• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a tranny core. Want some tips.

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 6 speed allison to rebuild and have a question on what yr would be best.

Would an LMM tranny be better? Arent they rated for more HP from the factory? Will all the harnesss cross over to an 06 truck or do i need to stick with my current 06-07 options?

No one/ nothing?

Last time I bad mouthed the set up and got alot of replies real quick....

Is a newer model yr tranny plug and play or even worth the extra coin?

If your looking for a core for an LBZ, it needs to come from an LBZ. All of the 6 speeds are the same internally up to 2010, except for the bellhousing. in 2007 when the LMM came out they removed the speed sensor for the input speed sensor that read off the converter and started using the input from the ECM. You can use a LMM core, but you will have to swap in your bellhousing to make it work in your LBZ truck.

Ok, that answers my question then.

Internals are the same so no advantage there and the bellhousing swap is no big deal so i guess if i find one for the right price then it might be ok.

Any advice on who builds the best tripple disk converter and what needs modified in the tranny to make it hold ~500 max and ~300 towing HEAVY. Maybe a kit for the built internals? Someone to call who knows? Just looking for info from trusted people not just some random shop in the yellow pages.

Cooling upgrades are a given.

Thanks for the help Ferm

Mike L of inglewood transmissions is always a good guy to call for the ALLISON, as well as George(AKA big dipper in maryland?), or the guys at SUNCOAST. For a reliable trans at 500HP, a SUNCOAST stage 3 would work, but I would also reccomend a lock up boost valve with the white spring(if you ever plan on going above 500, go with the orange spring). And if you've never been inside of an ALLISON and plan on doing it yourself, buy an ATSG manual and make sure and buy from somebody who will provide support as chances are you will have some questions during the build. For a good triple disc converter, you will NOT regret going with a PRECISION INDUSTRIES triple disc ML. You won't believe the difference it will make in how the truck responds and couples down low.

THANKS!!! Thats pretty much what i needed!

I like manuals with Purdy pictures for the reading impaired and a guy (or woman in the case of Blumenthals) to call and get advice when I am throwing the tranny together and get a grease smudge on my picture lol

1st step, get a tranny. 2nd step, COLLECT PARTS... Here we go!

Back