• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking at a 2003 this weekend

stricker76

Reaction score
Hey guys. Going to look at a 2003 this weekend with around 110,000 miles on it. Anything in particular I should look at with the engine? I know the obvious stuff with the rest of the truck, but clueless on the Duramax. Going to check the origional purchase date to see if it would still be under warranty for the injectors, but is that transferable? Think i will be the 3rd owner. Any info is appreciated!

See if you can get the VIN before you go to look at it. This way you can have it checked here then you will have some history on the truck.

Wow, didn't know i could do that. Thanks! I'll give him a call and see if i can get it.

LB7's have proven to be good engines over time. I wouldn't be worried about 110k miles at all. Its just getting broken in.

Other than the injectors, they've been good trucks. We have several LB7 owners here so I'm sure they could tell you more from their stand point. I started out with an 04.5 LLY and moved on to an LBZ so my knowledge on the 1st generation is limited.

Can anyone tell me if the injector warranty is transferable? And if there is any easy way to tell if it has injector issues?

Found this at a neighboring site. :confused: ):h

#04039B: Special Coverage Adjustment - Injectors-Replace - (Nov 19, 2007)

999999995.gif
Subject:04039B - Special Policy Adjustment - Injector - Replace

Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak

2003-2004 GMC TopKick

Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) Engine

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD 2004 MODEL YEAR TRUCKS. PLEASE DISCARD SPECIAL POLICY BULLETIN NUMBER 04039A, DATED OCTOBER, 2006.
Condition

Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion (refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and SI).
Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.
For 2001-2002 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 25, 2004, are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 25, 2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
For 2003 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after October 10, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to October 10, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
For 2004 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 19, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 19, 2007 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine and built within the following start of production to end of production VIN breakpoints:
Year
Division
Model
From
Through
Chevrolet
Silverado
1E100028
1E346644
1F100001
1F213872
1Z100015
1Z100019
GMC
Sierra
1E100021
1E346642
1F100010
1F213864
Chevrolet
Silverado
2E100009
2E306435
2F100004
2F247804
GMC
Sierra
2E100003
2E306345
2F100011
2F247974
Chevrolet
Silverado
3E100002
3E381007
3F100003
3F259043
Chevrolet
Kodiak
3F500015
3F522532
GMC
Sierra
3E100003
3E381124
3F100008
3F259040
GMC
TopKick
3F500001
3F900945
Chevrolet
Silverado
4E100018
4E221395
4F100004
4F174846
Chevrolet
Kodiak
4F500118
4F510079
GMC
Sierra
4E100002
4E223355
4F100008
4F174834
GMC
TopKick
4F100126
4F510077
Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special policy are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO).
Part Number
Description
Qty/ Vehicle
97729095*
Injector Kit, Dir Fuel (Incls: Injector, Gasket, Seal)
Gasket, Valve Rocker Arm Cover (Reusable Gasket)
As Req'd
Gasket, F/Injr Fuel Return Pipe
Gasket, F/Injr Fuel Return Pipe
Seal, Water Outlet
12378521 (US)
88901148 (CN)
Sealant
As Req'd
Housing, F/Injr Noz
As Req'd
Seal, F/Injr Noz Hsg (O-Ring)
As Req'd
*P/N 97729095 is only available in a merchandising pack quantity of 4. Current order restriction limits availability to 8 injectors per VIN.
Customer Notification

Customers will be notified of the special policy on their vehicles by General Motors (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin -- actual divisional letter may vary slightly).
Service Procedure

Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and Service Information to perform diagnostics and fuel injector replacement for high fuel return rates.
Courtesy Transportation

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product recall is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.
Claim Information

For vehicles repaired under the terms of this special policy, submit a claim with the information indicated below:
Important: A copy of the completed TSB 04-06-04-007G diagnostic worksheet and other required documentation (e.g. Tech 2® snapshots) must be included in the box with the returned injectors.
Repair Performed
Part Count
Part No.
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours
Net Item
Refer to the latest version of TSB 04-06-04-007 to diagnose and replace all 8 fuel injectors
--
--
MK-95
T5603

Silverado, Sierra
Kodiak, TopKick
Reimbursement for Previous Repairs (Canadian Dealers ONLY)
N/A
N/A
N/A
MK-95
T5604
Administrative labor hours
Courtesy Transportation
N/A
N/A
N/A
MK-95
N/A
* -- The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer Net price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-up (for IPC) for injectors needed to complete the repair.
** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the sum total of the Current GMSPO Dealer Net Price plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost Mark-Up (for IPC) for shop supplies needed to perform the required repairs.
*** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the customer reimbursement amount.
**** -- Submit courtesy transportation using normal labor operations for courtesy transportation as indicated in the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual.
***** -- The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the actual dollar amount for courtesy transportation.
Customer Reimbursement -- For US

All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special policy condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.
A General Motors Special Policy Customer Reimbursement Procedure form is included with the customer letter.
Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.
Customer Reimbursement -- Canada

Customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs to correct high fuel return rate by replacing fuel injectors in 2004 model year trucks are to be submitted prior to or by November 30, 2008. Repairs must have occurred within the 7 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 320,000 km, whichever occurs first.
When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:
Proof of ownership at time of repair.​

Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.​

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.
November 2007Dear General Motors Customer:
As the owner of a 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra or 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak, or GMC TopKick vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.
This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax diesel engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion or high pressure extrusion. Symptoms of these conditions include illumination of the service engine soon (SES) light, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in the crankcase.
This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.
What We Have Done

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel injectors. If this condition occurs on your 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak or GMC TopKick vehicle within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.
What You Should Do

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is a convenient time for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glovebox literature for future reference.
Reimbursement

The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special policy condition.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, must contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below. The Customer Assistance Center's hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday.
Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Chevrolet
1-800-630-2438
1-800-833-2438
GMC
1-866-996-9463
1-800-462-8583
Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

GMICT
1-800-862-4389

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
General Motors Corporation
Enclosure
04039B
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

I had an lb7...and loved it...just be careful of the injectors...they are not cheap to replace on your own dime

The 7 years is coming up soon so hopefully the injectors were replaced already. I don't know if the replacements were of better quality or not (you would THINK SO). Our LB7 guys should know though.

If i am able to get the VIN and get a check done will that tell me if they have been replaced?

Well, that one fell through. Going to look at a 2004 this weekend. Higher mileage though, 186000 miles. Kind of worries me, but i guess at least it'll still have warranty for the injectors.

Supposedly if the injectors were replaced after 04 they should have a green dot on the top stating that they are the improved one. I think its a load of crap though. They still go bad.

To do all eight injectors on your own dime in your driveway expect to have about 1300-1400 tied up in it and a good weekends time providing you have good mechanical knowledge.

Im slowly working on getting my step by step writeup finished up. But its taking time.

They really arent that hard to replace. Ive seen good experienced mechanics do them in a regular 8 hour day.

Other than the injectors there really isnt much else to look for that you wouldnt look for in any other vehicle.

Ask the owner if he changes his spin on filter on the trans. Out of all the locals i talk to about 10% of them even know its there. and of those 10% maybe half of them know theres a magnet in there.

you can have the VIN checked on here for a history and if your really picky you can run the truck to a gm dealership and have them scan it to see if it has be reprogrammed recently with any values out of range. This will give you somewhat of an idea if it had a programmer or not.

otherwise they are damn good motors and sound really nice.

Back