• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LLY/LBZ FAQ's

Pros/Cons of the LBZ/ LLY

What do you like?

What don't you like?

Well, I am partial but I like the looks of the classic more than the newer body style. I am very happy with the truck overall, my only dislike is the internals being a weakpoint. :beer:

Well, I am partial but I like the looks of the classic more than the newer body style. I am very happy with the truck overall, my only dislike is the internals being a weakpoint. :beer:

I agree Jim.

Pistons seem to be the big downfall on this year, everything else is great.

I love the body style, 6-speed Allison, and generally the truck.

Mine has been great.

Hi I am new to this forum and am really interested in this thread as I just acquired an 07 LBZ stock with 36K mi on the clock. I have had diesel vehicles since 1982 and the new to me LBZ is great compared to all the others I have owned. I also feel that no vehicle that comes off a production line is perfect and needs some personal attention by the owner to make it right.

This FAQ thread started off great and then kinda got off track.

Some questions I had are:

Can you use a larger tire size, install a Transgo Jr, deep transmission pan, cold air induction, 4" turbo back exh., Power tuner, winch, leveling kit, etc. without voiding the warranty?

ColdLBZ wrote in another thread:

These are just some part numbers I have written down, I'm unsure if they are all still current.

29539579 Allison spin on
29537965 Allison shallow sump filter
88917036 AC Delco PF2232 oil filter
89060534 Fuel filter TP1298B
15918221 LBZ air filter

Hope this helps.

I would also say that when my Allison cooler lines start to leak I will be taking them off and down to the hydraulic shop and have new hoses fabricated and that will be the end of that problem. I don't think GM is ever really going to fix that problem

Hi I am new to this forum and am really interested in this thread as I just acquired an 07 LBZ stock with 36K mi on the clock. I have had diesel vehicles since 1982 and the new to me LBZ is great compared to all the others I have owned. I also feel that no vehicle that comes off a production line is perfect and needs some personal attention by the owner to make it right.

This FAQ thread started off great and then kinda got off track.

Some questions I had are:

Can you use a larger tire size, install a Transgo Jr, deep transmission pan, cold air induction, 4" turbo back exh., Power tuner, winch, leveling kit, etc. without voiding the warranty?

to the red, all but the tuner would be okay with 99% of the dealers. the tuners may or may not hurt you. it really depends on how dickish the dealer is. good luck with the truck.

Thanks Stacks. I eventually want to go to 285 tires but I hear that it will void the Allison warranty. Have you heard anything like that. I don't mind voiding my warranty on some items but like to know what I am voiding.

Since i bought the truck from a dealer I got the 12 mo/12K mi Bumper to bumper warranty.

Since the Allison is working great I want to preseve it and I think the mods will extend its life significantly.

imo 75% of people with the silverado go to 285's and no i havent heard that issue with the allison. the only issue i see with the ally is the neutral safety switch connector on the older ones corroding. and putting more than 80-90 hp to them without some internal mods. the jr kit is a good easy kit to install if you have some time and patience.

Barry first welcome to the site!!!!

I would not give running 285's another thought. I have run mine for 38,000 miles with no issues. I ran them for the first 10K with the Allison stock. The truck now has the Transgo Jr. and a Predator running on the 85 hp setting.
Now the tranny lines are another story. You have the answer so just sit back and watch for a drip. I just put my third set in about a month ago.

imo 75% of people with the silverado go to 285's and no i havent heard that issue with the allison. the only issue i see with the ally is the neutral safety switch connector on the older ones corroding. and putting more than 80-90 hp to them without some internal mods. the jr kit is a good easy kit to install if you have some time and patience.

I am fortunate to have been inside a few automatics. I did a complete overhaul on a Th400 and installed the transgo in both the R700 and the 480LE. So, if I watch my P's and q's I hope to do a good job on the Allison.

Barry first welcome to the site!!!!

I would not give running 285's another thought. I have run mine for 38,000 miles with no issues. I ran them for the first 10K with the Allison stock. The truck now has the Transgo Jr. and a Predator running on the 85 hp setting.
Now the tranny lines are another story. You have the answer so just sit back and watch for a drip. I just put my third set in about a month ago.

Thanks for the welcome 427!! I plan to do the Allison lines only once. So, I will be paying for it out of my pocket.):h

I am fortunate to have been inside a few automatics. I did a complete overhaul on a Th400 and installed the transgo in both the R700 and the 480LE. So, if I watch my P's and q's I hope to do a good job on the Allison.

if you have had success on the turbo's and the 4l80 you will find the allison like eating breakfast. the jr kit doesnt require removal of the trans just the pan. you simply need to replace some springs and things. the biggest part is not losing the check balls. the rest of the allison is really a bunch of clutch packs. 5 to be exact. they are by far the easiest trans to do.

Welcome Barry! Glad to have you. For the record, I have almost 115k miles on my LBZ with 285s. 75k 1st set. Absolutely no issues ever. You will have a 7% correction factor though with the larger tires.

Btfarm, I can see by your sig that the 285's let your motor pull just fine. And I am proud to see you are a vet and an NRA member. Let me see, a BT2 would be a Petty Officer Second Class Boiler Technician?

I am considering a 7'X14-16' Cargo trailer with tandom axles that will probably max out not more than 7K.

It looks like I will be getting a prodigy brake controller. My question is which model??

I have been traveling and haven't had time to work on my truck and then the wife backed into a parking bollard and I can't even get the tailgate open.
909114707_PoEsj-M.jpg

Anyway if any can be so kind as to post links to any of the following DIY mods it would be appreciated.

Air Intake
PCV hose rerouting
and any other mods that will extend the life and help my truck run better.

Last edited:
Back