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 5
  • mikeys photos 080.jpg
    mikeys photos 080.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
I hope that helps. . .all i need to know is what axles they both are so i can get the right price on the gears. . .

Mikey

You have the 14 bolt full floating version. the first pic gave it away. the 8 bolts is the center of the hub are what holds the axle in. you have the 10.5in ring gear. now comes the fun part, there are 2 different cases for that size. one was for the 4.10 and numerically lower, ex. 4.10, 3.73,.... and the other was for 4.10,4.56, and there's another one but i can't remember. IIRC there are companies who make the 4.56 gears that will fit in the smaller set. can I ask why your going to such a high ratio?

Last edited:
its Numerically higher yes but its actually lower or slower how ever you wanna look at it.
Because i don't go many places where i need to run 65-70 for more then a few miles.
I like to tow way to much weight and i wanted the extra power of lower gears.

truck will now run 70mph@2750rpm in OD so 70 is pushing the over rev zone which is fine for me, i have no problem being maxed out at 72mph. Truck dosen't really see more then 68mph for like 2-4 miles.

I'm using some vintage engineering on this truck. . .What do you do when your motor don't have enough power ?
you add some gear in this case i'm adding alot of gear so i guess it'll be like a 1958-72 GMC 3/4ton.
Then having the 4L80E all running a HD trans cooler and over sized trans pan with pan cooler and synthetic fluid n B&M filter kit. . .
should be one stout truck tho it'll be slow on the top side it'll get there faster then most Loaded. . .

Mikey

Last edited:
Randy's website lists 2 possibilities for front end. Considering you've got the bigger rear axle, I'd say you've most likely got a GM 9.25" ring front end

Rear is GM 14T 10.5" ring. Again, looking at Randy's site it looks like you can get 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38.

I'll have to go check his site i don't think i'll have to go any lower then 4.56s i'm running 7.50-16s right now but i'd like to go to 245/70R19.5 tires in the future so i would like to have enought gear for those as well. . .

Mikey

Back