• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

lly glow plugs

dieselkidd04

Reaction score
well just had a check engine light the other day turned out to be glow plug #4 circuit failure , checked the wiring looks good, figured id just go ahead and replace them all since there not too expensive, just wondering if anyone has changed them before they look pretty simple just wondering if theres anything i should avoid doing or maybe some shortcuts, thanks,

I dont know if I would change them all.. if you break one off that was good, you'll end up pulling the head...sounds like an unecesssary risk...jmho

I'd be cautious also. They're long and skinny with the hex head a long ways away from the threaded portion. Seems like they could break easily if there is any corrosion from salt spray around the threads.

thanks guys i appreciate it im hoping the tip isnt broken but with my luck ill be pulling the head, if thats the case looks like head gaskets and arp studs!!!!!!!!!!

#4 shouldn't be that tough to get to Jim. I'd just do that one. Make sure to soak it in a good penetrant for a couple of heat cycles first.

Ten-4 ive already started soaking it in pb blaster and ill probably change it this weekend and hope for the best, by the way the check engine light came on the day after i finished putting a steering box, pitman arm idler arm and ball joints in, funny how that works.

For an LLY the glow plugs are like those in an LB7, and are considered maintence items as they are a plain jane old style glow plug. I know I swapped mine out all at once, but I had the heads off. The 05- glow plugs are not like those of the 06+, and really should be replaced every so often(about every 100K) IMO.

Back