• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a good chip

PhattDaddy94HD

Reaction score
I ran into a little cash (saftey bonus) and am now looking for a good chip for my 94 6.5 F motor, 5 speed. I will be pulling my drag car (69 Chevelle SS 11.80@110mph) and I plan to buy a10-12ft overhead camper. I won't be racing the truck (I have a car for that) but I want good pulling power and no drop in boost (recomendations say no more than 14psi) through the redline. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeff

Definitely check out one of our vendors here. They'll take good care of you with excellent customer service! Plus, they are tried and true and will provide safe, reliable performance gains. :agreed:

How do I find the vendors on the forum? I just looked at Heath and thier max-torque chip is $549.+$200. deposit. WAY TOO MUCH for poor white truck driver! Is there anyplace more reasonable? I could afford around $200. but I don't need a gold plated chip! I have found chips online for $300.+$200. deposit but that still seems steep. Thanks Jeff

You could go with a KOJO tune...he's got the best tables for proper tuning...not sure who he sells through on the site but you could try LeroyDiesel or Slim Shady...they are more reasonably priced than the Heath tunes...

currently Slim is working on his own tuning with help from thefermanator...these tune will be awesome when complete...

other outside sellers that peddle there wares outside of forum guidelines just aren't worth mentioning...

You could go with a KOJO tune...he's got the best tables for proper tuning...not sure who he sells through on the site but you could try LeroyDiesel or Slim Shady...they are more reasonably priced than the Heath tunes...

currently Slim is working on his own tuning with help from thefermanator...these tune will be awesome when complete...

other outside sellers that peddle there wares outside of forum guidelines just aren't worth mentioning...

PM me we have something in the almost ready state, that is in your ball park.

How do I find the vendors on the forum? I just looked at Heath and thier max-torque chip is $549.+$200. deposit. WAY TOO MUCH for poor white truck driver! Is there anyplace more reasonable? I could afford around $200. but I don't need a gold plated chip! I have found chips online for $300.+$200. deposit but that still seems steep. Thanks Jeff

That's why I haven't gotten one yet myself. Way too expensive! It's funny, just a few months ago the posted price on his ECM was $349 + $200 core and now it's up to $549+ $200. Well I won't be buying from Heath. Besides everything else he sells is kinda over priced.

You should check eBay for the 6way tune, made by a member here on the forum.

TTS Vendors

Not a good idea. He's not having good luck with making reliable engine horsepower. Blowing up turbos and engines I hear. Stick with one of our vendors and get SAFE, RELIABLE power gains! :agreed:

I am also looking for the best deal on this upgrade. I wish I had time to figure it out myself but.... I don't. I look forward to seeing what we find here.

Well, I had a Maxx-E-torq, then a GL-4 from Heath in my 1996 truck.
In my Blazer I ran a 5 banger Kojo tune, and now a 3 banger chip from Buddy.

Been very happy with all of them

I had customers with Heath or Kojo tunes in their trucks, all happy guys.

I don't know if that would help a lot... It seems anyways that any tune is better than stock ;)

No problems with my buddy tune here. 80k on the tunes (2 friends in Ok are running them too) and it has seen it all. Won't say he hasn't ran into issues with other clients because I haven't heard but until I see these issues come to the surface I won't bad mouth him.

Heath is over priced and KOJO seems to have trouble getting tunes to people in a timely manner. I am interested in slims tunes but until I see some people running them and see who is selling them in the vendors section I will stick with what has worked for me so far.

You can't race your car if it doesn't get there before the event starts.

With the following advice you will have an entire new truck with power you never knew it had. Like dropping a new blower on a well tuned 454 and running it down the track on a cold day vs. without the blower.

The biggest gain you can get is getting rid of the factory exhaust and Asthma Attack factory turbo esp. for towing. Figure at least $1500.00 for exhaust, tune and turbo. The A Team Turbo will pay for itself in fuel saved, less fan use, and higher MPH vs. a factory turbo that overworks the engine. Others can comment on MPG results of other turbo's tried vs. factory.

Otherwise with the factory turbo you keep RPM at or below 2200. Won't do much good to downshift over that RPM as the turbo chokes. Worse over 3K RPM. You simply are fighting the turbo, cooling fan, and hot intake air more than the power generated on a long grade at higher RPM.

There are minor power gains to be had with just a chip that runs more boost. But not much and the turbo keeps your MPG the same.

Don't settle for 'just a chip'.

Not a good idea. He's not having good luck with making reliable engine horsepower. Blowing up turbos and engines I hear. Stick with one of our vendors and get SAFE, RELIABLE power gains! :agreed:

I have a pretty clean tune from him now, passing emissions, and running a soot trap for over a year with the big turbo's. I would LOVE to hear how you blow a turbo with a tune! :drama: We tried to blow an A Team Turbo and just turned the inside of the turbo blanket black from extreme EGT's while testing tunes. Extended grades with a trailer flat out. I have not seen EGT's that high since testing.

Problem is getting core ecm's here. When i have cores it is rare situation if tune order stays here longer then 1 or 2 working days, and www.itella.fi says delivery time to states is 5-10 days.

The big hurdle seems to be US customs sitting on things for 2-3 weeks anymore. It's a situation that is outside of your control dealing with them.

Problem is getting core ecm's here. When i have cores it is rare situation if tune order stays here longer then 1 or 2 working days, and www.itella.fi says delivery time to states is 5-10 days.

Wasn't trying to say it was your fault or poor customer service. I was just saying that the tunes take awhile to arrive and some people want stuff NOW.

The big hurdle seems to be US customs sitting on things for 2-3 weeks anymore. It's a situation that is outside of your control dealing with them.

we have the same problem here with Canada customs when we order something from the USA. Fortunately I live within 7 miles of the USA and have an American shipping address. I also have a heath tune and have my emissions testings for the last 10 years, when I had it tested last it was with a new ATT turbo. I had by far the best or cleanest readings I ever had. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...rcare-smog-test-with-best-numbers-in-10-years If you look closely at the reading at the bottom, It says fuel economy with a scale from best to worst, all tests except the last one showed worst, Although this latest test showed towards the worst end, It was also not as far towards worst as all other tests were.

Back