• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift pump

Bimpy

Reaction score
My lift pump quit after only 5000 miles. Thinking of going with electric fuel pump. Would like recommendations of what other folks have used. Thanks to all.

I didnt have time for my classic long answer before.

Leroy has the best service around along with good price and follow up support.

Frb5.

Feed it with a relay so plenty of voltage via heavy wire to keep it happy and power the relay from ignition source. Add a switch so you can fill your filter housing after filter changes. If you don't know how to build that, He sells them too. On 6.5 trucks It is normally powered off an oil pressure sensor so that if the engine dies in a crash, the fuel doesn't keep pumping all over. Mount the pump as close to the tank as possible. Remember pumps like to pump, pumps don't like to suck.

A lot of guys like to remove the in tank fuel sock and use a pre LP filter to catch the big stuff.

Losing the mechanical Lp is a good thing imo. Add a fuel gauge that is reading the pressure after the fuel filter and before the IP. While your at it, replace the IP 1/4" return line with clear tubing where it comes out the front of your IP. THis is to see bubbles at an instant for future diagnostics, and will save much guessing time if you are sucking air or not.

Loose the mechanical pump and the pushrod so it removes the slap off the camshaft. Extra room to work is nice.

Other than the clear return line mentioned above which will need replacing every few years, use sae30R9 fuel line. It is rated for all the bio fuel and methanol that is in 99.9% of all diesel fuel now.

Good mod for the 6.2 as someone always seems the bump the fuel selector switch and you think your pulling on a full tank.. LOL I will be upgrading the junk "MR G" when it dies, with the FRB 5. Other that the big dual Detroit filters its still stock. Put to new batteries in yesterday, been sitting for 9 months, 8 second count on the GP and fired right up smooth as silk. wish it wasn't so ugly!

Well now we are just gonna have to see some pics. No bragging a out an ugly truck and not showing it. Thats like saying how wrinkled up a bulldog is without showing it, now we have to see it.

Running maunual glow plug control makes me ask- what plugs. Hopefully self limiting AC Delco 60G or bosch 80034.

The resaon isnt that you forget how to count, over time the glowplugs wear and the heating cycle will be the same but you he resistance changes by thr glowplug wear. So the tips will begin to get hotter and the body stays cooler. This leads to the tips burning off and possible breaking off in the cylinders.

While bringing up bosch- reminds me- On a hummer forum a guy had some made in france 80034 that the terminals were popping off, so if you buy new ones- don't get the made in france bosch till they fix the assembly line goof.

@Will L. Its been 13 years since it had GPs. I cannot remember that far back! It got a override after having to "jump" the relay in Lowes parking lot twice( you know the nice cool day, to cold to start to warm to GP). I paid $1000 for this truck it is the most ill treated truck I know of, it does eat 700R4 though, wish it was a stick. Not the overdrive trans, had one of those, swapped it the a NV4500 it was great. It has ran on let see where do we start? scratch that, make it any oily substance that burns! Now one of my boys want to drive it to school.. wish I hadn't abused it so. I will have to post a pic though the all will understand.

Back