• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a diesel garden tractor or skid loader capable of hooking up a mower deck

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
I sold the 1980 25 hp. John Deere 400 garden tractor

I am looking for something to replace it with.

I was thinking a 20 hp minimum diesel minimum. Preferably hydrostat. Rear pto and 3 point are a must for a garden tractor.

This morning while looking around I saw some skid loaders for sale.

My neighbor has a mower deck for the front of his skid loader and I thought that might be a good versatile option. I don't know much about what is available on this line. His is brand new. I can't afford that. LOL
He has also been through 2 of them because of electronic control issues.

Another friend with a few year old JCB backhoe has had a lot of issues with controls and emissions.

I am in no hurry. Any advice links, auction links, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

If I was rich I'd buy a Land Tamer with front and Rear 3 point. Those things are awesome. With something like that I could get rid of the backhoe, a mower, the 4010 and a boat

Last edited:
Actually I have seen Land Tamers sell at gov. auction for in the $20,000 range.

If I could find one with the capabilities I want, I would be all over it.

I need to contact the owner for advice.

Wish I new my model numbers and had a road worthy trailer. There's some nice skid steers and surprisingly low hour mowers on there. Mostly pretty cheap so far. Might be a reason for the cheap part.
I used to follow them govt auctions. I seen a lot of nice trucks go for durt cheeeep. Just not cheeeep enough for Me to load up and go get one or several.

Their are some amazing deals and once in a while a nightmare. Look into where they rigs/equipment come from. They do occasionally have government contractors sell their stuff there- avoid them.

On the 6.5 engines- in a hmmwv or truck- 70% it is ok. Take outs are 10% ok.

On rigs like hmmwvs that don’t come with a title but instead an SF-97, check with your local dmv before buying. Many states don’t allow them to ever register them for on road use. Folks here in Nevada that used to but no longer allow it, guys get a legal residence in another state via post office box, and have that mail shipped here. They register the rigs there and drive them here.

I went out and checked out things for sale from them a few times, bid on a couple but never won. Sometimes items go for cheap, then the next one it’s like 500 millionaires are in a contest of who can overpay the most. One time a snapon tool set that I bid on cost $780 brand new went for over $2200! Idiots. The people that let you go examine before bidding are supposed to follow rules exactly, but when they are busy eating donuts and such might not notice you starting an engine... Not here of course but just saying maybe you get lucky.

I was surprised at the number of mowers on the auctions with under 100 hours. All around $3000 when I checked. I'll have to check what they sell for.

We have 2 Toro mowers. 223D and a 325D. Front decks. But not zero turns.

We are liking the idea of a skid steer with front deck. We need something tractorish. I'm wondering how a hitch on the back of a skid steer would work

I was surprised at the number of mowers on the auctions with under 100 hours. All around $3000 when I checked. I'll have to check what they sell for.

We have 2 Toro mowers. 223D and a 325D. Front decks. But not zero turns.

We are liking the idea of a skid steer with front deck. We need something tractorish. I'm wondering how a hitch on the back of a skid steer would work
It would most likely work quite well, once You got the hang of backing a trailer with a skid steer.
Might be better to make a quick attach adaptor to hook to the front mower unit, with a ball on it, then at least You would not be breaking Your kneck joints trying to look back at whut duh trailer is doing. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹😹

I try backing my small trailer with the four wheeler. That is very tricky. If there was a way to watch what the trailer is doing, it would be great.

Thinking now about getting a skid steer and a little tractor. If I could find a skid steer with heated cab, snowblower and mowing deck, it would replace the 325D. Then use the little tractor to drag stuff around. All we have for dragging little trailers around right now is the 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. Which needs the timing belt as soon as I get the Tahoe out of the way. The Jeep is a little heavy for running around the yard.

Back