• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lets talk front CV half axles. 1994 K3500

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
Lets talk front CV half axles. 1994 K3500

Same question I always ask. What is the best to buy?

And where from?

What should I stay away from?

I am all about longevity of the part. If it lasts twice as long, I don't care if it costs double or more.

I was trying to find my note of who made the components and am at a loss, figurative and literal. Since going to the hummer, the cv cage breaking as a known weak link is actually preferred by some guys, myself included to protect the diff and hub gears- not an issue for normal trucks. So it has been years since I bought any, sorry.

The shaft themselves almost never break unless you have gobs of power. The cage,balls, race and is where it counts. Even the cup usually lives amazingly long.
When the cup would wear, I usually junkyarded a couple for $5.

Sorry, wish I was more help.

I have new AC Delco's, figure the stock ones lasted 26 years and if the new ones last that long I'll be happy...
they weren't cheap but I can't remember how much, I think around 5-600$ each ??
I never found the part number for the ACDelco's
|
Edit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0CU4GK/?tag=jhdiesel-20

I did find a bunch of parts that I just bought for the Suburban and truck in the Tool shed. Upper control arm with ball joint, tie rod ends and several other parts that I forgot I had.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Theres some variations in the early cv shafts. Theres also the question of wether or not those expensive ac delco half shafts are any better than the others. Several have said ac delco stopped using the good thermoplastic boots and switched to neoprene as many report short cv boot life with the new shafts. I know GM discontinued the good thermopladtic cv boots, and only offers new half shafts.

Moog sells a 5400 and a 5400b thermoplastic cv boot that they list for the 88-94 8 lug truck axles(not sure the difference). With 94 you have to check if you have abs. If you have 4 wheel abs, then you have tone rings on the outer joints for the speed sensors(starting in 95 they moved the speed sensor inside the hub bearing). So you have to know what you have. Then theres the 95-97/98, and 99+ axle shafts. Theres no real difference in them other than the flange on the inner cv, but they should interchange. For the life of me I don't know why GM made so many different design half shafts for the 88-00 trucks.

The boots on my '99 K2500 are the same size diameter for inner and outer. However, Rockauto shows different inner and outer boots by Moog:
upload_2018-4-14_18-14-28.png
Inner is smaller diameter and says "thermoplastic neoprene." Outer just says neoprene. They appear to be made of the same stuff. I sent the inners back and told them their site listing is incorrect.

Back