• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LMM Gas Mileage

LMM Mileage

• Total voters

WhtThndr3

Yeah, I'm that guy
Reaction score
How's your gas milage been lately in your LMM? Please include mileage, mods, and driving style. This will help us all in getting the best possible drop out of every $5:prrr: per gal we can get.

Last edited:
I'm Getting about 14-15 around town, all highway miles have been towing my 5ver and I have averaged 11 towing.

The average is at 14.9 at this time and I have around 700 miles on her.This is hwy/city mixed.Also had to keep it around 55 and vary speed for the first 500 so not the best conditions to get decent mpg.Bone stock I drive conservatively as I'm usually not in a hurry most of the time.In the city I try and keep the rpm's around or under 2k.

It won't let me edit like it did earlier:banghead:.....you'll just have to get over it, and I get to look like an :ciappa:

Lesson learned!):h

:lol: I just couldn't let ya slide on that.

Back on topic, a local guy here bought the first LMM truck in this area that I know of. He got rid of the truck after only having it about 2 months, he could get no better than 10 mpg out of the truck stock. I know there is a break-in period, but the current owner is still getting the same mileage after about a year.

SO where is everyone I know more guys can respond here?I know this has been a repeat topic other places but it hasn't really been beat to death yet here.

:lol: I just couldn't let ya slide on that.

Back on topic, a local guy here bought the first LMM truck in this area that I know of. He got rid of the truck after only having it about 2 months, he could get no better than 10 mpg out of the truck stock. I know there is a break-in period, but the current owner is still getting the same mileage after about a year.

I know how that feels. Its so frustrating that GM restricts owners by not letting them open the trucks up to get better milage. (B/C of Warranty) It just pisses me off that the tree huggers want cleaner air, so they put in a dpf. But what does that do to our milage...makes us use more FUEL. :wtf: Save the environment, so use up the environment more?????

Sorry for the :rant:

around town i was get around 15mpg. havnt taken it on another highway trip since i first got it but at the time it was stock and it got about 23mpg at like 65mph the entire way. i was kinda shocked since everyone was saying they only get between 15-18. i now have the stealth 2 with no dpf on it rite now and i noticed a big jump in miles per tank. i stopped calculating it since i took of the dpf and put the tunner in.

Just to add some positive here-I drove a 454 since 94 and I just sold it to buy my new LMM.I did this because my 454 couldn't handle the loads I was throwing at it.On a 6% grade I was pushing it as hard as she could go and with 10k I could barely get 50mph!
And with the old truck hwy mpg was 10-11 at its best empty.Towing lets just say with 10k,I would get 5-7! So I have no problem with this truck especially given where I came from-just my little rant sorry to stray a bit.

I'll play. 2500 miles. Stock (w/17" 265's), dfp back MBRP. Leer Capper. Around town light I get 14-15. Hwy 17+ (don't know haven't driven it that far light yet). Towing through town I get 11-12. I'm towing (<--- boat, ~6,000 lbs with added drag from the tower and speakers) down to the knoxville area (7 hrs) tomorrow. I'll report back, hope to get 11-12. Gasser (5.3) doing the same route last year got 9.

The best I've ever gotten was 13.8 MPG (this was when the stock exhaust was still on the truck) and that was on a 100 mile trip that was 95% highway driving. I haven't really had time to do a fair fuel consumption comparison since I removed the stock exhaust with the turbo back system. When the DPF came off I had Nick write me up a 400 RWH tune for EFILive to reflash to my truck. It's been way too much fun matting the go pedal feeling the extra power and listening to the sweet exhaust tone to stop and see if there was any mileage change by removing the stock exhaust.

I do know this. This is my third Duramax pickup, the other two trucks were LB7s, when driving conservatively the LMM gets way worse mileage than either LB7 ever did.

Just took my first trip not towing, secondary roads averaged about 50-55MPH. The truck only has 1600 miles on it and got 18.7 MPG over the 279 miles. I have read all the horror stories but I am pleased. I think for a 3500 dcually I am getting good mileage. I know some of you are getting more and maybe as the truck breaks in it will also. But, the towing power and capacity of the truck coupled with the mileage I am getting now makes me a happy camper.

On Edit - The truck has no mods

Last edited:
I know only 8 of us have replied so far, but no one is getting better than 19. I'm surprised there hasn't been any, with all the dpf deletes and tuners, one would think there are some effiecent trucks out there. Although, with those mods maybe they can't get out of the peddle:sifone:

Four tanks worth down to the knoxville area and back. All hand calc. Truck performed better than my wildest expectations. Cruise set on 70 on the I-state. 3500 miles on the truck. Very pleased.

-So. Il to north side of Nashville. 11.7 (started with 3/4 tank, 10.3 (lots of city))
-N of Nashville to NS of Knoxville 13.0!!
-Knoxville through the country to Dale Hollow Lake 11.7 (lots of idleing around the campsite to through the boat in the water 4x's)
-E of Nashville Home 12.0 Strong x wind.

Four tanks worth down to the knoxville area and back. All hand calc. Truck performed better than my wildest expectations. Cruise set on 70 on the I-state. 3500 miles on the truck. Very pleased.

-So. Il to north side of Nashville. 11.7 (started with 3/4 tank, 10.3 (lots of city))
-N of Nashville to NS of Knoxville 13.0!!
-Knoxville through the country to Dale Hollow Lake 11.7 (lots of idleing around the campsite to through the boat in the water 4x's)
-E of Nashville Home 12.0 Strong x wind.

That's not to bad for towing, considering I'm getting 14ish just in city.

OK, best possible conditions; I had a slight tailwind (very slight), filled 'er up, sat down and drove 613 miles without stopping and I got 20.1 mpg on the DIC. That was with about a thousand pounds of gear, AND my ladders and rack, which are like giant sails. I think that if I had no ladders or rack with a tonneau cover, I would have gotten 22

Now, driving back west with an ever so slight headwind, I got about 18.5.

All in all, I am very pleased with my MPG's. And, like many have said, it seems to be getting better now that I am over 15K on the clock

Back