• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lightning my leaf springs

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
Alright here's my dilemma, my truck started it's life as a k3500 drw cclb I have since converted it to a srw. it still has the 10,000lb springs in the rear and it rides like a lumber wagon.

I am wondering if I can just remove a spring from the pack or do I need to just swap them out for 3/4ton springs, the truck is set up with airbags and a on board compressor so if I need the rear to be stiffer I can easily add air, I run them empty now.

Take the overloads out for starters. Leave the very bottom leaf spring in, but if you need to soften the pack remove leaves starting with the short ones(except the lower one as it is an overload to prevent you from slamming the bumpstops). I've done this on other trucks before to soften up the unloaded ride, and since you have bags your good when loaded.

Let some air out of your tires and see if that softens the ride for you enough to leave the springs as they are. I wouldn't touch the springs, personally, to make the truck weaker. Go find a late 70s, early 80s K30 and take a ride in it on some rough roads and over railroad tracks, then get back into your later model and drive the same route. I think you'll reconsider. These trucks (even the 3500 chassis) ride like a dream in comparison to the older ones.

Back