• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LED light bar ?

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I'm looking at buying a light bar for my truck. My ? is about current draw. Looking at one advertised at 1296w which translates to 108 amps the pics of the wiring harness shows it uses a 30 amp fuse. How can that be? Am I missing something or is it false advertising?

That 1296w is I suspect "the estimated equivalent 'too watt' output of the LED's" which I noticed is all over the place between suppliers.

I'd look for CREE LED light-bar's myself.

Something isnt right there. Advertisement "comparison" like FT said or flat out BS. Math is math, no compromise.

Look for lux, lumen, or candle power output ratings. Call the company and talk to someone. If you cant talk to someone and get a decent explanation, who do you call if there is a problem?

Many places offer Huge warranty on the LED- DONT GET TRICKED- the led itself is what many warranty and those never go bad. It is the supporting electronics that always goes bad- check out the warranty on all of it.

So I'm looking at buying a light bar for my truck. My ? is about current draw. Looking at one advertised at 1296w which translates to 108 amps the pics of the wiring harness shows it uses a 30 amp fuse. How can that be? Am I missing something or is it false advertising?
Often they use it as a comparison to a regular bulb ie: it may have the same output as a 1296 watt bulb.

Perhaps this is the new Common Core math???

My hand calc is coming up with:
80 LED's * 6W = 480W
480W / 12v = 40A

So, how is that thing supposed to work with a 30A fuse?

If it is ridiculously inexpensive, say in the $25 range, I might try it for grins. If the seller wants real money for it, I'd pass.

Be cautious about "inexpensive" light bars. I have two 9 inch bars mounted on the valence and they emit a noticeable amount of EMI, to the point where I moved my antenna to the back rack and added ferrite chokes to the wiring. Also 200550 lumens is insane. look up the 99000 lumen Toyota tundra to have a comparison.

I was looking at 2 different light bars it has 216 LEDs first part of the ad says 6w second part says 216 x 5w and the lumens are 200880 I was going by my foggy memory before

That looks like way too many LED's. I'm guessing you're looking at a 42" Bar? Just get a standard twin row, 42", combo beam. Although Philips and Osram LED's are some of the most common, CREE LED's actually outperformed them, when used in a combo pattern.

it an estimate on the watts. LED's aren't measured that way.
i have a 60w on my car. i went out of the way to get a spot. not combo or flood. the glare doesn't get in my way when seeing distance.
here's a good article about that:
can't find it now but i will.

Back