• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

looking for the best intake......

LMM DUALLY

Reaction score
so i have 07.5 3500 dually and im looking for the best intake for it but im also looking for the intake thats goin to make my turbo the loudest. anybody know of any?

I have an aftermarket intake. I'll give my honest $0.02.... I purchased an S&B intake. As far as sound and power, I can't tell much, if any difference. I think it does whistle a little louder, but not enought to justify the cost. One good point for the aftermarket intake is it looks better, and it has to flow more efficent than the stocker. After removing my factory one and comparing side by side, there is ALOT of difference in the restrictions between the two, with the S&B being alot less restrictive. But thats my eyes making the judgement...:)

i have an aem, i like it the turbo whistle is louder and their is some performance gain.
i would stay away from filter systems that you need to have reoiled but that is my opinion. get a banks system if you have the funds, might as well get all you can for the money. let us know what you decide!!!!

Im sure other will be chiming in like crazy about the whole stock is the best, blah blah blah.....I run AirAid in all of my truck and all of them show enough improvement to see and feel once it was on there....IMO they have the best intake, the best R&D, the best customer service, and the best power gains....they also filter better than stock while flowing better...so to answer your question...AIRAID AIRAID AIRAID

I run a quadzilla intake. I noticed a big gain in throttle response and turbo whistle when i put mine on. Go to the thread i started in this forum about intakes "what kind of intake do you have" and you can see what the most popular stuff is.

-Drew

ok so i had an AFE on my 03 dodge and it was alright i had the torque tube also and it made it louder but didnt notice alot. but maybe thats just dodge.and whts this i hear about blocking the air flow sensor or some sh*t to get more power?

AIRAID's new line of MXP intakes - By far the best on the market... You will need part #200-219. Just my .02 cents though...

200-219-LG.jpg

so that thing that you can plug that youll find under the 6.6L cover on the motor what is that and can i do it without changing my intake, putting a chip,etc.?

Its a resonator for noise basically. You can remove and use a 2" pipe plug to fill it. You can find the pipe plug at any standard hardware store in the PCV section of plumbing...

The resonator I beleive they call it is easily plugged like maxmscl said.

Thats what most people are talking about.

The stock box is good, but you can always add a better one just like the stock wheels are good but you can always add better ones.

The only passenger diesel vehicle I know that comes from the factory with the absolute highest performance air intake out of the box is the TDI VWs. You can maybe cheesebox them a little bit but there is nothing more to imrove on.

So to answer your question and intake will help one the looks side, power you wont notice, torque you wont notice and turbo noise you wont notice unless your ear is on the air filter.

yeah thats it.. the egr thats what it was i think. so is that good to do?

it's done not so much for power gains, but to keep nasty exhaust gasses from recirculaating back into the motor. for people running tuners, it should be a must. with the increase in fuel, there is a lot of sooty gasses being forced back into the motor. that aint helping combustion any.... :D

so that thing that you can plug that youll find under the 6.6L cover on the motor what is that and can i do it without changing my intake, putting a chip,etc.?

the 6.6 cover is simply a resonator. it helps quiet the intake noise down a bit. puttin a plug (2" pipe plug, $4 from home depot) in there will block it. you may notice a slightly louder sound on your truck, but not likely. you have a vvt turbo already so it spools quickly and loudly. us lb7 guys will notice more than the rest of you runnin a vvt. however, even on my lb7 it wasn't even that noticable, just heard it light at a slightly lower rpm.

its easy to do and cheap. the only practical reasons for pullin it off are a) less junk under the hood to remove if you wrench on your own stuff and no worries about the plastic cover crackin and letting unfiltered air into the intake.

other than that, personal preference.

edit: check the garage. i added a pic of how i blocked mine off. one way to do it.

yeah i did it and didnt hear or feel anything different. dam it ha ha i was hoping for something.

Back